PDA

View Full Version : 4x4 won't always work!?

riggerr1
02/25/2008, 09:06 AM
Hi, my 4x4 is working when it wants to!? seems like when its colder it never works?! Lately it won't work at all! I don't know much about the Torque on Demand system, I'm used to GM systems, But i have a new love for the VX's!! Can someone help me? Or know what is going on with this? Anyone know of a good technician near Central Wisconsin?? I'm willing to pay, or whatever!

mbeach
02/25/2008, 09:56 AM
The VX's transfer case (sadly) won't allow a full-on 2wd mode.
There will always be some torque transfer to the front wheels, even if all of the electronics were ripped out.

What exactly is it doing?
Are you being led to believe that it's not going into 4hi because of the display only?
Does it go into 4lo?

etlsport
02/25/2008, 10:03 AM
i think you need to give a little more info so we can help you.. what do you mean it wont always work? you cant get the lever into 4lo? when its in 4lo no lights on the dash light up? your wheels dont spin?

normal operation of the vehicle in 4hi is the light for the rear wheels on the TOD display should always be lit, after hitting about 5 mph, one bar on the front wheels should light up if your wheels are not slipping. (15/85 power front/rear) when the wheels start to slip a second bar for the front wheels will come on (35/65 power front/rear) and if the wheels continue to slip, the third bar will come on (50/50 power front/rear) once the wheels stop slipping, it will return to 15/85 (one front bar)

tom4bren
02/27/2008, 11:43 AM
Elsewhere on this forum, the TOD was described as being an electrical clutch system utilizing Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) to activate the clutch. All that means is that the vehicle sends longer or shorter pulses to the clutch to adjust the amount of power sent to the wheels.

Your problem could be anything from speed sensors at the wheels, to electrical connection between the computer & the TOD to mechanical problems in the transfer case. That's why we need more detail on what your symptoms are.

Triathlete
02/27/2008, 11:47 AM
Elsewhere on this forum, the TOD was described as being an electrical clutch system utilizing Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) to activate the clutch. All that means is that the vehicle sends longer or shorter pulses to the clutch to adjust the amount of power sent to the wheels.

Your problem could be anything from speed sensors at the wheels, to electrical connection between the computer & the TOD to mechanical problems in the transfer case. That's why we need more detail on what your symptoms are.

Or, it may be working the way it is designed to work!

mbeach
02/27/2008, 11:51 AM
I authored one of the longer, more boring TOD meets PWM write-ups.

The biggest indicator of any type of TOD problem is the flashing red "TOD" indicator.
If it ain't working like it should, that light will tell you long before you sense something is amiss.

It's a pretty good system in that respect.

tom4bren
02/27/2008, 12:05 PM
"Or, it may be working the way it is designed to work!"

True, I thought of that but forgot to put it in my response.:)

uncle_asa
02/27/2008, 12:52 PM
I had hub snap ring self-detached from the drive shaft, so sometimes 4x4 wont worked as expected. If it the case - check knuckle needle bearing, most likely it is dead as well.