PDA

View Full Version : How much did you pay for 30K service?

mrtew
06/07/2003, 11:00 PM
I was reading on the old forum about people getting quotes from the Dealer for $450 to $700 for the 30,000 mile service. Others said that you can do it all yourself in the driveway. Others said that you can get it done at a Mom and Pop shop for $150 - $350. I always thought I'd spend any amount on my truck to keep it primo, but it's just fine and now that the time has come I really don't want to donate $500 to the dealer afterall. I have a supergood superhonest Mom&Pop shop on the corner that I trust about 10 times as much as my dealer so I'd rather go there, but what I am really worried about is that if my engine ever blows the dealer will not go to bat for me on the warrantee because I went somewhere else. Or would they be just as glad to have the warrantee work all paid for by Isuzu if the worst ever happens, and not even care who has done the service in the past? And how much have people been paying for the 30K service recently? I am feeling really cheap these days!

SPAZZ
06/08/2003, 03:03 AM
I spent $384.62 and that's if they tell you your tranny doesn't need servicing. If so, plan on doubling that!!!

Mine was done at a Isuzu dealer

zadam123
06/08/2003, 07:39 AM
I paid about 50o form my dealer and never again. most of the money was for changing the fluids which i found out later that i could have saved almost 300 by bringing it ot the nearest juffy lube or 10 minute oil change place. As far as warrentee work if you have all your reciepts they should be obligted to do any warrentee work, but then again who knows with these ISUZU dealers:confused:

adam

Teckhardt
06/08/2003, 08:27 AM
I just paid $680 for the 30K service thru the dealer, but they also found that my rear diff was shot and are replacing it under warranty.

I probably would not go to the dealer once the warranty is gone but for now I think it is worth it. If you ask them to check something and it ends up being a problem later you have it on record.

geshaw30
06/08/2003, 09:23 AM
$391.32 for the 30K + $79 to repack the wheel bearings. Had it done 10 months ago @ McKinzey Bond Isuzu (Houston).
________
Nevada Marijuana Dispensaries (http://nevada.dispensaries.org/)

Baxman
06/08/2003, 09:26 AM
$500 last year about this time. I wanted to support my gasping-for-breath local dealership, but they went TU about 2 months later, anyhow:mad:

Heraclid
06/08/2003, 12:46 PM
Personally, I wouldn't let a Jiffy Lube touch my VX. And a lot of people would tell you the same.

Dreadlion
06/08/2003, 03:49 PM
I paid $500.34 at Crest Auto Group 2 months ago

edyavno
06/09/2003, 07:50 AM
Not 30k, but still relevant. I paid $142.95 for the 7.5k service at the dealer.

transVXmen
06/09/2003, 01:27 PM
Can someone post the details or list of what is performed on a 30K tune up?

TimG
06/09/2003, 02:47 PM
On club.vmag VehiX said:

Here is what they should intend to do! :

1.Check battery fluid level
2.Check Engine coolant level
3.Check Brake fluid level
4.Check fluid leaks
5.Change Engine Oil
6.Replace Engine oil filter
7.Check cooling and heater hoses
8.*(2)CHeck Exhaust
9.Check Engine Drive Belt
10.Check Tires & Wheels
11.Check Steering operation
12.Check Brake lines & hoses
13.Check Disk Breaks
14.Check Brake Pedal Play
15.Check Parking Brake
16.Lube Accelerator linkage
17.CHeck suspension and steering
18."*CHECK" power steering fluid
19.Lube body chasis
20.Check TOD system fluid
21.Check auto cruise control linkage and hoses
22.Check starter safety switch
23.Check acclerator linkage
24.Lube key lock cylinder
25."CHANGE" power steering fluid
I suspect if any of these items are out of play or out of tune they should replace or fix at this time.

Anita
06/09/2003, 02:54 PM
I spent around $375 and did it in two segments a month apart, just to minimize the blow to my wallet.

But I think there was more to my 30K than just "checking" . I think they cleaned out the fuel injection at that time. Im not where I have my paperwork to "check" for sure. ;Dr;

JAFO
06/10/2003, 01:34 PM
Just had mine done last week for $468 at Braley and Graham Isuzu in Beaverton, OR.

Personally, I wouldn't let a Jiffy Lube touch my VX.
At a similar place called "Oil Can Henry's" they stripped the head of my oil plug by using an SAE socket set insted of Metric. Fortunately that was on my '93 Pup that I had before my VX. And on my Jeep Wrangler they wanted to change my serpintine belt but after 15 minutes of messing around with it they finally admitted they didn't know how to get my current one off. I'll never go back to them.

