PDA

View Full Version : Up Up And Away!

nfpgasmask
03/19/2008, 02:27 PM
I just picked up the keys to our new house! w00t!

The best part is, my garage has AT LEAST 6-8"s more clearance than my current garage, even with my roof rack and spare on top, which means.......

I'M LIFTING!

:rotate:

It might not look like it in the photos, but the space is there!!!

http://www.nofuture.com/lj/03-19-08/001.jpg

http://www.nofuture.com/lj/03-19-08/002.jpg

BFG M/Ts on deck for Moab! :bgwo:

Bart

cyronman
03/19/2008, 02:31 PM
CONGRATS dude!

That must be such a great feeling. I hope to own one of these next couple of years myself.

nfpgasmask
03/19/2008, 02:32 PM
CONGRATS dude!

That must be such a great feeling. I hope to own one of these next couple of years myself.

Yeah, we are stoked. We saved and saved and hunted and hunted, and took the plunge at the best time. Needless to say, I'm gonna be broke for the next 12 months, but hell, I don't have to save for a house anymore!!!

:bwgy: Bart

ZEUS
03/19/2008, 02:33 PM
AHH YEEEAH!! BFG MT's?????? 2" lift? Oh you already answered the 1st question.

nfpgasmask
03/19/2008, 02:38 PM
AHH YEEEAH!! BFG MT's?????? 2" lift? Oh you already answered the 1st question.

All that is TBD of course. I will probably do a lift like the one Clint has, which I think is about 2"s. Then I will see if I can fit 265s underneath, I don't know if I can fit 285s, but 265s should be fine. And yes, BFG M/Ts are my choice, hopefully, I can get the new style.

Damn, I got my work cut out for me, and I better get my credit card warmed up.

Bart

ZEUS
03/19/2008, 02:45 PM
I just threw in the 912's and fit 32"s so you should be able to do the same with your lesser offset... if you can stand the loss in performance anyway!

nfpgasmask
03/19/2008, 02:50 PM
I just threw in the 912's and fit 32"s so you should be able to do the same with your lesser offset... if you can stand the loss in performance anyway!

I don't necissarily mind the loss of pick up per se, but fuel efficency loss will be annoying, and I am worried about the whole CV boot issue as well, which I'm sure will rear its ugly head shortly after I go up...

32s end up being 265s or 285s????

Bart

ZEUS
03/19/2008, 02:58 PM
http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp?action=submit

I have 18's so that numbers game is a different realm for me. Try the link.

Chopper
03/19/2008, 03:02 PM
All that is TBD of course. I will probably do a lift like the one Clint has, which I think is about 2"s. Then I will see if I can fit 265s underneath, I don't know if I can fit 285s, but 265s should be fine. And yes, BFG M/Ts are my choice, hopefully, I can get the new style.

Damn, I got my work cut out for me, and I better get my credit card warmed up.

Bart'stead of warming it up, do yourself a BIG favor, cut it up. Double up on those mortgage payments...one toward principal only. You'll be shocked how quickly you build equity. More fun to spend like a sailor, when you got it to spend without the 18 or 20% hit.:cool: Congrats....you now get to vote in a Jeffersonian Democracy

Chopper
03/19/2008, 03:04 PM
Your avatar reminds me of the band, the Scissor Sisters.:)

nfpgasmask
03/19/2008, 03:04 PM
'stead of warming it up, do yourself a BIG favor, cut it up. Double up on those mortgage payments...one toward principal only. You'll be shocked how quickly you build equity. More fun to spend like a sailor, when you got it to spend without the 18 or 20% hit.:cool: Congrats....you now get to vote in a Jeffersonian Democracy

Yeah, I know. I'm careful these days. After coming out from 20k+ in cc debt, I will never dive that deep again. My buy-now, pay-later days are history, for the most part....

Bart

CrnCnn
03/19/2008, 03:05 PM
Thats AWESOME man. Congrats on the pad. Thats got to be a good feeling. I am ready to help you lift when you want, you really dont even need help but I can hand you tools or something. Your truck is gonna look great lifted with tires.

nfpgasmask
03/19/2008, 03:07 PM
Thats AWESOME man. Congrats on the pad. Thats got to be a good feeling. I am ready to help you lift when you want, you really dont even need help but I can hand you tools or something. Your truck is gonna look great lifted with tires.

Sweet, thanks. I'll have you boys over soon! I'll be there all weekend so I will call you.

