PDA

View Full Version : Must be the midwinter blues....

Chopper
01/26/2008, 03:46 AM
Snow up to your butt.....another single digit day....not a paid day off in sight. It's not all bad! We have Shia marrying Sunni in Iraq... giant UFOs in Texas... a "two inch tall rock" on Mars, that looks like the old Bigfoot photos (the guy in a gorilla suit films)..... The Rolex 24 starts today. I'm headed to the track (Daytona) in a few hours. Usually go for the start, go home, come back to watch the rotors glowing orange in the darkness for a few hours, go home, then go back in the AM for the finish...being 25 miles from the track has its advantages:) The 500 is in a few weeks... then Sebring. Downside to all these southern gasoline parties?....I gotta cut the grass Sunday afternoon:rolleyes: (sorry, I couldn't resist) It's so quiet here lately....just trying to stir something up:p

johnnyapollo
01/26/2008, 04:37 AM
I'm off to pick up a new (old) Rockwell radial drill press this morning, then off to the Atlanta Woodworking show to meet some guys and check out the new goods. One of my friends who sells woods has a small load for me (getting it at the show) - got a bit going on, provided we don't get the freezing rain/snow mix they started talking about last night. I'm not letting it stop me this weekend.

-- John

Ldub
01/26/2008, 09:52 AM
Snow up to your butt.....another single digit day....not a paid day off in sight. It's not all bad! We have Shia marrying Sunny in Iraq... giant UFOs in Texas... a "two inch tall rock" on Mars, that looks like the old Bigfoot photos (the guy in a gorilla suit films)..... The Rolex 24 starts today. I'm headed to the track (Daytona) in a few hours. Usually go for the start, go home, come back to watch the rotors glowing orange in the darkness for a few hours, go home, then go back in the AM for the finish...being 25 miles from the track has its advantages:) The 500 is in a few weeks... then Sebring. Downside to all these southern gasoline parties?....I gotta cut the grass Sunday afternoon:rolleyes: (sorry, I couldn't resist) It's so quiet here lately....just trying to stir something up:p

Well, all that sounds just ducky...
Round these here parts we finally climbed out of the cellar for a few days of above zero temps & it's even supposed to get up to the point where water stops freezing & everything turns to slop tomorrow...oh joy.:rolleyesg
However, it's not all bad, in less than a month my dented up old hot rod will be paid off,:thumbup: spring is just around the corner & Moab is on the horizon.:cool:

Life is good.

Chopper
01/26/2008, 10:17 AM
I'm off to pick up a new (old) Rockwell radial drill press this morning, then off to the Atlanta Woodworking show to meet some guys and check out the new goods. One of my friends who sells woods has a small load for me (getting it at the show) - got a bit going on, provided we don't get the freezing rain/snow mix they started talking about last night. I'm not letting it stop me this weekend.

-- JohnDidn't know wood was your thing, John. I grew up in a house of furniture/custom kitchen builders. I worked in the shop, for my grandfather, from 12 to 25 or so. My uncle still runs the shop/business (Chellew Kitchens) and I still manage to build one something a year.

Triathlete
01/26/2008, 05:26 PM
I went out for a nice "little" trail run this morning just after the sun came up...

...in shorts and a singlet! Oh, the inhumanities of winter!:rolleyes: Make it go away!
Then I went and enjoyed the UofA basketball team putting the whoop on Washington with VCamilo!:bwgy:

johnnyapollo
01/26/2008, 06:50 PM
Hey Wayne,

Yeah I've been playing around with furniture design for a while - lately I've been picking up old woodworking machinery with the idea of restoration and use - have a lot of old delta/rockwell equipment including a '48 Unisaw. This is one hobby I keep coming back to so I think it's in my blood. I worked in a cabinet shop for a while when I was in college and did some custom wood carving - I also took a spin a being a framer and trim carpenter - stuff like that comes in really useful when I started doing general contracting work. My problem with a lot of this is I've seen the shoddy work so many people in the building trades do, so I have to do everything myself - it get's done right but takes forever. My life is a bunch of never ending projects, it seems.

Not a drop of rain or "winter mix" although it was in the 20s this morning - "warmed" up to the 40s by afternoon. I love this time of year in Georgia - kinda makes up for the extreme heat/humidity of the summer. Anyway, I woudn't want to live anywhere that measures snow in feet!

This is my woodworking blog: http://modernwoodworking.blogspot.com

-- John

tom4bren
01/28/2008, 08:02 AM
"My life is a bunch of never ending projects"

Are we twins???:)

nfpgasmask
01/28/2008, 08:36 AM
spring is just around the corner & Moab is on the horizon.:cool:

Life is good.

Indeed Dr.Dub, and the wife just said yesterday, "Well, I suppose we can go to Moab if nothing else is going on". :bwgy:

We are still getting hammered here in Reno. I plowed through another fresh 8" of powder on my driveway this morning.

Bart

nfpgasmask
01/28/2008, 08:38 AM
...in shorts and a singlet!

Billy, wtf is a singlet? :p

Bart

Triathlete
01/28/2008, 11:18 AM

Bart

A thin, breathable shirt worn by runners usually made of some sort of tech material.:thumbup:
Definately not something you would want to wear if the temp was much below the 60's except mybe as a base layer.

tom4bren
01/28/2008, 11:53 AM
Definately not something you would want to wear ... on a date.

Chopper
01/28/2008, 03:22 PM
That thing they made you wear in high school wrestling was called a Singlet also, sort of a onesie:p

Ldub
01/29/2008, 06:57 AM

Bart

Bart...Ooooo, yeah, scissor me, scissor me....if you're not all that familiar with South Park, I'll send you a link to that episode.:smilewink

At first I thought Y'all were talking about sniglets...don't ask.:rolleyesg

nfpgasmask
01/29/2008, 08:18 AM
Bart...Ooooo, yeah, scissor me, scissor me....if you're not all that familiar with South Park, I'll send you a link to that episode.:smilewink

LOL, I think you are the first one to "get" my new avatar. Come on, Dub, you I know I love South Park. I actually want to get a T-shirt made that says:

Parker
-----------Stone
--------------------'08

The options are looking downright horrible for both sides this election.

Bart

Ldub
01/29/2008, 02:55 PM
LOL, I think you are the first one to "get" my new avatar. Come on, Dub, you I know I love South Park. I actually want to get a T-shirt made that says:

Parker
-----------Stone
--------------------'08

The options are looking downright horrible for both sides this election.

Bart

Yeah, as always, it comes down to choosing between a giant douche & a turd sandwich...& so it goes.:sighwgray

nfpgasmask
01/29/2008, 03:25 PM
Yeah, as always, it comes down to choosing between a giant douche & a turd sandwich...& so it goes.:sighwgray

Yeah, but at least we have a few seasons of South Park in the works to keep us sane in an insane world.

:) Bart

PS - Looks like I will see you in May!! Since I missed last years "Dub in the Tub" incident, you will have to do that again this year for me. :) :) :)

Ldub
01/29/2008, 03:44 PM
Yeah, but at least we have a few seasons of South Park in the works to keep us sane in an insane world.

:) Bart

PS - Looks like I will see you in May!! Since I missed last years "Dub in the Tub" incident, you will have to do that again this year for me. :) :) :)

Mmmmmmm...PASS !!!:razzgray:

But glad to hear You & Linda will be in Moab.:thumbup: :dance:

Ldub
01/30/2008, 05:35 AM
And speaking of mid winter blues...it's a brisk 24 degrees BELOW ZERO out there this morning...I've had about enough!!!
I don't care if it DOES keep out the riff-raff & the home burglary rate drops off to nothing...:upsetgray

Can we PLEASE have spring now ?

OK, I'm all better now, thanks for listening, move along, nothing to see here, rant off.:rolleyesg

Ldub
01/30/2008, 06:59 AM
Oh excuse me for the mis-information...it wasn't done being cold yet...it's now down to -25...sweet!:rolleyesg

Suzy turned over MIGHTY slow this morning, but fired up like I knew she would.
Poor thing sits outside without a block heater or anything...I ought to get her a treat.

don moore
01/30/2008, 11:51 AM
GRRRRR. It been snowing here ...
I went out and played with the kids outside ..they are building a snow fort in my front yard......I go get my VX this week end..and I bet all this snow will be melted and gone when i bet back with it ...GRRRRR.
I guess Ill have to drive up to the hills to play it in the snow with her;)...

Chopper
01/30/2008, 03:09 PM
I don't think the meat freezer in the garage even goes to -25! I wouldn't turn over either. The only snow I wanna see, is on my TV. I did think of you this AM Dub...I was watching the 5 o'clock weather and saw those crazy numbers up your way. We have two spare bedrooms and a guest bath....the pool is a chilly 73 degrees...but it'd be a sauna to you:p

Ldub
01/30/2008, 03:30 PM
I don't think the meat freezer in the garage even goes to -25! I wouldn't turn over either. The only snow I wanna see, is on my TV. I did think of you this AM Dub...I was watching the 5 o'clock weather and saw those crazy numbers up your way. We have two spare bedrooms and a guest bath....the pool is a chilly 73 degrees...but it'd be a sauna to you:p

I'll bring my wetsuit...:rolleyesg

You just made me smile real big & laugh out loud Chopper.
Just knowing someone was wonderin' if I turned into a Dub-sicle, makes it seem a little warmer...oh wait, I guess it is up to a balmy -13 as of now.
I might just surprise you some day & take you up on that offer, but only if I can work at the shop to earn my keep (& also learn about the body & fender biz).:smilewink

The only thing that makes it a bit more bearable is knowing that Kenny probably has it worse...:rotate: