PDA

View Full Version : Window Problem during cold weather

tysamigo
12/27/2007, 10:16 PM
After using the help files on this group (pricless info) I successfully fixed the window problem on both windows with the spacers (and 1 window actually needed a new regulator).

Now that cold temp is here, immediately now the windows (mainly the driver side) are VERY slow. The colder it gets the slower the window.

Is the regulator or added spacers causing the problem or is there an issue with the motor slowing down in colder weather or some other problem?

I will start the VX and let it warm for 5-7 min prior to driving when it's cold. The windows go a little faster but only achieve "normal" speed after the truck has been running for 15-20 min.

I don't notice any part of the door panel moving or any abnormal noise of stress while the window is going up or down, nothing out of the ordinary and no unusual sounds.

Kenny
12/27/2007, 10:51 PM
any goo gumming up the tracks when it gets cold?
good ol' silicone spray does wonders.

tysamigo
12/29/2007, 08:17 AM
I applied the silicon (as always, about once per month on schedule) and it has not fixed the problem. Thanks however.

Any other suggestions?

etlsport
12/29/2007, 08:29 AM
wrap a credit card in a paper towel and swipe it through the channel a few times to clear the gunk out... adding more and more silicon will eventually make it pretty grimy in there im sure so some of the buildup isnt helping im sure.. i havent had any major window problems in probably a year, maybe more all i do is spray in some Jig a Loo (orange can from home depot) once every month or two and if i feel it start to slow down at all, break out the ol credit card and paper towel (also used the back end of a fork once but eh) and usually the paper towel comes out pretty dirty, if you are feeling really ambitious you could pull the door panel off and clean the bottom of the tracks too.. probably help keep it clean for longer good luck!

ChernerParts
01/22/2008, 09:12 AM
That is correct. Periodically remove the tracks and clean them of all lubricants, then apply a fresh layer of your favorite (We like white lithium grease for the tracks, and sillicone for the runners)

mbeach
01/22/2008, 09:25 AM
Rubber looses a lot of flexiblity when it gets cold, so a bit of slowness at the top of the window's travel is to be expected.
Cleaning the tracks, both in the window frame and behind the door panel will help. Remove that cheap factory grease and put in some clean lithium lube (I use white grease). I have experimented with White Lightning before too -a little messy to apply, but it seemed to work.

Also, there's a moisture issue. If any condensation gets in the door panel (if you removed/tore those plastic vapor barriers behind the panel) there will be a moisture issue inside of the door skin. This contributed to the occasional cold weather related failure of my passenger side door lock (water would collect within the gearing, freezing up the works, and preventing the lock from moving). This also slowed my window travel.

If everything is dry and lubed, you won't have a problem. Once everything behind the skin is cleaned up, you can replace that vapor barrier with some Visqueen sheeting and a little flashing caulk.
Once I had the mechanics of the door completely separated from the heat of the interior, all of my problems disappeared.
Windows and locks operated smoothly to beyond -50F.

tom4bren
01/22/2008, 11:28 AM
Didn't Kenny or someone disassemble their lock mechanism & found it was VERY corroded? If you had water in yours, you may want to search for that thread.

mbeach
01/22/2008, 12:40 PM
My lock mechanism was very corroded.
The freezing water actually split the case open.

It was rebuildable, after the motor was cleaned up. I had to get creative with the casing though.

The worst part of the whole thing was when this mechanism froze, it prevented the door handle from opening the door (from the inside too). Not cool at all.

tom4bren
01/22/2008, 02:30 PM
Dang frozen water. Ruins everything.

Ldub
01/22/2008, 03:52 PM
Dang frozen water. Ruins everything.

Well, except for "Happy Hour" :thumbup:..:dance:..:thumbup:

tom4bren
01/23/2008, 03:59 AM
touche'

Joe Isuzu
01/31/2008, 05:58 PM
I've noticed the same problem as well when it got colder in my area, the driver's side was a little slower but the passenger side was slow as molasses, I wondered if the rainguards I had installed were causing the problem but when it heated up later in the day they ran fine, I figured with 90k the regulators are likely on their way out at any point in the future and I just avoid opening the windows unnecessarily, besides it keeps the heat in when it's cold outside :)

tysamigo
02/03/2008, 07:56 PM
I think I may have found the problem. Today as I touched up my yellow front door speaker covers, I noticed a mistake. I was out of Silicon Spray so I used White Lithium Grease instead to lubricate the seal/track for the windows....hmmmm.... it was crusty and all gunked up. I cleaned them very well with silicon spray and a towel and lubricated (this time with only silicon spray) and so far the problem has vanished.

Of course, I did this a couple of days ago and it hasn't been as cold, so the jury's still out but once I cleaned everything even in the warm weather it was a very noticeable difference of how fast the windows go up and down.

:)