Bart

nfpgasmask
03/19/2008, 03:10 PM
Your avatar reminds me of the band, the Scissor Sisters.:)

LOL, so far, only Ldub has picked up on the true meaning of my scissors. So here you go:

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w167/jt-man2/1176489024096.gif

God, I love that episode....

Bart

ZEUS
03/19/2008, 03:18 PM
And there goes yet another G-rated thread - Awesome!

Chopper
03/19/2008, 03:24 PM
LOL, so far, only Ldub has picked up on the true meaning of my scissors. So here you go:

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w167/jt-man2/1176489024096.gif

God, I love that episode....

Bart
I'm not new to "scissor grind"...Scissor Sisters are all guys:p

nfpgasmask
03/19/2008, 03:27 PM
And there goes yet another G-rated thread - Awesome!

Hey man, South Park is on TV....:p

Bart

Scott Harness
03/20/2008, 06:44 AM
Congrats Bart!! I've got 265-75-16 on mine.Just a tiny bit of trimming on front cladding,like 1/3 of an inch. You can't tell.

etlsport
03/20/2008, 07:25 AM
nice, congrats on the new house, its got a nice garage if nothing else ;Db; now you dont have to wash the VX as often 'cause nobody will be able to see it hehe

WormGod
03/20/2008, 07:51 AM
I went through the same issues when I bought my house a few years ago. My VX would fit in the garage easily with a lift, but it might have issues clearing the raised garage door. Taking off the roof rack and the rack fairing would grant a little more headroom for door clearance, but damn, I hate to just do and and find it isn't enough, heh. Just not worth finding out only to have to keep it parked in the driveway. Though, I am sure the WRX is saying "Do it! do it! then I can stay in the garage!", hahaha.

Grats on the house. Great time to buy, sad time to sell. So many great looking homes around my way up for sale at dirt cheap prices now, but I would take a huge hit on the sale of my house, if I could even sell it. :(

nfpgasmask
03/20/2008, 08:12 AM
Congrats Bart!! I've got 265-75-16 on mine.Just a tiny bit of trimming on front cladding,like 1/3 of an inch. You can't tell.

Cool, thanks. I was actually going to PM you about yours. I love the way your VX looks with the lift and the M/Ts, so I hope to get the same look on mine. You lift was about 2"s as well, right? Or was it more?

Bart

nfpgasmask
03/20/2008, 08:14 AM
nice, congrats on the new house, its got a nice garage if nothing else ;Db; now you dont have to wash the VX as often 'cause nobody will be able to see it hehe

Don't worry, I'll still wash my VX as regular as ever. I am thinking of getting a pro wax job sometime soon as well. But I might as well wait until after Moab since I will be covered in layer of bug juice by the time I get back.

Bart

nfpgasmask
03/20/2008, 08:17 AM
I went through the same issues when I bought my house a few years ago. My VX would fit in the garage easily with a lift, but it might have issues clearing the raised garage door. Taking off the roof rack and the rack fairing would grant a little more headroom for door clearance, but damn, I hate to just do and and find it isn't enough, heh. Just not worth finding out only to have to keep it parked in the driveway. Though, I am sure the WRX is saying "Do it! do it! then I can stay in the garage!", hahaha.

Grats on the house. Great time to buy, sad time to sell. So many great looking homes around my way up for sale at dirt cheap prices now, but I would take a huge hit on the sale of my house, if I could even sell it. :(

Yeah, if you are in a position to buy a house right now, consider yourself lucky, because now IS the time. We got a wicked 30 year rate and we also bought this house in a new development before they started building. We looked at the floor plan and liked it, and then the sales lady told us about the incentives they were offering to get the community going, and it was a no-brainer at that point. It was a REALLY nice deal.

Bart

tom4bren
03/20/2008, 08:59 AM
Congrats on the new digs. I'm sure you'll be happy.

I gotta go to closing on my daughter's house tomorrow (first time buyer).

nfpgasmask
03/20/2008, 09:01 AM
Congrats on the new digs. I'm sure you'll be happy.

I gotta go to closing on my daughter's house tomorrow (first time buyer).

Thanks man, I am sure she is nervous! I couldn't sleep last night, that's how excited and freaked out I am!!

:) Bart

Scott Harness
03/20/2008, 10:39 AM
Cool, thanks. I was actually going to PM you about yours. I love the way your VX looks with the lift and the M/Ts, so I hope to get the same look on mine. You lift was about 2"s as well, right? Or was it more?

