PDA

View Full Version : HD DVD format dead?

UtahVXer
02/13/2008, 10:02 AM
Now that Warner Bros. has gone exclusively Blu ray and Netflix and Best Buy now plan to go BR (like Blockbuster already did last year), what shall I do with my Toshiba HD A35 HD DVD player? I guess I could always use it as a door stop, unless anyone here wants a good deal on one?

nfpgasmask
02/13/2008, 10:19 AM
Yeah, I am kinda pissed about this issue as well. My wife bought me the HD version of the Blade Runner box set for Xmas and I was planning to get an HD player next month but now that seems kind of pointless. I only have 2 HD DVDs, one being the box set, so I guess I should just bite the bullet and buy the Blu-ray version now and try my luck selling the HD version on eBay.

Its just so stupid.

Bart

Now that Warner Bros. has gone exclusively Blu ray and Netflix and Best Buy now plan to go BR (like Blockbuster already did last year), what shall I do with my Toshiba HD A35 HD DVD player? I guess I could always use it as a door stop, unless anyone here wants a good deal on one?

Scott Harness
02/13/2008, 10:41 AM
I'm sick of how they dribble-out technology,so you have to buy the new stuff every year. I've basically decided not to buy much else.I'm spending my money on experiences(Moab trips) ect. One more big ticket item,when the VX dies. Rubicon

nfpgasmask
02/13/2008, 11:07 AM
I'm sick of how they dribble-out technology,so you have to buy the new stuff every year. I've basically decided not to buy much else.I'm spending my money on experiences(Moab trips) ect. One more big ticket item,when the VX dies. Rubicon

Scott, I am wholeheartedly with you. There is no replacement for memories. Problem is, I'm a movie junkie. I could care less about TV, but I love my movies. I have been low-tech with my TV and audio system for YEARS, and now its time to upgrade. But I do agree, it is BS how they just keep changing stuff, so we have to buy new, and the landfills just get bigger and bigger. I read somewhere once that like a huge percentage of landfills are computers and other outdated technological hardware...

Bart

Chopper
02/13/2008, 12:54 PM
I am unabashedly slow-tech for just this sorta reason....plus, by the time I get to it....it's a lot cheaper. Cutting edge is pricey

JAFO
02/13/2008, 01:09 PM
I could care less about TV, but I love my movies.

Me too. I don't subscribe to cable TV just cable Internet ($60/month). Instead of spending $720 to $1,200 per year on TV, I buy movies and TV on DVD. I like it because at lease I have something tangable for my money.

I have not gone HD yet. Still getting enjoyment out of DVD and the old VHS that all of the stores unloading as fast as they can. I have purchased a lot any where from a dollar to a quarter. To me they are still good.

nfpgasmask
02/13/2008, 02:23 PM
Me too. I don't subscribe to cable TV just cable Internet ($60/month). Instead of spending $720 to $1,200 per year on TV, I buy movies and TV on DVD.

Yup, cable TV is a complete sham. I know people that pay like $130+/month for all this TV and Tevo and DVR and all that. And you know, its the same programming, over and over and over. Unless you are a sports junkie, I see no reason to pay for cable TV. Netflix is the greatest thing to happen to a movie lover ever. And as for TV, I can pretty much rent whatever I want. In fact, I just finished season one of Dexter and season one of Deadwood. Its much nicer to watch the DVDs also. I don't have to watch at a certain time, or schedule my day around a TV show. And I can watch them all back to back if I want....

But anyway, back to the Blu-ray HD thing. I don't really understand how Blu-ray won out. To me, HD seemed a little more universal. And with Blu-ray being proprietary, I figured HD would certainly win out...

Also, if you have a HD camcorder, and you want to put your home movies on DVD, how does one do that? Do you have to have some sort of Blu-ray editing software with a Blu-ray burner and Blu-ray media? I wonder how all that works???

Bart

navistar
02/13/2008, 02:44 PM
I guess someday I'll have to replace my 8-Track audio system and Betamax video system. Oh well...progress!

psychos2
02/13/2008, 02:44 PM
Blu-ray is the better format if you compare the two. For that reason I bought a Blu-ray player at xmas time when they were $299. It goes good with the 42" 1080i tv. And the programs that I watch are so much better in with the hi def cable box. shawn

snowtrooper1966
02/13/2008, 07:01 PM
Greetings!
I too am sad to see that Blu has apparently won the format war. Just another example that the general public dosen't want what's best, just what they are told is the best;)
In my experience, having first owned a high end HD DVD player (Toshiba XA2), that format seemed more stable. I kept hearing how Blu was supposed to be the superior format, but was hearing of many Blu owners complaing about latest releases not playing on the player they owned.
I recently purchased a Samsung hybrid dual format (HD DVD & BluRay) player. I was getting tired of all the infighting and claims from both sides about who would win.
I intially went HD DVD, as there were more movies available from the onset that I was interested in (Sky Captain, Last Samurai, King Kong, Coprse Bride & Forbidden Planet) to name a few. The original player I had also had the bonus of an upconverting chip called the Renon, which by all reports was one of the best available.
On my professionally calibrated 61 inch 1080p TV, I really did see a huge difference in picture quality since the HD media (HD DVD & BluRay) both have about 3 times the information and resolution that we are used to seeing with standard DVD's.
The picture quality also blows away HD cable or satalite def signals, since those are compressed up the wazoo for broadcast.
The final benefit was, as I mentioned,the superb upconversion of my standard def DVD collection to near HD picture quality.
After a year or so, I heard a rumor of a hybrid player coming to the market that would play both HD formats, and have the same Renon upconverting chip from my previous HD DVD only player. I was sold. There were Blu films that I was missing, even though it was possible to purchase imported HD DVD versions of domestic Blu movies, but not all of them, Disney being a prime example.
One final added benefit of HD media is that they offer lossless (uncompressed) audio formats as well, so if you have a nice surround system to go with your HDTV, you can experience the best possible picture AND sound. I really did not realize untill I had a great system how important the sound was to a great home theater experience.
To this point, there has not been a HD media player available that did not have some limitations, or that did not need firmware to upgrade features. That being said, the Samsung hybrid player I now have is not perfect, but does have the potential to be the best player on the market. I don't have to worry about which format wins, and can enjoy all that HD DVD and BluRay has to offer.
Best,
James
snowtrooper1966

mdwyer
02/13/2008, 07:29 PM
Blu-ray is the better format if you compare the two. For that reason I bought a Blu-ray player at xmas time when they were $299. It goes good with the 42" 1080i tv. And the programs that I watch are so much better in with the hi def cable box. shawn

Frankly, I don't care. I've bought into neither of them. Regular DVDs look good enough to me on a 42" 1080i TV. They'd look even better if I had an up-converting DVD player, and I still wouldn't be out upgrading my library AGAIN.

But the best part is that I haven't sold my soul to Hollywood any more than I already have. Really, the only player I'm looking for right now is one that ignores the "Prevented User Operations" codes.

I get livid every time a disc won't let me skip the endless FBI warnings and disclaimers and commercials... :mad:

nfpgasmask
02/13/2008, 09:04 PM
James, what Samsung player do you have? I think this will be a good option for me.

Thanks- Bart

snowtrooper1966
02/13/2008, 10:00 PM
Hey, Bart!
I have the Samsung BD-UP5000.
This player is not cheep 600 to 800, and as I said, does have some isuues. The biggest has to do with it not playing the advanced lossless audio I mentioned in my post. Samsung has promised a firmware upgrade (via internet), but this may be a few months off.
Thay being said, the unit is almost worth the price alone if you have alot of standard DVD's for it's upscaling capabilites alone. Oh yea, it also plays BluRays AND HD DVD's;)
Do you have or are you considering buying a big HDTV that would benefit from the outstanding picture this player puts out?
Best,
James
snowtrooper1966

nfpgasmask
02/14/2008, 08:51 AM
Hey James,

Yes. I am buying the newest Sony Bravia 52" 1080p LCD when I move. Attached to it I would like a top of the line HD/Blu-Ray player, a PS3, and a cheap-o all region DVD player (so I can play DVDs and VCDs from other countries, etc) and a good 5.1 surround sound system.

So yeah, if I can get a good DVD player that does both HD and Blu-ray, I am sold. Does the Samsung you have output at 1080i or 1080p?

Bart

snowtrooper1966
02/14/2008, 10:38 AM
Bart,
The Samsung BD-UP5000 will output at all the resolutions. It's 1080p native, but user can select, depending on how the 5K is attached to other hardware (receiver/TV). I would recommend a HDMI 1.3 compliant TV and surround receiver to get the most out of the three formats: HD DVD, BluRay and existing standard definition DVD's.
James

don moore
02/14/2008, 10:51 AM
off subject,,,trooper check this out
http://www.zercustoms.com/photos/Dodge-Avenger-Stormtrooper.html;)

snowtrooper1966
02/14/2008, 01:23 PM
Hey, Don, that link did not work for me. PM me if you feel this is off topic?
James

JAFO
02/14/2008, 04:52 PM
Warner Backs Blu-ray, Tilting DVD Battle
Published: January 5, 2008

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/05/technology/05disc.html?em&ex=

A friend of mine says Sony owns Time-Warner and is protecting their investment. I'm not sure that's 100% correct but Sony may have a stake in T.W.

HOT_WASABI_JUNKIE
02/14/2008, 07:17 PM
I hate to say it, but I knew that hd-dvd was gonna lose the war. How did I know? One, Microsoft backed hd-dvd and Apple backed Blu-Ray. Any technology Microsoft backs is usually a dog, unless they steal it from Apple.
Two,Blu-ray has more capacity,so why adopt a disc player with a small capacity disc when you can adopt a player with a larger capacity disc. Size matters!

nfpgasmask
02/14/2008, 07:43 PM
I hate to say it, but I knew that hd-dvd was gonna lose the war. How did I know? One, Microsoft backed hd-dvd and Apple backed Blu-Ray. Any technology Microsoft backs is usually a dog, unless they steal it from Apple.
Two,Blu-ray has more capacity,so why adopt a disc player with a small capacity disc when you can adopt a player with a larger capacity disc. Size matters!

I'd agree on the size thing, but completely disagree on the MS thing. Apple is just as proprietary as Blu-ray, and should not have won out. MS is more compatible and customizable.

Sorry, but I think Apple is Crapple. MS might be a monopolizing, money grubbing, take over everything company, but their products are universal and vastly superior. Apple is the dumbed-down version of technology with a cherry coating to appeal to the masses. If it wasn't for the I-pod and a few snobbish graphic designers, Apple would be dead.

Bart

snowtrooper1966
02/14/2008, 09:35 PM
As far as disk capacity goes, niether format has come close to filling up a disk....
With so much capacity available on Blu, that may be part of the formats downside. The disks are bieng filled up with so much unneeded crap, that you need a firmware upgard just to play this weeks newest release.
Would you rather have a VX that had a V12? It would be unique, but a bit of overkill and unneccasary, IMHO.
Best,
James
snowtrooper1966

JAFO
02/14/2008, 10:53 PM
Sorry, but I think Apple is Crapple. MS might be a monopolizing, money grubbing, take over everything company, but their products are universal and vastly superior. Apple is the dumbed-down version of technology with a cherry coating to appeal to the masses. If it wasn't for the I-pod and a few snobbish graphic designers, Apple would be dead.

Bart

I used not like Apple because of the universal draw back. But now that they have gone Linux and Intel; I'm concidering buying my first Apple. I spent $350 on Windows XP Pro. It is an unstable DOS. I bought it because I had ME before, which was an unstable DOS. Now they want $400 for Visto Pro and it too is an unstable DOS? No way! Our IT guys at work do not recommend it to anyone.

Microsoft has every buddy brain washed into thinking this is just the way computers are. They must be rebooted multiple times a day they crash without warning... Not so, this is how Microsoft is, not everyone. Our servers at work have automated tasks to reboot them nightly. Our mainframe has never been rebooted. In the seven years that I have been at this company, never has it been rebooted or turned off.

Yes, I am going to go Apple. Though my favorite PC based OS... IBM's OS/2... Rock Solid!!!

JHarris1385
02/15/2008, 05:13 AM
I back Blu Ray due to the PS3 and thats all.
I too am considering purchasing my first Apple. Tired of MS and my best friends swears by apple.

HOT_WASABI_JUNKIE
02/15/2008, 07:18 AM
I'd agree on the size thing, but completely disagree on the MS thing. Apple is just as proprietary as Blu-ray, and should not have won out. MS is more compatible and customizable.

Bart

Interesting opinion, but based in what, you have a crappy wintel box? Microsoft is the McDonald's of computing platforms. It may be big, but it puts out flavorless fat and people gobble it up. MS products, both software and hardware are sh_t. Apple invented the personal computer and every PC magazine rates its products and operating system vastly superior to Microsoft.I am typing this on my brand new apple laptop, I have yet to have an issue with it and I have had it a few months.I read vehicross.info on my iphone at the beach. I can run windows on my laptop ( why would I want to?) You can't run apple on a dell or sony or any other microsoft crap.Microsoft is popular because it is cheap, Just like the hd-dvd format was cheap, and look where that format is headed,in the sh_t can.I have a xbox, one that works, but I hear they have like a 80 percent failure rate...I wish apple would start making video game consoles and car stereos.

nfpgasmask
02/15/2008, 09:34 AM
I used not like Apple because of the universal draw back. But now that they have gone Linux and Intel; I'm concidering buying my first Apple. I spent $350 on Windows XP Pro. It is an unstable DOS. I bought it because I had ME before, which was an unstable DOS. Now they want $400 for Visto Pro and it too is an unstable DOS? No way! Our IT guys at work do not recommend it to anyone.

Microsoft has every buddy brain washed into thinking this is just the way computers are. They must be rebooted multiple times a day they crash without warning... Not so, this is how Microsoft is, not everyone. Our servers at work have automated tasks to reboot them nightly. Our mainframe has never been rebooted. In the seven years that I have been at this company, never has it been rebooted or turned off.

Yes, I am going to go Apple. Though my favorite PC based OS... IBM's OS/2... Rock Solid!!!

Well, there are people who simply hate MS, and I can understand that. They have put out some very crappy operating systems. I think ME was their lowest point. And I loathe NT4. But I have to say, XPSP2 runs great. I don't understand how you consider it unstable. I use multiple PCs with XPSP2 and have absolutely no issues. I think what a lot of people fail to realize, is that Windows is the most widely used OS, and there are literally millions of applications written to run under Windows. With such a huge variety of software, its only a matter of time before .dlls start stepping on eachother's toes and cause things to get messed up. But it isn't Window's fault that there are so many poorly written applications. And then we have all the spyware and viruses written to attack Windows and Windows based applications. If you take a decent PC, load XPSP2 on it, it will run, and run solid. But as you load it up with 3rd party software and all sorts of other junk, you WILL have problems. That is a given.

You must also take into consideration that a MAC is a MAC. But a PC could be a Dell, a Compaq/HP, an IBM, an AlienWare, a pieced together box from various sources, etc. So right there, you are setting yourself up for compatibility issues. But again, if you know what you are doing, all this can be avoided. I know there have been MAC clones in the past, but I am not aware of any currently.

Apple being much smaller has a lot more control over this type of stuff. I am not brainwashed at all. I have used and supported both Mac and PC professionally. I prefer PC. If you trully know what you are doing, you can have a very powerful PC that DOES NOT CRASH like every Apple Nazi thinks. And I don't care what you say, there is NOTHING an Apple can do that a PC cannot do, except maybe come in a regular variety of fruity colors.

And all that said, if you are really a badass with computers, you stick with Unix/Linux. If I was buying a computer for my grandma, I would get her a Mac. But for myself, a PC is the only way to go. I am trying to learn the Unix stuff, but it is very advanced and a lot different than what I am used to, but nonetheless badass.

Also, comparing current Windows operating systems to OS/2 and Mainframe does not make sense. Can you play HL2 on a Mainframe? And yes, I used to work on and support OS/2, and for its time it was solid, but again, you are comparing an OS that was vastly more simplistic compared to today's OSes.

I guess Apple has its place as the underdog, but when I want to build my own computer exactly to my personal specs, PC is the only option.

Damn, I really am a nerd. :o

Bart

tom4bren
02/15/2008, 09:54 AM
"Damn, I really am a nerd"

Hey, I've still got a set of punch cards in my desk.

I just hang on to them so that when I get really pissed off at MS, I can fondly remember how bad it used to be.

nfpgasmask
02/15/2008, 09:56 AM
Interesting opinion, but based in what, you have a crappy wintel box? Microsoft is the McDonald's of computing platforms. It may be big, but it puts out flavorless fat and people gobble it up. MS products, both software and hardware are sh_t. Apple invented the personal computer and every PC magazine rates its products and operating system vastly superior to Microsoft.I am typing this on my brand new apple laptop, I have yet to have an issue with it and I have had it a few months.I read vehicross.info on my iphone at the beach. I can run windows on my laptop ( why would I want to?) You can't run apple on a dell or sony or any other microsoft crap.Microsoft is popular because it is cheap, Just like the hd-dvd format was cheap, and look where that format is headed,in the sh_t can.I have a xbox, one that works, but I hear they have like a 80 percent failure rate...I wish apple would start making video game consoles and car stereos.

At work I use a Lenovo T60 running XPSP2. I have no issues. It doesn't lock up or crash or whatever you probably think. IBM/Lenovo makes a solid PC. At home, I have a personally built PC with pieces I put together here and there from Newegg.com. It also runs fast and very solid. I edit video on it, build websites, play and edit music and sound f/x, play a variety of games, watch movies, edit photos, etc, etc. No crashing. No slowness. No issues.

Funny how you say flavorless fat. Are you projecting? :) Flavorless fat is making a computer that comes in a bunch of gimicky colors so people gobble it up. Not to mention their huge ad campaign for I-Pod. If Windows is the McDonalds of operating systems, then I-PODs are the BigMacs of the MP3 players. Talk about trying to appeal to the masses. And don't get me started on I-Tunes either.

And you're right, I cannot run MACOS on my PC, but like you said, why would I want to? If I did that, I wouldn't be able to run HALF the apps I run on my PC.

And yes, MS is cheap, but if it works just as good, why should I pay 2 or 3 times the price just so I can have a trendy purple computer? But then again, I must admit, I am biased here since I work in IT, and basically get everything for free.

There really is no arguing this point. Some people like MAC for whatever reason, and I choose PC because it does EVERYTHING I want it to, with NO LIMITS. To me, MAC is limited. It has its place, but it is limited. And I still think MAC would be nothing without their precious little I-Pod. :bwgy:

Bart

snowtrooper1966
02/15/2008, 10:56 AM
Thread hijack alert!;)

nfpgasmask
02/15/2008, 12:32 PM
Yeah, sorry Utah, I got carried away.

:) Bart

snowtrooper1966
02/15/2008, 01:26 PM
No offense, Bart!
I was just hoping some wanted to continue the discussion....
Best,
James
snowtrooper1966

nfpgasmask
02/15/2008, 01:28 PM
No offense, Bart!
I was just hoping some wanted to continue the discussion....
Best,
James
snowtrooper1966

Oh none taken!! ;)

And actually, to get things back on topic, I was thinking of just getting a nice HD DVD player that can upscale all my old DVDs, and then just get a PS3 to playback Blu-Ray. That said, I have heard some mention that the PS3 does not really play back Blu-ray movies as well as an actual Blu-Ray DVD player. Does anyone have any info on this?

Bart

snowtrooper1966
02/15/2008, 01:44 PM
Hey,
If you are looking for a stand alone HD DVD player, I would suggest a Toshiba XA2. That is the model I used to own, and has the same upconverting software as the unit I now own. The Renon is widely regarded as the best upconverter @ it's price point.
As far as the PS3, I actually have heard that that seems to be one of the best Blu players out there.
I personally would not get one for that.
Reasons being:
It is a game console that happens to play Blu.

It tends to run very hot (shortens life expectency).

The internal cooling fan is very loud.

No remote to access disk playback options, you have to use the PS3's controller!

There is a remote available, but reports do not favor it's usefulness.

And last, if one's intent is to use this as a gaming console, I hear there are not too many good games out yet...

You can buy two seperate standalone units (HD DV & BluRay) for close to the same price as the Samsung 5K hybrid player, but most folks have limited space considerations, as well as HDMI inputs. The other bonus for the hybrid player is that you do not have to explain to the wife or kids which movie goes into which player...

Food for thought

Best,
James
snowtrooper1966

JHarris1385
02/15/2008, 01:49 PM
Second the fact that the PS3's Blu-Ray is top notch. I have never heard complaints of the remote nor the fan noise either.

nfpgasmask
02/15/2008, 01:51 PM
Well, all I am saying, is that I am getting a PS3 for games, so I should (could) just use that for Blu-ray and get a nice HD player for HD and regular DVDs.

That would eat up 2 HDMI ports only.

Bart

snowtrooper1966
02/15/2008, 01:57 PM
10-4, sounds like a plan!
Just remember that not all HD DV players will upconvert, and none do as well as the Tosh XA2...
James
snowtrooper1966

nfpgasmask
02/15/2008, 02:04 PM
10-4, sounds like a plan!
Just remember that not all HD DV players will upconvert, and none do as well as the Tosh XA2...
James
snowtrooper1966

Cool, I will look into that player...

Thanks - Bart

psychos2
02/15/2008, 03:16 PM
HD players are not the only ones that upconvert regular dvds. My sony Blu-ray player does also.

DVD Upscaling to 1080p2 via HDMI™

Get the most out of your existing DVD collection by having them upscaled to 1080p quality. Your DVD's will look and sound better than ever when you play them back on your new Sony Blu-ray Disc Player.

shawn

UtahVXer
02/15/2008, 04:29 PM
Hey,
If you are looking for a stand alone HD DVD player, I would suggest a Toshiba XA2.

I believe the A35 is superior to the A2. It has a more powerful microprocessor. Movies load faster and play better. It upconverts to 1080p and is HDMI 1.3 compliant. If you buy mine, you'll have a great upconverter, plus you will soon be able to buy HD DVD's at liquidation prices!

psychos2
02/15/2008, 04:56 PM
Looks like the final blow for HD format. shawn

http://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6532933.html?nid=2705

snowtrooper1966
02/15/2008, 08:53 PM
HD players are not the only ones that upconvert regular dvds. My sony Blu-ray player does also.

DVD Upscaling to 1080p2 via HDMI™

Get the most out of your existing DVD collection by having them upscaled to 1080p quality. Your DVD's will look and sound better than ever when you play them back on your new Sony Blu-ray Disc Player.

shawn

...or a HD DVD player with a quality upconverter....;)

snowtrooper1966
02/15/2008, 09:00 PM
I believe the A35 is superior to the A2. It has a more powerful microprocessor. Movies load faster and play better. It upconverts to 1080p and is HDMI 1.3 compliant. If you buy mine, you'll have a great upconverter, plus you will soon be able to buy HD DVD's at liquidation prices!

My post made reference to the Toshiba XA2. That is the big brother of the A2 (and A35).
Of the three, ONLY the XA2 has the RENON upconverting chip, widely regarded as the best upconverter cureently available on any Blu or HD DVD player.
As a bonus, the XA2 also sports 5.1 analog outs, to process advanced audio, as well as "legacy"(Dolby & DTS), in case your AVR (audio/video receiver) does not support HDMI.
Best,
James
snowtrooper1966

Ldub
02/15/2008, 09:15 PM
From Shawns link...“With the customers best interest in all we do, we wanted to share our decision and timeline with them as soon as possible, knowing it will help simplify their purchase decision, increase selection and increase adoption long term.”(Wal-Mart)

Isn't that the same thing the porn industry said when it killed Beta ?:naughty:

Bulldoggie
02/15/2008, 09:18 PM
As far as disk capacity goes, niether format has come close to filling up a disk....
With so much capacity available on Blu, that may be part of the formats downside. The disks are bieng filled up with so much unneeded crap, that you need a firmware upgard just to play this weeks newest release.
Would you rather have a VX that had a V12? It would be unique, but a bit of overkill and unneccasary, IMHO.
Best,
James
snowtrooper1966

I understand that they still sell "Box Sets" for more $$$, even though they should be able to fit on one disc????? WTF?????
I want mine on one disc please.
I already have a drawer full of "Extra Features" discs, that go in, but not out.

snowtrooper1966
02/15/2008, 09:40 PM
Most of the "box sets" are TV series seasons collected into one set (Star Trek: Original Series, Heroes, Samllville, Sopranos, etc.) or film runs (Matrix collection, Die Hard(s), Mission Impossible(s) & collected Harry Potters). They tend to include extra bonus feature disks, but from my experience, are a good buy.
I agrre that all I really want is the best version of the film, without all the extra crap. That is why I have such a problem with Blu. They, more than the HD DVD's, seem to want to put all these "gee wiz" features that only serve to make the newest releases impossible to play without a new firmware upgrade.....
Best,
James
snowtrooper1966

Bulldoggie
02/15/2008, 10:11 PM
Most of the "box sets" are TV series seasons collected into one set (Star Trek: Original Series, Heroes, Samllville, Sopranos, etc.) or film runs (Matrix collection, Die Hard(s), Mission Impossible(s) & collected Harry Potters. They tend to include extra bonus feature disks, but from my experience, are a good buy.
I agrre that all I really want is the best version of the film, without all the extra crap. That is why I have such a problem with Blu. They, more than the HD DVD's, seem to want to put all these "gee wiz" features that only serve to make the newest releases impossible to play without a new firmware upgrade.....
Best,
James
snowtrooper1966

That's my point. Why not have all the Die Hard or Matrix, on one disc.:mad:
Why pay for 3-4 discs:mad::mad::mad: :mad: that could fit on one:rolleyes:
Other than they can't find suckers to pay more than $25. for a single disc, so they "package" a bigger "Box" for a bigger price.
What does it matter, what the capacity is, if they only put one feature on a disc.
I love watching my progressive scanned DVD's / HDMI / LCD TV.
They look awesome! And I can rip all the movies I want to my external HD and have a movie fest without having to change a single disc

snowtrooper1966
02/16/2008, 07:51 AM
I believe they could fit three standard def films on one HD disk, but it would kind of defeat the pourpose.
While the disk capacity of HD media is higher, I do not think it would allow more than two films on a disk.
I get impatient enough just forwarding through a few trailers, if I had to load a disk and look for episode 150 of 300 on a single disk, I may never watch it;)

If you love watching progressively scanned films, your jaw would likely drop when you witnessed on of your favorite DVD's played through my system and upconverted with the Renon processor on the 5K. Then there is the next level up of a true HD media disk!
Consider yourself officially invited for a viewing anytime you are in Mammoth...

Best,
James
snowtrooper1966

Bulldoggie
02/16/2008, 10:37 AM
Thanks for the invite.
I mapped your local. Looks like you are closer to a Military survival course, or a gun and bomb practice than a major town:grino:
Maybe someday, I do have a brother in Sacramento:)

snowtrooper1966
02/16/2008, 11:48 AM
Try this...

www.mammothmountain.com

Bulldoggie
02/16/2008, 11:58 AM
Try this...

www.mammothmountain.com

More like Heavenly! cool.

psychos2
02/16/2008, 12:30 PM
The reason there is more stuff on a Bluray disc is capacity. A regular dvd has 4.7GB (single layer)8.5GB (dual layer).Approximately 3 hours of record time on a dual layer disc. An HD disc has 15GB (single layer)30GB (dual layer)51GB
(prototype triple layer).approximately 13 hours dvd quality or HD quality 5.1 or 3.3 hours depending on encoding method. Bluray has 25GB (single layer)50GB (dual layer)100GB (prototype quad layer),approximately 23 hours dvd quality or 8.5 or 5.6 hours, depending on encoding method. So the reason Bluray has more stuff on it is because they can. If the HD format had more space they would put more stuff on it. Both HD and Bluray have the same audio specs and the same resolution so there is no difference there. So it really has to do with the capacity, bigger is better. And also on Bluray the extras are in the same format as the movie ,not in lower dvd quality like on the HD dvd, due to lack of space. shawn

