PDA

View Full Version : Remote Start installed / TOD problem

cyronman
11/09/2007, 11:04 AM
So I had an AftMrkt alarm installed last week and spoiled myself with the remote start feature.
Everything works fine, unless it's started using the auto start;
The TOD seems to not activate upon starting (0 out of the 3 front end boxes lit up), until the tranny hits 2nd or 3rd gear, then the TOD activates and 'overreacts', causing a noticable clunk with all 3 boxes lit up.
Again, this does not happen when started normally with the key.
I've searched through threads about remote starters and was aware of this one even before the install:

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=1811&highlight=tod+remote+start

Taking particular notice to this quote:

The biggest problem is the second ignition wire tap.

If it is not hooked up, the TOD is not engaged by the remote start, and you will either have harsh shifting, or winter mode at startup.

Rickster

The VX is back at the shop as we speak getting looked at for a solution.
But is there any other info out there I should be aware of?

Thanx all,
Cy

johnnyapollo
11/09/2007, 01:24 PM
I had no issues with my autostart. Sounds like they spliced in at the wrong point or something.

-- John

JHarris1385
11/09/2007, 01:55 PM
On this thread there is a link and within that link there is a report of remote starter failures.

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?threadid=12264

Gussie2000
05/31/2008, 05:52 PM
Yes you got the common problem about remote starters installed on VX's.

The important key here is to turn off the remote starter.

I install one my self by bulldog security. I only use it when the weather is considerably cold,just 10 minutes & that's it.There after i turn off the remote & use my keys to pull out of my garage.

If you keep using the remote starter to turn the VX & drive away you'll soon regreted.

Isuzu don't recomend the use of remote starters on the VX's because there's no rely,switch,pass or solenoide to link the remote starter's main chip to the T-O-D computer on the VX's transmission,that's why you trans behave like going crazzy :eek: Is just not compatible any way.

rowhard
05/31/2008, 07:06 PM
Sure am glad I had the dealer I bought the VX from do it. Sounds way to much of a pain we all know where to myself.

cyronman
05/31/2008, 09:20 PM
Yes you got the common problem about remote starters installed on VX's.

The important key here is to turn off the remote starter.

I install one my self by bulldog security. I only use it when the weather is considerably cold,just 10 minutes & that's it.There after i turn off the remote & use my keys to pull out of my garage.

If you keep using the remote starter to turn the VX & drive away you'll soon regreted.

Isuzu don't recomend the use of remote starters on the VX's because there's no rely,switch,pass or solenoide to link the remote starter's main chip to the T-O-D computer on the VX's transmission,that's why you trans behave like going crazzy :eek: Is just not compatible any way.

Yep, that's what I'll do too. If I remote start it, I'll shut it off then start it with the key. I've been waiting until I need to go back to the VX mechanic in Monrovia to have look at the wiring.

VX crazy
05/31/2008, 09:23 PM
Hmmm, I have had my Autopage alarm with remote start since almost new, and never a problem with my TOD, I remote start it daily to get the VX cooled down before I go outside. Sounds like an installation problem.....

JHarris1385
05/31/2008, 09:27 PM
Make : ISUZU Model : VEHICROSS Year : 2000
Manufacturer : ISUZU MANUFACTURING SERVICES OF AMERICA
Service Bulletin Number : IB00S007 Date of Bulletin : FEB 01, 2000
NHTSA Item Number : 614137
Component : UNKNOWN OR OTHER

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/tsb/results.cfm

TSB for this issue.

Gussie2000
05/31/2008, 11:22 PM
Yep, that's what I'll do too. If I remote start it, I'll shut it off then start it with the key. I've been waiting until I need to go back to the VX mechanic in Monrovia to have look at the wiring.

Oh yes,i guess that's your best move towards having that issue solve.

What i believe is since the TOD is engaged once your crank on the engine probally the remote starter you've installed doesn't send to the TOD system any signal to engage the TOD PCM as just as starting the engine with your keys.

I could be wrong,but there's nothing else i can think about :rolleyes:

pbkid
06/01/2008, 05:18 PM
i work at circuit city and do remote starts all day long...i did a remote start on my VX and it came out fine....if you need i will send you the information regarding what color wires you need to attach what to....

Kenny
06/01/2008, 07:25 PM
I have a Compustar (Biju did too). No issues with remote start at all.

Maybe pbk is on the right track and the installer may have tried to "wing it" instead of following a vehicle specific wiring diagram from the alarm manufacturer, or other... They may have missed a critical step and caused the TOD issue.

Let us know if the return visit solved the problem (and maybe what the original problem was too if they'll tell you).

Good Luck.

cyronman
06/01/2008, 07:38 PM
i work at circuit city and do remote starts all day long...i did a remote start on my VX and it came out fine....if you need i will send you the information regarding what color wires you need to attach what to....
YES, dude, please!
That's where I had it installed. That would help a lot man!

PM me?