PDA

View Full Version : Dead tensioner

Triathlete
11/15/2007, 02:20 PM
While going to work today my charbing system idiot light came on. No big deal, I had been cleaning the terminals last weekend, maybe I had not tightened it. Got to my destination, popped the hood and found my serpentine belt shredded into many many pieces. So after a short day at work, I drove home. Luckily it was a cool day here and the temp never rose above 1/2 way! Went out and purchased a new Goodyear Gatorback (part# 4060895 cost $33) serp. belt from my local Checkers. Installed belt. Started engine and discovered the tension pulley not rotating. Quickly turned off engine before new belt was damaged! Took belt back off and found the pulley to be frozen solid! Removed the pulley and the bearings were shot. So back to the local Checkers and picked up a new Goodyear tensioner pulley (part# 49005 cost $17). Installed the new pulley, installed the new belt and now she purrs like a kitten. Be sure and check your pulley's before replacing the belt...will save you from doing the job twice. :rolleyes:

nfpgasmask
11/15/2007, 02:51 PM
Is this the first time you changed yours, Billy? I changed mine when I bought it. My stock belt was way cracked up at 28,000 miles...

Bart

While going to work today my charbing system idiot light came on. No big deal, I had been cleaning the terminals last weekend, maybe I had not tightened it. Got to my destination, popped the hood and found my serpentine belt shredded into many many pieces. So after a short day at work, I drove home. Luckily it was a cool day here and the temp never rose above 1/2 way! Went out and purchased a new Goodyear Gatorback (part# 4060895 cost $33) serp. belt from my local Checkers. Installed belt. Started engine and discovered the tension pulley not rotating. Quickly turned off engine before new belt was damaged! Took belt back off and found the pulley to be frozen solid! Removed the pulley and the bearings were shot. So back to the local Checkers and picked up a new Goodyear tensioner pulley (part# 49005 cost $17). Installed the new pulley, installed the new belt and now she purrs like a kitten. Be sure and check your pulley's before replacing the belt...will save you from doing the job twice. :rolleyes:

Triathlete
11/15/2007, 03:52 PM
Yep! It had a new belt when I bought it.

cyronman
11/15/2007, 05:03 PM
Billy-

I know I need to do this soon.
My mechanic recommends original Isuzu parts for EVERYTHING.

How better/different is the Gatorback belt?

Thanx!

Triathlete
11/15/2007, 08:09 PM
I decided on the Goodyear belt after searching and reading a lot of good reviews of it on this site. It is suppose to be quieter and have a longer life. Mine is defenitly quieter...of course that could be because of the pulley being shot!

BigSwede
11/21/2007, 01:49 PM
Luckily it was a cool day here and the temp never rose above 1/2 way!
You probably know this, but the water pump is driven by the timing belt, not the serp belt, so unless you were sitting in hot, stop and go traffic where the fan clutch and fan needed to engage, you should have been fine for temp...and you were! :cool: