PDA

View Full Version : Household LED Lightbulbs

tom4bren
03/07/2008, 08:40 AM
Just ordered some LED Lighbulbs for the house (trying to go green when I can). C Crane has some on sale right now if anyone is interested.

http://www.ccrane.com/lights/led-light-bulbs/index.aspx

Probably not bright enough for reading lamps & such but should work great in my outdoor post lights (especially since they stay on all night). Theoretically they'll save you $350 over the life of the bulb as compared to a standard 40W bulb (replaced 7 times).

Tom

TechnoPope
03/07/2008, 09:51 AM
Tom, thanks for the tip.
Here is another useful led replacement that I just discovered a few days ago. These replace standard four foot flourescent lamps without any modification to the fixture. Cost is still high but performance is actually better than what it replaces - unlike many of the current screw in led lamps.
http://www.everled.com/everled-tr/?
Frank

tom4bren
03/07/2008, 10:04 AM
At $15 each, it sounds pricey but the savings in the long run is worth it (actually, I think it pays for itself within 6 months). Thanks for the tip. I don't have any flourescent fixtures at home but I'll pass the source on to our facilities management in case they are interested.

I did replace one small flourescent fixture over the kitchen sink with a strip of LEDs that I picked up at Lowes. Works great. The color shift may bother some people but doesn't bother me in the least.

Now I gotta start ordering the LED Christmas lights for next year.:)

TechnoPope
03/07/2008, 11:28 AM
I agree that the typical LED color can be surprisingly blue. LED lamp manufacturers tend to use the cooler color temps because they are percieved as being brighter. It took about six years for CFL manufacturers to offer warm, cool and daylight coloring. Hopefully, LED lamps will more quickly follow that trend. I was surprised to see that the shop light replacement that I posted above comes in five different color temperatures. More manufacturers need to do the same to gain consumer acceptance (and get their prices down as well).

The LED strips that are available at the hardware stores are more freqently available in warm colors so you may want to check those out.

We went with LED Christmas lights outdoors this year. They definitely do not have a traditional look! Though, the 80% energy savings is hard to beat.

If you like to show off your LED technology, check your local Target for the River Rock 2AA 1.5 watt flashlight (I hope they still sell them). They are a little larger than a pen, have one excellent LED, and put out light like a theater spotlight. A good example of what the newer LEDs can do when utilized for their strengths.

mdwyer
03/07/2008, 11:33 PM
Just ordered some LED Lighbulbs for the house (trying to go green when I can). Theoretically they'll save you $350 over the life of the bulb as compared to a standard 40W bulb (replaced 7 times).

If you're trying to save the world, LEDs might not be the best way. When you actually consider the amount of light you get per watt, things start looking pretty dire. A 40W incandescent is only about 2% efficient. CFLs sit around 7-9%. The LED bulbs can be from 1.5% to 13%. That's either really good, or worse than the bulb they're replacing. There are some fluorescent tubes that can be 15% efficient.

It gets even worse, though: Those ugly yellow streetlamps are 27% efficient. The fixtures are expensive and they take forever to strike, but if you're just going to light a large yard from dusk to dawn, they're almost perfect. There's a reason they're used as streetlights!

My yard is too small to warrant a sodium vapor fixture. I went with CFL bulbs in existing sealed fixtures. I've got a handful of 23W and 14W CFL bulbs controlled by photo diodes. I had to pay a little extra for controllers that will control CFL bulbs, but I think the security and convenience has been totally worth it.

I'm almost positive the project's paid for itself already. I'm paying about 5 cents a day for energy, compared with the 23 cents it would cost for incandescent bulbs. I'm making $5 a month!

I think anything you can do to save energy is a Good Thing. But just be careful that you're actually saving energy, and not just getting green-washed.

There's a guy a few blocks away who lights his yard up with three 1KW halogen fixtures. 3KW/h for 8 hours, at $.09/KWh... that's over two dollars a day!!

Source: Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luminous_efficacy)

tom4bren
03/10/2008, 01:45 PM
I know that the light output from the LED bulbs aren't all that great BUT.... They consume less than a Watt. I'm more interested in accent lighting than I am in illumination. For that purpose LEDs can't be beat. I'm not interested in reading a book outside so the light output is adequate. I have a parking lot light I inherited from a neighbor doing construction. I use that one when we want to illuminate for parties & such.

Thanks for the input mdwyer. I'll have to check on the efficiency numbers you posted though (I'm pretty sure LEDs are more efficient than that).

etlsport
03/10/2008, 01:58 PM
not where sure the percentages come from? usually light efficiency is measured in lumens/watt.. heres a chart on how they compare...

http://www.mge.com/images/embed_lumensperwatt2.gif

the yellow street lamps you were talking about are typically high pressure sodium

tom4bren
03/10/2008, 02:33 PM
Thanks Eric.

Of course those numbers are for 'stable' consumption. Some of those lights consume massive quantities to start up so are only efficient for long periods of illumination and are not cycled on and off. That said, efficiency MUST take into account application.

I don't need massive amount of lumens for my application. I need the minimum amount of power consumption for the amount of light that I'm comfortable with & LEDs answer that well. When I want to illuminate my back yard like there is a massive solar flare occuring - I turn on my mercury vapor light and like magic, 30 minutes later I'm getting a sunburn at midnight.:)

mdwyer
03/10/2008, 05:27 PM
That said, efficiency MUST take into account application.

Yup. Still, I didn't mean to start ragging on you. I'm sorry if it sounded that way. I'm glad to hear about anyone doing anything to save some watts.

I was just in Costco a few days ago, and they've got LED bar kits -- six or them, I think, about 9 inches long. They're RGB multi-colored and intended to be attached to your AV equipment --backlight your flatscreen or something like that. They're like this item, (http://cyron.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=HT902&Category_Code=) but cheaper and more sticks included.

It was kind of tough for me to not pick them up. I'm sort of colorblind, so colors have to be pretty bold for me to care about them. That might be why I like the Proton so much...

Anyway, I love the pure colors that come out of LED lights. I'd love to have them stuck all over my house as mood lighting. That, and I like the idea that you can change a room from cold blue to hot red and the push of a button. :)

Ascinder
03/10/2008, 06:25 PM
I was just in Costco a few days ago, and they've got LED bar kits -- six or them, I think, about 9 inches long. They're RGB multi-colored and intended to be attached to your AV equipment --backlight your flatscreen or something like that. They're like this item, but cheaper and more sticks included.

Is it supposed to make your screen like this?:

http://www.hdtvlounge.net/philips/aurea/

snowtrooper1966
03/10/2008, 06:40 PM
Backlighting for Home Theater applications is to reduce eye strain from bright screens:

That is not my setup, just something I pulled off the web...
James

mdwyer
03/11/2008, 05:14 PM
Is it supposed to make your screen like this?:

http://www.hdtvlounge.net/philips/aurea/

Yeah, but not automatic. You pick a color and stick with it. Or I suppose you could have it cycle. Wouldn't that just make you want to blow chunks...

As for the utility of TV lighting? Naw. I don't buy it. It was silly in the 50s (http://www.tvlamps.net/), and it's still silly now. :)

nfpgasmask
03/12/2008, 11:01 AM
One of those light bars would actually be quite cool in the cargo area of the VX....hmmmm.

Bart

mdwyer
03/12/2008, 05:07 PM
One of those light bars would actually be quite cool in the cargo area of the VX....hmmmm.

I get the impression that you won't really be interested until they come out with black LEDs... :D

etlsport
03/13/2008, 08:10 AM

Bart

bart check out the led bar section of www.autolumination.com

they have some 48" led bars i was looking at.. my dome light does a good job with the cargo area at this point with 36(-3 that are out) LEDs.. but i measured it should wrap from the top seam between the two rear panels, around the back and just to the other first seam on the other side

tom4bren
03/18/2008, 09:17 AM
"Yup. Still, I didn't mean to start ragging on you. I'm sorry if it sounded that way. "

No worry. I don't get 'bent' too easy.

I put the LED bulbs in the post light (3) on the back porch. My wife asked me to turn it on & I replied it IS on.:)

mdwyer
03/18/2008, 01:17 PM
Apropos to this discussion, I just saw a video on CNet about a new light bulb called Luxim (http://www.engadget.com/2008/03/18/luxim-wants-to-brighten-your-block-with-ultra-powerful-plasma-li/). These little bulbs about the size of a Tic-Tac are very efficient, and amazingly bright.

The video is here: http://www.news.com/1606-2-6234653.html

UtahVXer
10/29/2008, 09:17 PM
I just picked up some LED bulbs at WalMart for only $5 each. They are replacement bulbs for the outdoor lantern or indoor chandelier type. They only use 1.5W, while they claim to be equivalent to 40W in light output, though they appear dimmer to me (there is no lumens rating on the package). They are also much bluer than incandescent bulbs. Still for the price, they should pay for themselves very quickly in energy savings. The life rating of the LEDs is 30,000 hours.

Hotsauce
10/30/2008, 04:22 PM
I need full spectrum light to work by. LED is bandpassed light, and casts odd shadows. Flourescent flickers enough that its unsafe to use machine tools.

At work I have flourescent overhead lights, but halogen lights at the machines.

If you want energy effecient LED's look for the energy star rating.

John C.

UtahVXer
10/30/2008, 07:18 PM
BuyLighting.com is another good source for affordable LED bulbs. They also carry high-pressure sodium and metal halide lighting. The way the price of LEDs keeps dropping, they may very well soon replace many other lighting types. http://www.buylighting.com/LED-Light-Bulbs-s/347.htm

tom4bren
10/31/2008, 10:34 AM
"LED is bandpassed light"

Actually they are monochromatic.

I don't mean to correct people too much, I just like using big words.:)

So-CalVX
11/05/2008, 08:36 AM
I get the impression that you won't really be interested until they come out with black LEDs... :D

has anyone ever wondered about a dark light?... a light that emits dark..... do i sound like a fool lol
i have always been curious if there's a possibility of this :cool:

nfpgasmask
11/05/2008, 08:48 AM
has anyone ever wondered about a dark light?... a light that emits dark..... do i sound like a fool lol
i have always been curious if there's a possibility of this :cool:

Scientifically, I do not think it is possible, as darkness is the lack of all light, and what our eyes perceive as light and color, is nothing more than refracted light.

That said, I think a black hole could be considered a "dark light". :)

Bart

tom4bren
11/05/2008, 10:17 AM
I thought I saw a 'dark light' once. It ended up just being Bart driving by in his uber-ebony VX.:)

Piers Anthony used a dark light in one of his Xanth books (can't remember which one).