PDA

View Full Version : H E L P !!!

pdmarty
02/17/2008, 07:02 PM
I have always admired the vehicross and never could find anyone who could answer why isuzu quit producing such a cool vehicle. Although I am too old for such a hip piece of machinery, My son will be 15 next year and I found an original owner of a 2001 white Ironman vehicross. She bought it in California but now lives in Texas. From all indications, she has taken really good care of it. She recently told me that she is thinking about buying a new truck and I told her I would love the opportunity to purchase her vehicross for my son. Of course she said she would think about it and I informed her my son was still too young and therefore I was not in a hurry. This vx is in REALLY GREAT shape ! So, long story short, since I have only always admired the vx from afar, but have never owned one, would this be a good first vehicle for my son when he turns 15? What can I expect in the way of reliability and maintenance? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

etlsport
02/17/2008, 07:47 PM
i dont know about the vehicross as a first vehicle. I just taught my sister how to drive a couple years ago and would not let her anywhere near the vehicross, partly because of my mild love affair with the vehicross, but mostly because it has horrible rear visibility. i would recommend you drive it to see what you think about the limited rearward visibility affecting your sons learning to drive.

you can add an aftermarket rear view camera for about $100-150 that wouold help quite a bit

as far as maintenance, it depends on your thoughts about maintenance. you need to check the oil often because the aluminum block tends to burn oil which can lead to premature bearing/rod failure. many mechanics are intimidated by the vehicross because of its looks, but its got the same drivetrain as a trooper or an axiom and almost identical engine to rodeos and honda passports (same block, just 3.5L instead of 3.2L)

the vehicross is very easy to work on for the most part though, mine has been to the dealership on two occasions since i bought it, once for a transmission flush and once for a front bearing repack, both of which i could have done myself with more time. i have no other experience doing these things, the guys and girls here on this forum are just that good, they provide instructions, photos, tips etc to do anything to your vehicross. its a great vehicle to learn to work on in my opinion, maybe not so good to learn to drive on, or maybe a great vehicle to learn to drive on if you follow the thought that learning to drive a full size van will make you a great driver when you start driving a honda civic

tom4bren
02/18/2008, 06:35 AM
Amen to what Eric said 'cept he forgot to mention that the windows tend to bind but there are a lot of help threads here for that. The stock CD player should never be used or you may lose your CD's forever (not scratched - stuck in the player). Getting in & out of the back seat can be a real pain but Tone has some extenders to help with that.

"Although I am too old for such a hip piece of machinery"

I'm not sure what you mean by that. There are at least several members here who are 50+. I'm not - I'm only 48 but my son will be turning 15 this year too. He will not be driving the Proton. Not because he can't - well, he can't because I won't let him:)

Get yerself the VX & give him your old beater car you use for commuting. Even if your son gets to be a VERY good driver, everyone else at his school will 'feel' their way into a parking space & college is even worse.

WormGod
02/18/2008, 07:23 AM
VX as a first vehicle.... hmmm....

I honestly dont even remember what its like to drive one that is stock, so I am sure others could answer better than I. But, just know that with its bite sized wheel base, it can be a tricky vehicle to operate. I highly suggest a driver with some SUV experience AT LEAST.

SOme quotes from peopel who have driven my VX in the past:

Sister (on whether she can drop it off at a shop for me) "Uh uh, I hate your truck. It feels like its driving ME."

Mother (on visibilty) "Other than your windshield, I cant see a thing"

Ex g/f (driving it after only 2 mins) "Nope, I'm pulling over. You drive. I can't control this thing!"

Friend (was designated driver for a night on the town.... in MY vehicle) *driving slow and like an old lady with me and some toher friends laughing at him* "!@#$ you all man! This thing is too responsive!" (poor bastard.... of course, he drives a Geo Prizm)

So, you be the judge. You know your son better than we do. He may be great with it. *shrug*

Bulldoggie
02/18/2008, 07:52 AM
Poor rear visibility,
makes this a poor learners vehicle.
Back a foot, check three times, back another foot....ect...

Other than that, great handling (very stiff ride), good braking, great sounding stereo, awesome seats, good protection from minor dings.......
Blows the doors off my first, a '56 Chevy

Pepino
02/18/2008, 08:51 AM
i dont know but i have driven prowlers i have driven new mustangs i have driven porsches i have driven almost every car there is new and old and for me nothing handles better than my VX! i feel most comfortable driving in my VX
yes it has poor visibility but that can be fixed if you position your side mirrors the right way so i have never had a problem with that and then VX are really responsive as soon as you press the gas pedal the car moves, with the prowlers with the mustangs and Tribecas and all those cars it takes a second for the engine to react. the VX was my first choice i am only 19 and i think that its a great first car
well i also live in wisconsin and is great in snow everyone stares at me when im driving like if i was in a rally in the middle of the interstate lol i love it!
but i think that also the VX is too good for a 15 year old unless he acrually knows how to take care of cars and was raised like that
but who am i to tel you what to get your kid lol