Bart

The OME 912 lift and the torsion bar cranked.I think it's closer to 3 inches with the 265-75-16's

nfpgasmask
03/20/2008, 11:02 AM
The OME 912 lift and the torsion bar cranked.I think it's closer to 3 inches with the 265-75-16's

OK, so that is one route. That is the same lift Clint has. Is it worth it to do anything up front other than crank the T-bars? Should I go ahead and put in new boots while I am messing around?

Bart

nocturnalVX
03/20/2008, 11:02 AM
Congrats on the new home buddy! I'd love to have that much room for the VX (and other toys). Way cool!

Ldub
03/20/2008, 11:11 AM
OK, so that is one route. That is the same lift Clint has. Is it worth it to do anything up front other than crank the T-bars? Should I go ahead and put in new boots while I am messing around?

Bart

Just get a set of Mec-A-Tec boots from Indy & have em' at the ready & you'll probably never need em'...that's how it's worked for me so far...:cool:

nfpgasmask
03/20/2008, 11:12 AM
Congrats on the new home buddy! I'd love to have that much room for the VX (and other toys). Way cool!

Thanks, Gill! Yeah, it was pretty much an impossibility in Chicago, but out here, things are A LOT more affordable....

Bart

Scott Harness
03/20/2008, 11:13 AM

Bart
You should do the ball joint flip. I didn't because I didn't think I was going to leave it lifted. Lift it for Moab only,but I think I wil go back and do it since I'm leaving it lifted. Just look at the condition of your boots and see if it looks like they need it. I think that is the lift that most people have done.

nfpgasmask
03/20/2008, 11:16 AM
Just get a set of Mec-A-Tec boots from Indy & have em' at the ready & you'll probably never need em'...that's how it's worked for me so far...:cool:

Cool, can you provide a linky to said boots, prease?

Mark B
03/20/2008, 11:52 AM
Nice garage. Give it a few months and see how much stuff you can accumulate to put in your garage and still have space for your VX.
I saw that episode of south park where Mr. Garrison did some sissors.

ZEUS
03/20/2008, 12:44 PM
http://www.independent4x.com/category.html?UCIDs=938630

Here is a bunch of stuff.

nfpgasmask
03/20/2008, 02:31 PM
And here's a link directly to the mec-a-tec kit...

http://www.independent4x.com/item.jhtml?UCIDs=839915%7C1263303&PRID=1081216

couldn't post it earlier, had to get back to work.

Werk schmerk! :) Thanks, dub!

Bart

Chopper
03/20/2008, 03:04 PM

BartDo the boots now, while you're there...bearings too. Get axles now, put them on the shelf...and when the time comes( which according to you is precisely the day after you do the lift) you can slide 'em in. You'll get good at it, open a small CV shop outside Reno, have 4 crumbcatchers (3 of which are yours:mad::rolleyes:) start drinking Old Bushmill, and die at 72 of a cirrotic liver. They'l find you clutching a picture of Spiro Agnew, clad only a loin cloth, WW2 gazmask, and a pair of "Snap-On" boots

WormGod
03/21/2008, 07:40 AM
Do the boots now, while you're there...bearings too. Get axles now, put them on the shelf...and when the time comes( which according to you is precisely the day after you do the lift) you can slide 'em in. You'll get good at it, open a small CV shop outside Reno, have 4 crumbcatchers (3 of which are yours:mad::rolleyes:) start drinking Old Bushmill, and die at 72 of a cirrotic liver. They'l find you clutching a picture of Spiro Agnew, clad only a loin cloth, WW2 gazmask, and a pair of "Snap-On" boots

Oh man, one could only wish. To go the crazy old ways of Hunter S. Thompson. :bgwb:

tomdietrying
03/21/2008, 08:36 AM
Bart, Congrats on the new homestead. Did you buy in Reno?

As far as the ball-flip, I've had mine lifted 3 years and have not done the flip. My understanding is if you can't get the front end aligned after the lift then do a ball flip. Thus far, I've had no problems with getting front end aligned.

Peace.
Tom

tomdietrying
03/21/2008, 08:43 AM
I had to post something quick because I realized my post # was the dreaded devil's #, and I needed it to change to #667 and fast. lol

This is something to think about.........you said Ldub was the only one to get your icon...........Have you wondered why Ldub is the only one to get that and no one else did? lol
Peace.
Tom

LittleBeast
03/21/2008, 10:46 AM
http://www.oreillyauto.com/EW3/ProductDetail.do?id=1464285096&line=DOR&itemNumber=614-001&manualReplCategoryIndex=9&vehicle=2001ISUZUVEHICROSSV6-3494%203.5L%20DOHC&bid=1206121648617&cycleCount=965&currentPage=0

http://www.oreillyauto.com/EW3/ProductDetail.do?id=488089831&line=DOR&itemNumber=614-002&manualReplCategoryIndex=9&vehicle=2001ISUZUVEHICROSSV6-3494%203.5L%20DOHC&bid=1206121648617&cycleCount=965&currentPage=0

Pretty sure these are the two I used, together it is under $50 and it just took 2 hours and a lot of grease (comes with boots). Really easy fix and my CV joints looks brand new at 110k miles.......

If anything ever happens looks like they offer them rebuilt as well:

http://www.oreillyauto.com/EW3/ProductDetail.do?id=1420960758&line=MSV&itemNumber=IZ8011&manualReplCategoryIndex=9&vehicle=2001ISUZUVEHICROSSV6-3494%203.5L%20DOHC&bid=1206121648617&cycleCount=965&currentPage=0

I think I ended up buying mine from autozone but I couldn't find the link quickly enough.

Don't know if anyone has added this link in here to the awesome how to on the cv boots but here it is if not:
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=9031&highlight=cv+boot&page=2

CrnCnn
03/22/2008, 08:24 PM
By the way Bart if you buy from rocky road you want the medium duty. They are the ones I got. OME 912's

Ldub
03/22/2008, 08:33 PM
This is something to think about.........you said Ldub was the only one to get your icon...........Have you wondered why Ldub is the only one to get that and no one else did? lol
Peace.
Tom

Hmmmmm...what might you be implying Tom ???:smilewink

I hope it has to do with the fact that I may be in need of a check up from the neck up...& not some OTHER nasty habit that I may or may not have aquired.:naughty:

666...:evil::flame2::evil:

nfpgasmask
03/22/2008, 08:52 PM
:laughing:

Oh I can't wait for some hot scissoring with you guys in May!!

Bart

Chopper
03/23/2008, 06:41 AM
:laughing:

Oh I can't wait for some hot scissoring with you guys in May!!

BartYIKES!!!! I'm wearing my steel undies!

nfpgasmask
03/25/2008, 11:26 AM
OK, so gearing up. On deck to get ordered are the OME rear springs. Now, Rocky-road lists both a medium duty and heavy duty for $66.02. I assume the price is for one spring. The prices are the same for both. Clint: you said you ordered the medium duty, correct? Anyone else care to comment here? I am going to contact Rocky-road for a little clarification, too.

Also, if I order the OME shocks for the front and rear, should I notice a softer ride? Any opinions here?

Also, I plan to order the Boot kit:
http://www.independent4x.com/item.jhtml?UCIDs=839915%7C938630&PRID=1081216

Also, I am considering this kit:
http://www.independent4x.com/item.jhtml;$sessionid$3YW1V0IAAEWC5TZENUKJPQWPERWR JPX0?UCIDs=839915%7C938630&PRID=1221569

Is anyone running the above brake line upgrade? Opinions? If I order this, I will probably have a brake shop install.

Thanks - Bart

etlsport
03/25/2008, 11:35 AM
OK, so gearing up. On deck to get ordered are the OME rear springs. Now, Rocky-road lists both a medium duty and heavy duty for $66.02. I assume the price is for one spring. The prices are the same for both. Clint: you said you ordered the medium duty, correct? Anyone else care to comment here? I am going to contact Rocky-road for a little clarification, too.

Also, if I order the OME shocks for the front and rear, should I notice a softer ride? Any opinions here?

http://www.independent4x.com/item.jhtml;$sessionid$3YW1V0IAAEWC5TZENUKJPQWPERWR JPX0?UCIDs=839915%7C938630&PRID=1221569

Is anyone running the above brake line upgrade? Opinions? If I order this, I will probably have a brake shop install.

Thanks - Bart

thats the brake kit im running.. they get two thumbs up in my book, i did have trouble with one leaking at first, took 3 attempts to get it o there right but it eventually did go and have had 9 months of trouble free braking

nfpgasmask
03/25/2008, 01:43 PM
thats the brake kit im running.. they get two thumbs up in my book, i did have trouble with one leaking at first, took 3 attempts to get it o there right but it eventually did go and have had 9 months of trouble free braking

Was the leaking something the installer did wrong or was it more of a fitment problem unrelated to the installation?

Thanks,

Bart

BigSwede
03/25/2008, 02:00 PM

Probably not, unless you already have stiff aftermarket shocks...In my experience (Troopers, not VXs BTW) OME Nitrochargers are firmer than the stock shocks, but are not harsh. I think they are outstanding shocks, ruggedly built, and controlled ride under all circumstances on and off road (I have them on my Trooper). And more control is important if you get bigger/heavier tires, too.

