PDA

View Full Version : Northern Nevada VX Camping Meet

nfpgasmask
11/15/2007, 10:13 AM
OK, been thinking about this for a while. The city of Elko, NV is about 4 hours away from Reno, and just over 3 hours from SLC.

North of Elko, I hear there is beautiful country and good camping around the Wilson Reservoir. South of Elko we have the Ruby Mountains, where we could also find some good camping.

So, I want to organize a VX meet. I think myself, CrnCnn, Ascinder and Zeus would (should) be down for a meet. Anyone else is welcome to join us. Boise is only about 4.5 hours away, Vagas is a bit of trek (about 9 hours) and then there is always Sacramento and the Bay Area folks who could make the drive. Fargo is about 18 hours away, not to bad ;), and there are also the Colorado folks only another few hours away. Anyway, you get the point, lets do it.

Dates: This is the hard part. I'm moving in late March or early April. My wife's B-day is at the end of April and I doubt she will want to camp on her B-day. :) May will be hairy also, with everyone going to Moab. So early March is a good option for me, but might be too cold still for some people. Otherwise, we could plan on June.

I am game for taking 1 or 2 days off work. So we could do a Friday-Monday trip, or something like that.

Anyway, lets get some thoughts together and see if this is possible. :cool:

Bart

ZEUS
11/15/2007, 11:20 AM
Well I found this link intruiging: http://www.delalbright.com/Articles/elko_gem.html

It seems like April is when the snow clears from the mountain passes. It might be worth scheduling a trip then, or in June like you said. Great camping weather, great trail running weather, and plenty of time to plan ahead! Whatcha think?

nfpgasmask
11/15/2007, 11:51 AM
Yup, that's exactly what I am talking about. I have a buddy who hunts out there and he said April is when the snow starts to disappear, so this would be a good time if we decide to go earlier. For me, June will be "safer" because I know I have nothing going on then, but earlier sounds better CAUSE I NEED A VACATION. :)

From what I hear, there is a lot of pretty country up that way, lots of trees and lots of water, so the scenery should be nice. And if we are on BLM land, we should be able to wheel, drink and shoot if we want -not at the same time, of course! :) It should make for an awesome time and a sweet place for a meet up. So I am game. We just need to get some input on who wants to join us and what the other schedules are like...

Bart

Well I found this link intruiging: http://www.delalbright.com/Articles/elko_gem.html

It seems like April is when the snow clears from the mountain passes. It might be worth scheduling a trip then, or in June like you said. Great camping weather, great trail running weather, and plenty of time to plan ahead! Whatcha think?

cyronman
11/15/2007, 12:48 PM
I am game for something like this. So is the gf and the chihuahua.
Tentatively, we're supposed to be going to Colorado Springs in March. Hadn't thought about driving, but could incorporate taking the VX depending on how this gets planned out.
I would *like* to get to Moab next year too, but I haven't even begun to seriously plan on that.
Two trips, THAT far away, that close together would be rough.

It's just just hard to plan right now.
I might not even be in San Diego come that time next year.
But, I am interested.

Knigh7s
11/15/2007, 02:12 PM
Well, I couldn't make the last one. But I sure would like to make this one! Count me as a maybe...

nfpgasmask
11/15/2007, 02:39 PM
Yeah, I would be way cool if we could have around 5-10 ppl meet up.

I'll bring my Chi too!

Bart

CrnCnn
11/15/2007, 07:27 PM
I am up for whatever. June would be incredible weather.

ZEUS
11/16/2007, 07:59 AM
I'll bring my Dober to eat your huahua's! :p

nfpgasmask
11/16/2007, 10:16 AM
Nice, mine will probably cower in the tent or the VX the whole time. She hates big dogs! But thats cool, dogs, guns, booze, w00t! Lets keep the ideas flowin...

:) Bart

I'll bring my Dober to eat your huahua's! :p

Triathlete
11/16/2007, 10:19 AM
Fatten him up Zues...my 275lbs RottiDane is hungry!:rolleyes:

P.S. He has LOST 25lbs since being put on thyroid meds...apparently his is hyperactive!:bgwb:

ZEUS
11/16/2007, 10:43 AM
Fatten him up Zues...my 275lbs RottiDane is hungry!:rolleyes:

P.S. He has LOST 25lbs since being put on thyroid meds...apparently his is hyperactive!:bgwb:
PICS! A 275 lb dog is a must see!

Triathlete
11/16/2007, 11:03 AM
Oops...fat fingers and bad eyes! Should have been 175!:o

Here he is
http://shutter06.pictures.aol.com/data/pictures/01/008/42/77/7C/53/uodNXMeCmh6dZWf9KBsVRb6LdON43dW60300.jpg

...now back to the original topic!
Sounds like you guys will have a great time in a great area. Unfortunately I'll be broke after Moab!

nfpgasmask
11/16/2007, 01:51 PM
Billy, on one hand I don't wanna know, but then on the other hand, I really can't help but wonder how enormous a pile that dog must leave for you. :eek: You should post a picture of it's poo with a penny or something for size reference. :p That is one huge beast!

:) Bart

Oops...fat fingers and bad eyes! Should have been 175!:o

Here he is
http://shutter06.pictures.aol.com/data/pictures/01/008/42/77/7C/53/uodNXMeCmh6dZWf9KBsVRb6LdON43dW60300.jpg

...now back to the original topic!
Sounds like you guys will have a great time in a great area. Unfortunately I'll be broke after Moab!

ZEUS
02/21/2008, 07:14 AM
Anyone else feel the Elko 6.3 earthquake this morning? It rocked buildings here in SLC!

nfpgasmask
02/21/2008, 08:22 AM
Anyone else feel the Elko 6.3 earthquake this morning? It rocked buildings here in SLC!

Negative, sir. 6.3 is pretty sizable too.

Bart

nfpgasmask
02/21/2008, 08:37 AM

And oh yeah, just another reason why the Yucca Mountain Repository is a BAD idea.

Bart

cyronman
06/01/2008, 08:24 PM
Any recent ideas on this idea?

nfpgasmask
06/01/2008, 08:26 PM
Well, we all still want to camp down by Mammoth Lakes and we all still want to do an Elko area camping meet. I've just been so busy I haven't even had time to think about it...

Bart

Mrs. CRNCNN
06/01/2008, 08:54 PM
Well, we all still want to camp down by Mammoth Lakes and we all still want to do an Elko area camping meet. I've just been so busy I haven't even had time to think about it...

Bart

I think we should do some kind of camping soon! :clap::clap::clap::clap:

cyronman
06/01/2008, 09:08 PM
I actually meant to bring up the Mammoth trip.
Mammoth would be way more doable for me.

snowtrooper1966
06/01/2008, 10:13 PM
July?

nfpgasmask
06/02/2008, 08:47 AM
How busy does it get down there for the 4th? That would be good for me because it would be an extra day. We could head down there on Thursday night and setup camp, and then have all day Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

Shall we start a thread and make it formal?

Bart

nfpgasmask
06/02/2008, 08:50 AM
And Justin, you could call in sick on Thursday, and drive over to Reno, and then head out with us on Thursday afternoon. Come on man, its only like 7 hours, right? :)

Bart

snowtrooper1966
06/02/2008, 01:29 PM
How busy does it get down there for the 4th? That would be good for me because it would be an extra day. We could head down there on Thursday night and setup camp, and then have all day Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

Shall we start a thread and make it formal?

Bart

Yes, new thread...
4thish works for me.