Navigator
06/11/2003, 05:47 AM
My VX took over 4 years to reach 30k, so my original warranty ran out long before the "BIG 30K (ka ching) CHECK OUT" ka ching :D I spent less than $100 on fluids and not only checked, but replaced everything I could get my hands on. Also got a set of greasable bar bushings. VX has got to be the easiest vehicle to work on I have ever owned. Heck you don't even need tools to change the serpentine belt :D And with all that ground clearance we have, heck you only need to lift it when you remove a wheel.

$500 is a lot to pay for checking, I suggest you buy the needed fluids, get a little dirty, put some wrench marks on your "CHECK" bolts, and keep all receipts. change your fluids yourself as often as you like, but at least as often as suggested, and save a great deal of money.

VR4-Quest
06/11/2003, 10:43 AM
I just had my 30,000 mile service done....cost $290 from Fred Martin Isuzu. They did all the checks, plus changed the tranny fluid, front and rear diffs, flushed the coolant system, and repacked the front bearings. I had already changed the oil and TOD fluid, plus supplied the Royal purple synthetic fluids. The only thing they didnt do was change the power steering fluid (they questioned that as did I) and the auto tranny fluid change only took 3.5-4 qts???

mrtew
06/11/2003, 03:57 PM
Well, I called my dealer and just couldn't face the onslaught of half truths and comeons and took it to my corner shop where I trust the owners and mechanics 100%; about 12 times as much as the dealer. (Once I was quoted $175 to change the front marker lite in my VX bumper.... I did it myself for $1. They said the bumper had to come off). Anyway, they did most of the stuff but they said they didn't to the wheel bearings because they are sealed and if you break the seal some ring inside can't be put back and they are basically ruined, but they are fine and don't bother. What is the deal with that? Is special equipment needed, or are dealers just saying that they are repacking them and saving up the money to pay for new ones if you ever claim them on your warrantee or what? Should I try to have them done at the dealer or just wait and see if they every go bad? If each 'repack' is $75 every $30,000 miles that might be more money than just replacing them at 100,000 miles. Help?

Svx
06/12/2003, 06:21 PM
I did everything myself in my driveway for a fraction of the cost.
my rotors were glazed and i had to do a brake job anyway,
so I repacked the front bearings too. if you're not mechanically inclined I wouldn't recommend trying the repack yourself as you do have to tear into the hubs. They are sealed units, but not "you
can never open" sealed. they have to get opened up to turn or replace your front rotors during a brake job... for me it was easy. do most of it yourself if you can ...
BTW tew, I passed you on mound rd. awhile back, (wintertime)
my vx looked like a salt lick ....

-Tim

Pens
06/13/2003, 03:35 PM
Tew and SVX, do you guys go to Southfield for your factory work? I am in between there and Ann Arbor so I can use either and obviously want to go to the best of the two. Any advice?

Tone
06/13/2003, 04:36 PM
You definitely want to do your wheel bearings at 30K or soon there after - they need to be repacked with grease and retightened as they surely will have some play from wear. Left unserviced, the races and the bearings can be destroyed and it will cost a LOT more to repair than service. There are safety issues that relate to loose wheel bearings as well.

mrtew
06/13/2003, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by Pens
Tew and SVX, do you guys go to Southfield for your factory work? I am in between there and Ann Arbor so I can use either and obviously want to go to the best of the two. Any advice?

I go to the Warren dealer (Key Isuzu) but I am open to advice too. I know there are several Detroit VX owners here.... any recommendations? Key is not that great I don't think but they've never really done me wrong either.

andy454
06/19/2003, 07:24 AM
If you want to re-pack your bearings feel free to drop me an e-mail and I will walk you through the process for a small fee of a 12 pack... It is not that hard and I have all the tools you need. I just did my girls trooper last week with some synthetic grease. I live near ypsilanti. Not too far from you. If you want to learn I am here to help.
Andy

mrtew
06/19/2003, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by andy454
If you want to re-pack your bearings feel free to drop me an e-mail and I will walk you through the process for a small fee of a 12 pack... It is not that hard and I have all the tools you need. I just did my girls trooper last week with some synthetic grease. I live near ypsilanti. Not too far from you. If you want to learn I am here to help.
Andy

I might just take you up on that over the shutdown break next month! What kind of beer do you like? ;Dy;

Pens
06/19/2003, 08:28 PM
We should bring a few VX's together on one of the run's this summer. They aren't classic but they are sweet!

andy454
06/20/2003, 05:44 AM
Any free beer is good beer!! One day during the first week of the shutdown would be fine with me. All you need to get is the seals and I have the rest. We will even use the synthetic grease compliments of Isuzu. Just drop me an e-mail.