PDA

View Full Version : Exporting to Canada

kpaske
02/24/2008, 07:38 PM
Hey guys, I've been talking to a potential buyer for my VX, but he lives in Canada and I'm trying to understand all the rules, costs, and potential pitfalls. I read a few threads about modifying the lighting for DRL (daytime running lights) and labeling the speedo with kph stickers. Does anyone know the specific rules for lift kits or oversized tires?

Another VXer provided me the parts from his child safety restraint kit (which didn't come with the 1999 model), but I've never installed them. Do they bolt right up to existing mounting points or is there any drilling or modification involved?

Also, if I were to be the one to drive it across the border, the US Customs website says I just need to provide them with a copy of the title 72 hours in advance so they can run the VIN and make sure it isn't stolen. Is it really this simple? Would I also need to check in with Canadian Customs to complete the paperwork, or is this something the buyer could do at a later date?

Thanks in advance for any advise.
Kyle

Ldub
02/24/2008, 07:43 PM
Try pm'ing Kenny, he's already jumped through all those "hoops".

Kenny
02/24/2008, 08:11 PM
I guarantee it's a lot more complicated than you think if you haven't been to the www.riv.ca site yet...
US customs is as easy as you say, but Canada Customs will require a broker to do the paperwork - if you try yourself and miss something you could get refused - oh it also has to have the paperwork in place before you bring it to Canada. You only have a certain amount of time to get it approved by RIV, or it goes back to the states. My importer, a local Ford dealership - had experienced two failed attempts. Both cars were purchased but refused entry - one being on the "not approved list" and another that didn't have the paperwork in place and took too long and some complications arose. Both cars had to be re-sold in the US.

Good luck getting a VX that is not meeting the stock requirements through the border. It's possible, but by the RIV requirements, the vehicle has to be bone stock as per the federal sticker of the drivers door. You never know when someone is going to be picky, so it's a big gamble. The safest way is to take off any lift, take out any supercharger, and put the stock size tires on it.

Then all it pretty much needs is DRL and child seat hooks, the rest is just garbage stickers nobody puts on anyways. Once you have the new Canadian Sticker to put next to the US Motor Vehicle sticker on the drivers door opening, then put back the lift and tires etc...

The RIV site will give a full list step by step to importing.

A big help would be for the Canadian to have a good relationship with a car dealer who is registered with RIV to do the "conversion". They may be able to get some stuff squeaked by - especially if he can get the fog lights to be the DRL - not the headlights. Depending on the province, there may be a vehicle safety required too - i.e. brake pad thickness, brake rotor thickness, tire wear, all lights work, wear on wiper blades, yadda yadda...

oh what fun.

kpaske
02/25/2008, 08:06 AM
...it also has to have the paperwork in place before you bring it to Canada. You only have a certain amount of time to get it approved by RIV, or it goes back to the states. My importer, a local Ford dealership - had experienced two failed attempts. Both cars were purchased but refused entry - one being on the "not approved list" and another that didn't have the paperwork in place and took too long and some complications arose. Both cars had to be re-sold in the US.I've looked over the RIV site a little bit just to help understand what all is involved, and from what I read, the only thing that needs to be done in Canada when crossing the border is submitting the Vehicle Import Form 1 - then the buyer would have 14 days to pay the RIV fee and taxes, and a total of 45 to complete the rest of the requirements. Is there more to it than that? What needs to be done in advance on the Canadian side?

Good luck getting a VX that is not meeting the stock requirements through the border. It's possible, but by the RIV requirements, the vehicle has to be bone stock as per the federal sticker of the drivers door. You never know when someone is going to be picky, so it's a big gamble. The safest way is to take off any lift, take out any supercharger, and put the stock size tires on it.Yeah, this part worries me. I don't have a supercharger, but I do have a lift and oversize tires, and taking them off would be a big hassle for me. So the RIV is actually going to inspect the vehicle when it crosses? I thought those things wouldn't matter until the buyer went to get his inspection sticker? I have no plans to do the modifications on my end - this is something the buyer would take care of once inside Canada.

A big help would be for the Canadian to have a good relationship with a car dealer who is registered with RIV to do the "conversion".So an individual can't just file the paperwork by himself? The buyer has to use a car dealer?

Chopper
02/25/2008, 02:57 PM
Kenny, isn't there some kind of provisions for hot rods and such? I'm curious, because twice, I've sold HEAVILY modified cars to Canadians. As far as I knew, these cars were going home with them...and an act of god would have been necessary to make them anything like stock. They just paid their money, and took their cars:confused: Maybe you gotta mod the VX more.

Kenny
02/25/2008, 03:52 PM
Kenny, isn't there some kind of provisions for hot rods and such? I'm curious, because twice, I've sold HEAVILY modified cars to Canadians. As far as I knew, these cars were going home with them...and an act of god would have been necessary to make them anything like stock. They just paid their money, and took their cars:confused: Maybe you gotta mod the VX more.

My guess is that those vehicles are older than 15 years, then they are exempt. If they are less, then they probably got in under the radar. As I was saying, it all depends if you have a buttmunch approving your entry. I think 99% of any modified vehicle will make it through if the way is smooth with people you know - but all it takes is for some stickler to pull out the "rules" and things could get ugly.

Kenny
02/25/2008, 04:14 PM
I've looked over the RIV site a little bit just to help understand what all is involved, and from what I read, the only thing that needs to be done in Canada when crossing the border is submitting the Vehicle Import Form 1 - then the buyer would have 14 days to pay the RIV fee and taxes, and a total of 45 to complete the rest of the requirements. Is there more to it than that? What needs to be done in advance on the Canadian side?

Yeah, this part worries me. I don't have a supercharger, but I do have a lift and oversize tires, and taking them off would be a big hassle for me. So the RIV is actually going to inspect the vehicle when it crosses? I thought those things wouldn't matter until the buyer went to get his inspection sticker? I have no plans to do the modifications on my end - this is something the buyer would take care of once inside Canada.

So an individual can't just file the paperwork by himself? The buyer has to use a car dealer?

Sure a person can do all this himself, but it could be a bit of a gamble if you've never done it before with all the paperwork involved. I'd suggest a car dealer or at the least directions from someone who knows exactly how to do it. Brokers are cheap - they can save headaches.

I used a car dealer as that is what Canada Customs recommended to me to make it as hassle free as possible. The dealer with their customs broker added a level of legitimacy that made things go smoother. If you try yourself and miss a step and end up with a border guard with an attitude - they won't be very helpful and can be downright nasty.

The order of paperwork is correct, but don't wait until it's in Canada to go find a RIV approved mechanic to put in the DRL and do the check over. The importer should have someone lined up to do the work and approvals before it arrives. As I said, if they have a good relationship with the mechanic, then those mods will likely fall under the radar. If you pick someone out of a hat, they could use the "no mods allowed" to pull a fast one and get a crap load of work to un-mod the vehicle.

It also helped me a lot to have a dealer who could waive the state tax since I bought mine from a dealer. Different story if going private from you.. (but I'm not sure how it work for you.. I can get my provincial taxes rebated after I sell if I buy another car within 6 months in the province)

The RIV sticker is a FEDERAL sticker stating it meets all the requirements to get into Canada. You need that in order to start the process to get a PROVINCIAL inspection and insurance (at least in my province where insurance is NOT private - it's controlled by the 'guvmint) The Canadian sticker compliments the US Federal sticker (which has tire size and curb weight on it - hence the recommendation to go stock) It's not clearly stated, but that is the information I got from talking to RIV in my research to import a VX due to the typical lift mods and S/C that were out there.

Chopper
02/25/2008, 04:24 PM
Yep...older than 15 years

kpaske
02/25/2008, 07:46 PM
OK, so i'm still a little unclear. Am I actually required to stop at Canadian customs to obtain this RIV sticker, or can I just clear US Customs, deliver the vehicle to the buyer, and let him and his broker worry about the federal RIV sticker, provincial inspection, etc?

Kenny
02/26/2008, 05:15 PM
OK, so i'm still a little unclear. Am I actually required to stop at Canadian customs to obtain this RIV sticker, or can I just clear US Customs, deliver the vehicle to the buyer, and let him and his broker worry about the federal RIV sticker, provincial inspection, etc?

US Customs just needs to see the pink slip and match it to the car to make sure it isn't a stolen car leaving the country.

Technically you need to have the vehicle paperwork cleared before brining it into Canada. That's the export paperwork - the RIV stuff is separate. But you may be able to get it through the border - you will have to decide to how you answer the border guard's question "purpose of your visit" and "any gifts or items you'll be leaving in Canada". If you're truthful, they may be nice and let you through or maybe not... If you lie, they could seize the car later being imported under false pretenses, very very tough to prove and unlikely to happen -

But hey, I'm wired to do risk assessments and I see things a bit differently than some people.

I'm pretty sure you can do it all the way you think you can, and make it work; and if things start going south - play dumb and ignernt...

I'm not actually an expert in this, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once... (actually my dad works for Canada Customs so I had good insights)

So basically, I'd just have the Canadian buyer (or you) call the border crossing you are planning to cross at and ask these questions about the paperwork and see how lenient they are to procedures.

Good Luck!

kpaske
02/26/2008, 07:25 PM
Cool, I don't think they've ever asked me at the border if I was going to be leaving any gifts in Canada, although I've never been further than Vancouver. So if they ask, I'll explain the situation and hope for the best. If they don't let me through, I'm less than 3 hours from the border so it's not really a huge big deal to turn around and go home, but I'll probably make a couple of phone calls to US and Canadian customs in advance just to see what they have to say.

Are there RIV offices throughout Canada, or are they only at the border crossings and ports? The buyer lives about 10 hours from the border, so I'd hate for him to have to make that drive if there is something that needs to be done there.

Bulldoggie
02/26/2008, 10:15 PM
I think it should be the "BUYERS" responsibility to bring the vehicle thru customs.
Shipping, Taxes, Lic., Import duties.... ..... ... Buyers problem.
If he is not willing to come and get it, then He should hire an agent to arrange to deliver it.
Don't let a "potential" buyer, put you, "jumping through hoops".
Hold the hoop out for him, and say, "If you want it, it's here. Come and get it."

CASH!

Kenny
02/28/2008, 04:42 PM
Cool, I don't think they've ever asked me at the border if I was going to be leaving any gifts in Canada, although I've never been further than Vancouver. So if they ask, I'll explain the situation and hope for the best. If they don't let me through, I'm less than 3 hours from the border so it's not really a huge big deal to turn around and go home, but I'll probably make a couple of phone calls to US and Canadian customs in advance just to see what they have to say.

Are there RIV offices throughout Canada, or are they only at the border crossings and ports? The buyer lives about 10 hours from the border, so I'd hate for him to have to make that drive if there is something that needs to be done there.

RIV is pretty much one office in Toronto to push the paperwork. The real work is done by the approved mechanics who modify and inspect the vehicles then send in a check list saying that it meets all the requirements set out by RIV.
That's sort of the joke - the RIV instructions say to put the km/h stickers on the speedo, and put on French language air bag and seatbelt stuff (wacky Canadians) - the dealers typically laugh and will do it if the client really wants and either way check off to say that they did... The big items are DRL and child seat restraint hooks.

I agree with the last post, let him buy it first then he can pick it up and drive it through the border. Or if you can get to him and then sell it for CASH, then it's again his problem to get it approved or he'll have to sell it to an American i it has to go back to the US.

Cheers.

kpaske
02/28/2008, 08:48 PM
Oh yeah, I totally agree - it's his problem - I'm just trying to help the process along. Because I wasn't working when we initially started discussing the sale I offered to drive the vehicle up if he paid for expenses and a flight back, I just wanted to make sure I was crossing the border legally and all that.

mrtew
03/15/2008, 12:26 PM
I moved to Canada and imported my VX and it wasn't that big of deal. I showed did have to fax the title and registration to the border a few days before I crossed and that was it. Then to register it when I got it here I had to do the DRLs and the speedometer stickers and the inspections etc but that seemed to be a totally different process from the border crossing. The child seat hook or whatever it is, is just a 3 dollar item you buy at Canadian Tire (like Kmart) and you don't have to install it... just have it in the glovebox. And they can also install the DRL box for about $100 total I think it was. And the speedo can just be vinyl stickers you put on at 50, 80, and 100 kph (30, 50, and 60 mph). The biggest deal is going to be paying the taxes!

skipidak
07/26/2008, 11:57 AM
Hi guys,

Let me start with that - I am Canadian and I alwys wanted to have one of these small beasts which unfortunately have never been for sale in Canada. Finally decided I will import one from down the States. After some research and few phone calls here and there (RIA/etc) I decided to make the plunge. So I just brought my new 2000 VX to Canada :). The customs part/payments/duties/etc is all done. Now I have to do the harder part - to get it Registered here. I've been at Canadian Tire (one of the RIA approved 'modifiers') and pretty much I was told all I need is to have DRL enabled. I really don't like the idea to have Canadian Tire guys to poke in my car, I'd rather do it myself. Is there an easy way to enable the DRL on the car (doesn't matter headlights or the fogs)? I've seen several cars in the States for sale with DRL in description, I know some states require DRL (mine unfortunately has no DRL), I am thinking there might be an easy way to do it without much cutting and splicing.
Any advice will be much appreciated!!!

cheers!

kodiak
07/26/2008, 01:20 PM
I believe you can buy day time running lamp kits at any auto store in Canada. :confused:

skipidak
07/27/2008, 07:01 PM
I believe you can buy day time running lamp kits at any auto store in Canada. :confused:

Thanks for the advise Kodiak,

I actually decided to have a look on the relay panel and immediately realized it is a very easy mod to do - all that was necessary was to ensure headlights relay gets power wherever ignition is on (to ensure headlights work only when ignition is on) and make ground permanent (to bypass headlight switch off position). In just about 10 minutes I had perfectly working up-to-code DRL-s on the car - only headlights are on when headlight switch on off position - no marker lights/taillights or instrument panel lights. I am happy :) Waiting for "form 1" to arrive in mail and go get it certified.

Kenny
07/28/2008, 05:44 PM
Welcome, eh.
:grinr:

mrtew
07/28/2008, 08:05 PM
Thanks for the advise Kodiak,

I actually decided to have a look on the relay panel and immediately realized it is a very easy mod to do - all that was necessary was to ensure headlights relay gets power wherever ignition is on (to ensure headlights work only when ignition is on) and make ground permanent (to bypass headlight switch off position). In just about 10 minutes I had perfectly working up-to-code DRL-s on the car - only headlights are on when headlight switch on off position - no marker lights/taillights or instrument panel lights. I am happy :) Waiting for "form 1" to arrive in mail and go get it certified.

WOW I wish I'd known that before I got Canadian Tire to splice their freaky box into my electrical system! I ended up with the opposite situation though.... when I turn my key on every single light turns on except the headlights! Could you post pictures or a description of how you actually did it or both in case I decide to go that route when my box breaks.

Kenny
07/29/2008, 02:35 PM
WOW I wish I'd known that before I got Canadian Tire to splice their freaky box into my electrical system! I ended up with the opposite situation though.... when I turn my key on every single light turns on except the headlights! Could you post pictures or a description of how you actually did it or both in case I decide to go that route when my box breaks.

Ya, the dealer that did my DRL did a complicated relay system that I had to disable as the HLights came on with the key turn, then off during cranking, then back on after it starts. It killed my HID bulbs in no time with the on/off/on at every start. So now I just wire my fog lights as DRL (this is fine since GMC trucks and some vans use low output lights next to the main headlights as DRL.) All you have to do is add a relay with fused constant power and the green/red ignition wire to trigger the relay.

If you tie into the headlights, you have to splice in so the steering column switch can still go Hi-Lo.

Also I found that with the headlights wired to come on with the ignition wire, it was a nuisance at the drive-in movies. I had to pull the HL fuse or blind everyone with HIDs.

Ldub
07/29/2008, 04:14 PM
it was a nuisance at the drive-in movies. I had to pull the HL fuse or blind everyone with HIDs.

WTH??? You guys still have drive in movies up there??? TOO COOL!..:cool:

stangri
09/23/2010, 08:28 PM
Just got a Form 2 from RIV (instead of e-mailing you the PDF like they did before, they just now send you back the case number and the link where you can download the Form 2 if you have case number and last 6 digits of the VIN), it explicitly states that VXes equipped with the lift kit are INADMISSIBLE to Canada and the phone number to contact RIV for details (1-888-848-8240).

Did a MikeMol's hack for DRL, heading to Canadian Tire (and AirCare) tomorrow. My only concern is the loud aftermarket muffler.

PS. It was my first time importing a car bought from the private party and despite the signed bill of sale and the title (both with the price indicated), I was grilled at the border for not having printed a craigslist ad and the price being less than what the dealers want.

stangri
09/27/2010, 07:11 PM
MikeMol's hack worked well for my local Canadian Tire and to my big surprise I didn't have to do AirCare (emissions) since it's not required for the first 2 years of the car registration (even if the car is old).

The inspector couldn't care less about missing metric markings on the speedo and missing bi-lingual airbag stickers -- did both federal and provincial inspections without any problems.

Cobrajet
10/03/2010, 06:17 AM
The inspector couldn't care less about missing metric markings on the speedo and missing bi-lingual airbag stickers -- did both federal and provincial inspections without any problems.:ot: Congratulations! You're the first to use this phrase correctly in YEARS!! Most people say/write "I could care less...", which is completely opposite of the intended meaning. My father used to say that, and my mother would usually correct him! :) Maybe it's a Canadian thing, eh?

mrtew
10/03/2010, 07:51 AM
As a new Canadian I use it even more correctly! I say, "I could care less, but not much". Everyone could care less no matter how little they care! To get back to the subject, my poor VX has been sitting in the Canadian garage all summer with a dead battery and flat tires and it's just pathetic. I bought it a new battery and pumped up the Coopers last weekend and it's getting ready to go fight the icy roads for the next 7 months!!! The poor Camaro only gets about 5 months to play in the great white north!

stangri
10/05/2010, 09:54 PM
Cobrajet -- thank you, given that english is not my first language any praise on my language skill is very flattering. :)

BTW, I should have posted this initially -- when I spoke to the Canadian Tire folk doing both federal and provincial inspections I asked them if there were *any* regulations for the power output or the size of the DRL and they said no. So if anyone is giving you hard time with the fog lights as DRL -- ask them for the specific regulations and post here please.

Dmitrikr
10/06/2010, 07:50 PM
What I did was - foglight as drl and written numbers on cluster that's it.(but no lift & original tires)