PDA

View Full Version : Windshield washer pump not getting power?

Kenny
12/20/2007, 04:04 PM
Taking care of all the obvious first...

I can't get a voltage reading at the windshield washer pump motor connector. (pump will run fine when 12V is applied to it from another source).

There are no fuses that I know of. So that leaves; a) cracked wire somewhere :mad: (hope not) or b) a bad switch at the control arm, or c) ????

Anyone have a c)? or know if the control arm is prone to issues?

this weekend I'll try to take a few readings on the power wire form the steering column once I figure out what wires to test - oh yay.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Cheers!

Solitude
12/20/2007, 04:20 PM
if you dont get it fixed.. can I have the pump?.. mine sprung a leak...lol..jk

Ldub
12/20/2007, 10:43 PM
(or c???)

Are there any relays/circuit breakers involved?:_wrench:

rowhard
12/21/2007, 03:46 AM
Take a look at the electrical troubleshooting manual under downloads. Starts at page 125. It shows a 20A fuse in the dash fuse box, hope that helps.

tom4bren
12/21/2007, 06:56 AM
"bad switch at the control arm"

Mine sticks real bad but still works. Hope yours is just a fuse.

"mine sprung a leak"

Don't know how, but the hose came loose from the reservoir on mine. Could that be your 'leak'. It just slips back on but it's a pain to get to.

Solitude
12/22/2007, 01:27 AM
No.. I so wish.. the bottom of the pump cracked where it goes into the resiviour (sic) so I have to find a new one..

Kenny
12/22/2007, 08:24 AM
Thanks guys, found the problem. exposed wire down in behind the headlight where it comes off the wire harness.

Solitude: pumps are very cheap and easy to replace.
See this thread for replacement:
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=8579&highlight=washer+pump

Ldub: I do find it strange that there is no fuse for the pump. There is a fuse for the wiper arm motor. but it is separate from the pump I think.

Cheers all.
Hope everyone gets what they want for Christmas.:bwgy:

Ldub
12/22/2007, 08:45 AM
Thanks guys, found the problem. exposed wire down in behind the headlight where it comes off the wire harness.

Ldub: I do find it strange that there is no fuse for the pump. There is a fuse for the wiper arm motor. but it is separate from the pump I think.

Cheers all.
Hope everyone gets what they want for Christmas.:bwgy:

I'm just glad you found it & got it fixed. Wiring gremlins in general suck, but having to fix them outdoors on the frigid Canadian tundra magnifies the suck factor by about eleventybillion.:rolleyesg

Speaking of what I want for Christmas...you can stop sending all the cold air down here to me any time now...I've had aboot enough!:rotate::razzgray: