PDA

View Full Version : Door Lock Rod Clip - help finding replacement

davidrepas
02/19/2008, 02:47 PM
Hello -

I'm unable to open my driver side door from the outside using the door handle. Basically, a small plastic part that connects the internal handle mechanism to a rod (which opens the door) has broken.

Here's a sketch of a similar part I found online (for Toyota/Lexus):

http://northlandfasteners.biz/Store/images/20469.jpg

Any ideas on where I can get this part? Isuzu dealership wasn't much help, saying the part was either part of the handle kit, or a more expensive kit that includes the rod along with a bunch of other things.

Thanks!

Y33TREKker
02/19/2008, 03:51 PM
St. Charles Isuzu
1-800-727-8066
Ask for Merlin

Isuzu part # for drivers door is 8-97037509
Isuzu part # for passenger door is 8-97037508

They don't cost alot, and from what I've seen it's a somewhat common occurence, so ordering a couple of each when getting a replacement might not be a bad idea...as long as you have somewhere in mind to keep them in the meantime that you'll be able to remember when it happens again. ;)

navistar
02/19/2008, 04:00 PM
For starters, go to:

http://www.myisuzuparts.com/thumbnail_view.php

Page through the illustrations on this site to find the part.

Then call Merlin in the parts department (talk just to him personally) at St. Charles Isuzu:

1-800-727-8066

Navi

Solitude
02/19/2008, 04:28 PM
I got a help pack from the local checker auto parts/kragen/shucks store.. and the black one worked so far.. 4.99

mdwyer
02/19/2008, 05:07 PM
Any ideas on where I can get this part? Isuzu dealership wasn't much help, saying the part was either part of the handle kit, or a more expensive kit that includes the rod along with a bunch of other things.

Find a new dealership. That's probably easier said than done, of course...

This part is a common weakness, and if the dealer had any clue what-so-ever, they would have known immediately what you wanted, and probably had a handful in stock. I've replaced mine once already, and I suspect there's a pretty large percentage of owners who have.

Use the info that Y33TREKker left you above, and call Merlin. Your dealer is useless. :(

rowhard
02/19/2008, 05:51 PM
Also, you might want to take a look at the how to article I wrote on the subject. Pretty simple process. You might want to go ahead as I suggested and order the other side, chance are it will fail pretty soon too.

http://vehicross.info/modules.php?name=Content&file=viewarticle&op=newarticle&id=22

davidrepas
02/20/2008, 08:59 AM
Wow! You guys are awesome - thanks for the info and advice.

Thanks,
David

eli2extremevx
05/27/2008, 07:08 AM
I had same problem, a zip tie can be worked into there to hold it in place until replacement part comes in.

mdwyer
05/27/2008, 05:32 PM
I had same problem, a zip tie can be worked into there to hold it in place until replacement part comes in.

...that's funny... when mine failed, I found a broken zip tie attached to it. Apparently, the previous owner thought the same. :)

Bulldoggie
07/18/2008, 04:47 PM
I just used a GM part 16627328 $0.63 ea.
Isuzu dealer is 85mi away.
Looked a little different, but works great.
looks like it will work on both sides

nfpgasmask
07/21/2008, 02:38 PM
Just saw this thread. I will try to get some from Merlin. I need one for the drivers side.

Right now I am still using the zip tie method. Seems to be holding up too!

Bart

Bulldoggie
07/21/2008, 07:22 PM
I just used a GM part 16627328 $0.63 ea.
Isuzu dealer is 85mi away.
Looked a little different, but works great.
looks like it will work on both sides

nevermind this part has fallen out, already :mad:

nfpgasmask
07/22/2008, 10:54 AM
So I am on with Phil about the clips. The part #s are actually:

Driver's Side: 897037509-0
Passenger's Side: 897037508-0

I guess they need that zero on the end. .88 cents each with our discount. I am ordering a couple spares.

All that said, I am still not 100% sure this is the right part, so I will report back when the parts arrive.

Bart

nfpgasmask
07/30/2008, 02:53 PM
Got the parts yesterday. The above part numbers are what you want. I order an extra one for each side. Strange thing is, the driver's side ones are made from brown plastic and the passenger side ones are white plastic. But hey, they are correct!

Bart

Jason
11/14/2011, 09:31 PM
I ran into this problem today and as always, I knew to come here for help. I found a Dorman brand Help! package at Advance Auto, part number 75450. The black clip did the job for me. Probably a similar or same package as Solitude used back in 2008. Probably an hour in labor total.

Dean68
12/13/2011, 01:41 PM
Jason, do those parts still work? Do you know which color you used for Driver and which for Passenger sides?

Thanks

Jason
12/13/2011, 02:32 PM
I only installed the drivers door clip. It still works fine. Don't recall the color but only one or two in the package are close. Just give them a try.

Dean68
12/14/2011, 07:47 AM
That Advance Auto, part number 75450 did the trick. I had two clips that were broken. One was up at the top near the outside handle, the other at the very bottom. In the process of getting the one on at the bottom, I broke the upper clip of the lower rod. I ended up using two sizes overall and had to get a second package. If any fail, I predict it to be the top one near the handle because it just didnt seem to click into place quite as well as the others. Time will tell.

While I was in the door, I decided to investigate the problem with the window ha binding going up. I had always assumed I broke the plastic support at the bottom of the window. But it was fine. Now I just have to figure out how to fix the binding.

crager34
12/14/2011, 08:13 AM
Recently got mine from St. Charles Isuzu and if I remember correctly, Drivers is Black, and Passanger is White.

Dean68
12/14/2011, 08:17 AM
I called St. Charles Isuzu a few weeks ago and they only had the passenger side in stock. They said that there were no more available for the drivers side in the US and that they might be able to get one from Japan but they seemed think it was possible not to be able to get them anymore.

VX KAT
12/14/2011, 09:11 AM
While I was in the door, I decided to investigate the problem with the window ha binding going up. I had always assumed I broke the plastic support at the bottom of the window. But it was fine. Now I just have to figure out how to fix the binding.

Not sure, but sounds like you're NOT familiar with the various fixes for this VERY common problem.
Here's a post that lists many of the "fixes" for the window binding.
Most of us have been able to fix them 100% w/o buying any replacement Isuzu parts. :thumbup:
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showpost.php?p=235155&postcount=5

mdf
01/01/2012, 04:59 PM
Thought I was in trouble when my drivers side handle stopped working, but a quick post on here and got the answer to what was wrong.

Last month I order the driver and passenger side clips from http://isuzuparts.com/partscat.html and got both...about a buck a piece.