Bulldoggie
02/16/2008, 12:41 PM
I can't wait for these to come down in price.

http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?pid=10867

I have the matching DL DVD.
The best "superdrive" I've used.

snowtrooper1966
02/16/2008, 03:34 PM
Greetings, psychos2!
I do not subscribe to that "bigger is better" theory.
I just want a quality master recording with perhaps some commentary, maybe a few "making of" featurettes.
I definately do not want my player to be surfing the web looking for links of the film I am watching, and letting me know while I am veiwing said film.
As far as I know, neither format has come close to filling up a disk yet. The greater Blu capacity is more of a needless gimmick, at this point, IMHO.
It seems like Blu is adding "pow, wiz, bang" features because they are trying to justify something. In fact, as I stated earlier, most of these little used featuers seem to only make the disks harder for players to handle, and ruining the simple enjoyment of (gasp) enjoying a film!
Best,
James
snowtrooper1966

snowtrooper1966
02/16/2008, 03:55 PM
Bulldoggie,
If you had that LaCie, where would you be burning stuff from? Archived material from satalite HD feed? That stuff is full of compression atrifacts.
It seems that the only quality signal you could record would be a local HD broadcast captured from an HD antennae. Unless you would have it hooked up to a HTPC......
I do have a home A/V component DVD burner. I remember looking at those when they first came out, close to 10k, if memory serves....
I bought it to burn series episodes I have captured, but as I mentioned, the quality of the sat feed is pretty badly compressed. Coupled with the fact that most of the stuff winds up for sale, I find myself recording less and less. The majority of my digital recording is on my Dishnetwork HD DVR. I like to record "chunks" of series, and watch a few episodes in a sitting.
For me, there is pride of ownership in professionally mastered and packaged DVD and HD media material.
Best,
James
snowtrooper1966

Bulldoggie
02/16/2008, 05:20 PM
HD home movies.
DVD box sets.
Soon to be common HD Ripping software?
iTunes back-up to one disc.

I'll wait till blank media is <$5.
By then the burner will be <$300.

Some features are worth the premium price.
But if the source is lower quality, DVD is plenty good.
A lot of my favorite movies are pre-digital.
Twilight Zone would not look better in Blu

snowtrooper1966
02/16/2008, 10:15 PM
Yea, I don't think HD ripping is too far off. I have seen video of someone cracking the "unbreakable" hd media.....
I feel if the mastering is done right, the final HD media can look better than what we have had available on DVD.
I have a few older films on HDDVD that were obviously done with great care, expertise and reverence.
Two John Wayne films, The Coyboys and The Searchers come to mind, as does 2001: A Space Odessey.
While watching The Cowboys, it is hard for me to believe that film is 30+ years old....It is obvious that whomever did that trasnfer was a master.
Best,
James

spaceCADETzoom
02/16/2008, 11:48 PM
I'm a user of both formats. I like them both. Have a PS3 and a HD drive for the xbox. I think everyone should have that combo... invest in a PS3. (the HD drive is only 120 bucks or so for the 360--and chances are you already have a 360, right?)

Honesty, I watch more movies on the PS3 than play games on it. In fact, I really DON't play games on it--it upscales norm DVD;s great and BLU looks amazing.

Formats are honestly the same. Deciding factor is library. HD is capable of better menu interactivity and potentially better extras (sounds silly---but check out the screen-in-screen extras on the movie 300, bluray vs hddvd side by side...if you have both players and bought the BR version you will feel gipped). BR has the capacity, but thats a moot point as well. (blade runner comes in the same amount of discs either way, for example). NOthing has really come to capacity on either format. This leaves library...I'd have a problem if I had to throw out either my HDDVD player or PS3. Take out the only snag in the equation.. get both :)

Truthfully, reg DVD upscaled through a good player is just fine.

johnnyapollo
02/17/2008, 01:52 AM
Star Trek - The Original Series looks pretty good on my HD player - completely remasted from the original, cleaned up negatives in HD DVD with new sound and effects. I got my HD player for Christmas, along with 5 HD DVDs (free) and the ST set. I won't be buying any new, but for now I can at least watch what I have - the unit doesn't take up "too" much space.

-- John

snowtrooper1966
02/17/2008, 10:04 AM
Well said, spaceCADETzoom!

johnnyapallo,
with the recent HD DVD news, prices should be dropping fast. You will be able to get HD DVD's for about the same price as a standadrd def DVD....

