PDA

View Full Version : check engine lite

jims585
12/06/2007, 12:06 PM
I was going up a steep hill when i had to accelerate to pass a semi that was going to turn into my lane [trucker didn't bother to signal] when I pushed down on pedal the trans didn't seem like it had a clue, kept trying to up shift then down shift. The engine lost power for a second and then the check engine lite came on. I exited road and checked all fluids and examined motor as much as I could see. There didn't appear to be any signs of trouble, so I decided to return home rather than continue to where I was going. The lite went out after 30 minutes and stayed out for the remainder of my drive 230 miles. I also thought that I heard a backfire when this happened but am not sure as too much was happening and the noise from stereo and semi was loud. I don't know if any damage was done [can't detect any] but if anyone has had similar problem I would love to hear about it.

etlsport
12/06/2007, 12:30 PM
sounds like a similar problem to one that I had.. I was cruising at about 70mph, went to accelerate and had almost no power, couldn't get the RPMs up over 2000, and check engine light came on. I pulled over, turned the car off, turned it back on and the light was gone and the truck ran fine. I replaced my fuel filter and fuel pressure regulator and that seems to have cured my problem. you could try to have the code read at an autozone or somewhere like that for free to see if the code is still stored

jims585
12/06/2007, 02:22 PM
sounds like a similar problem to one that I had.. I was cruising at about 70mph, went to accelerate and had almost no power, couldn't get the RPMs up over 2000, and check engine light came on. I pulled over, turned the car off, turned it back on and the light was gone and the truck ran fine. I replaced my fuel filter and fuel pressure regulator and that seems to have cured my problem. you could try to have the code read at an autozone or somewhere like that for free to see if the code is still stored
Went to auto parts store was told code is no longer in computer. Thanks will try changing fuel filter and regulator. The engine lite stayed on for at least 30 minutes after I had restarted car and I shut off and restarted many times. It went out after about 30 miles of driving. Talked to mechanic and he said it sounded to him as the computer had misread the initial message that I was accelerating and fed the trans wrong info. He said this was in lay man terms...

tom4bren
12/07/2007, 07:42 AM
Check your airfilter & MAS (or MAFS ???). While on a trip to TN last spring mine was doing something similar but the lite stayed on till servicing. I noticed it was only losing power when the fuel was less than 1/2 so I also put in some injector cleaner which seemed to help. The codes I was throwing were for the MAS - luckly it only needed to be cleaned & not replaced.

alanbradley
12/07/2007, 08:04 AM
This is the joy of a Scangauge - it captures the code and all the realtime engine data (speed, revs, throttle position, etc) to aid diagnosis.

Not that I'm a convert or anything, but mine will be going straight in on Sunday night...

A