Standard def DVD upscaled through a Renon processor in unbeleivable;)

Best,
James

psychos2
02/17/2008, 04:49 PM
Well said, spaceCADETzoom!

johnnyapallo,
with the recent HD DVD news, prices should be dropping fast. You will be able to get HD DVD's for about the same price as a standadrd def DVD....

Standard def DVD upscaled through a Renon processor in unbeleivable;)

Best,
James

The chip is a reon not renon. And there are some blu players that have the same chip. And you will not have to put it in the corner with the Beta player. I just cannot justify spending $700 or even $100 for something that I will not be able to use in the future. shawn

snowtrooper1966
02/17/2008, 07:04 PM
Shawn,
I stand corrected! The Reon-VX HQV® video processor is available in the high end Denon DVD-2500BTCI Blu transport, and the lower end model Samsung BD-P1200 Blu player.....
I think 700 is a small price to pay to make my standard def DVD's look better than ever. Oh yea, the 5K also plays Blu and HD DVD, so that will not be sitting in a corner;)
Even if I just had the Toshiba XA2 HD DVD player, I still think that would be a good investment, with it's top notch reon HQV processor your standard def DVD collection picture quality would be greatly enhanced, and the fact that you will recently be able to inexpensively build up a great HD DVD collection...
Best,
James

Bulldoggie
02/17/2008, 11:51 PM
http://www.ehomeupgrade.com/entry/4647/want_support_for

???? Blu Ray 2.0 ????? Most players not upgradeable????

Get your checkbooks ready :eek::eek:

LittleBeast
02/18/2008, 12:03 PM
Yupe that is why the PS3 is still the best "bang for your buck" piece of electronics out there right now.

johnnyapollo
02/19/2008, 06:01 AM
Toshiba quits:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23204819

-- John

WormGod
02/19/2008, 07:41 AM
Toshiba quits:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23204819

-- John

Its sad, but the future isnt about disks anyways. Never should have been. What we need is DVR meets downloadable/streaming data meets OnDemand. All that in one package and you have all you need. God knows, I am tired of staring at shelf upon shelf of friggin dvd disk boxes. Maybe Toshiba can find a niche for pushing tjis in their R&D now. ;)

JHarris1385
02/19/2008, 07:58 AM
Very true the future is not disks at all its flash storage or something similar. Think about renting movies and only having to bring home a small flash drive. Or better yet not ever leaving to rent just downloading to a dvr.

Jolly Roger VX'er
02/19/2008, 01:54 PM
Frankly, I don't care. I've bought into neither of them. Regular DVDs look good enough to me on a 42" 1080i TV. They'd look even better if I had an up-converting DVD player, and I still wouldn't be out upgrading my library AGAIN.

But the best part is that I haven't sold my soul to Hollywood any more than I already have. Really, the only player I'm looking for right now is one that ignores the "Prevented User Operations" codes.

I get livid every time a disc won't let me skip the endless FBI warnings and disclaimers and commercials... :mad:

I with you....plus..I thought it was ironic that I had to read the FBI warning about anti-piracy laws while trying to view "Pirates of the Caribbean 3"!

Bulldoggie
02/19/2008, 04:45 PM
Its sad, but the future isnt about disks anyways. Never should have been. What we need is DVR meets downloadable/streaming data meets OnDemand. All that in one package and you have all you need. God knows, I am tired of staring at shelf upon shelf of friggin dvd disk boxes. Maybe Toshiba can find a niche for pushing tjis in their R&D now. ;)

I'm ripping a lot of DVD's to a back-up Hard Drive.
No quality issues, same format.
Easy to manage, just like music and iTunes.
No buffering or streaming issues, same as having the disc in.
My kids keep scratching my favorites :mad: or misplacing them :mad: at least the sticky finger prints can be washed.
With firewire, you can daisy chain as many Hard Drives as you need

nfpgasmask
02/19/2008, 07:32 PM

Oh its coming. The problem with OnDemand streaming movies, is that a lot of bandwidth will be required and simply put, our current infrastructure will be vastly deficient for some time. But it is happening. We just bought a new house, in a brand new development here, and part of the house plan is a "structured wiring package" which was a feature, not an option. This includes a fiber line into our home in anticipation of heavy future bandwidth requirments. I can't wait for the day I can sit on my couch and scroll through the entire Netflix catalog and just click "play" on whatever movie I want. But, even that is a ways off. I have read that the movies that will be initially available OnDemand will likely only be blockbusters and mainstream hits. Basically, it will take some time for companies like Netflix to be equipped with the storage capacity necissary to house thousands and thousands of digital movies....especially in HD.

Bart