As a general rule, lifting the front via torsion bar adjustment tends to make the ride harsher due to the increasingly vertical angles of the control arms. But at 2" lift you probably won't notice that much at all, it is much more noticable beyond 3" lift.

Regarding the coils, the 912s are firmer and carry loads better than stock Trooper coils, but their progressive rate keeps them riding nice. As for the 919 heavy duty coils, consider that a softer coil helps with axle articulation off road. So I recommend the 912s unless you carry around your entire tool collection like Ldub.

nfpgasmask
03/25/2008, 02:38 PM
Probably not, unless you already have stiff aftermarket shocks...In my experience (Troopers, not VXs BTW) OME Nitrochargers are firmer than the stock shocks, but are not harsh. I think they are outstanding shocks, ruggedly built, and controlled ride under all circumstances on and off road (I have them on my Trooper). And more control is important if you get bigger/heavier tires, too.

As a general rule, lifting the front via torsion bar adjustment tends to make the ride harsher due to the increasingly vertical angles of the control arms. But at 2" lift you probably won't notice that much at all, it is much more noticable beyond 3" lift.

Regarding the coils, the 912s are firmer and carry loads better than stock Trooper coils, but their progressive rate keeps them riding nice. As for the 919 heavy duty coils, consider that a softer coil helps with axle articulation off road. So I recommend the 912s unless you carry around your entire tool collection like Ldub.

Great, thanks for the info. Exactly what I needed.

Bart

Ascinder
03/25/2008, 03:45 PM
http://www.independent4x.com/item.jh...0&PRID=1221569

That's what I have on if you want to see it in person. It's (very)easy to install, it's the bleeding that takes the time. I also used this:

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=RUS%2D639570&N=700+4294907576+4294907441+115&autoview=sku

and this:

http://www.rotorsandpads.com/AteSuperBlue-Ate-Super-Blue-Brake-Fluid-ATESUPERBLUE.aspx

I agree with etlsport on the system being a bit leaky, but once you tighten down all the lines and get that infernal right rear clip seated right it's fine.

CrnCnn
03/25/2008, 04:19 PM

Thanks - Bart

By the way Bart if you buy from rocky road you want the medium duty. They are the ones I got. OME 912's

Yes sir. I want to order the brake lines as well but probly wont be able to til after the trip.

nfpgasmask
03/31/2008, 11:26 AM
I just ordered the 912s!

Bart

LittleBeast
03/31/2008, 12:57 PM
I just ordered the 912s!

Bart

Yeah I just got my 912s in last week and the new rear bumpstops from energy suspensions just came in today, ordering new wheels/tires soon..... right there with you so far.

nfpgasmask
03/31/2008, 01:39 PM
Yeah I just got my 912s in last week and the new rear bumpstops from energy suspensions just came in today, ordering new wheels/tires soon..... right there with you so far.

So how long did it take for you to get the springs? I am hoping to get them sometime next week. What will the bump stops do for you?

Bart

LittleBeast
03/31/2008, 02:22 PM
Well, they (rockyroad dudes) were fast on the e-mail replies but I ordered on Feb 28th, and they were delivered March 21st. But they had none on hand and were waiting on a truck or something.

The extended bumpstops will hopefully keep the wider larger tires from rubbing the inside fender or outside cladding. Basically under flexing the larger tires would hit and rub on stuff and the extended bumpstops will stop them on up travel before the tires can hit and rub anything, hopefully. Zeus and others have done this and worked well.

Energy Suspension Part # 9.9104R (for red ones) - "Designed with a large reinforced metal plate welded to a mounting plate and molded-in. 4 1/2" tall,
2 1/2" wide. 2 per set" Evidently if you do this all you have to do is take off the old bumpstop and mount and seperate the two so you can use the stock mount with the new bumpstop. Zeus has photos of this: http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/8437/ppuser/1999

nfpgasmask
03/31/2008, 02:42 PM
Energy Suspension Part # 9.9104R (for red ones) - "Designed with a large reinforced metal plate welded to a mounting plate and molded-in. 4 1/2" tall,
2 1/2" wide. 2 per set" Evidently if you do this all you have to do is take off the old bumpstop and mount and seperate the two so you can use the stock mount with the new bumpstop. Zeus has photos of this: http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/8437/ppuser/1999

Cool, thanks. Hopefully I will get my 912s quicker! What size tires are you running? I am going to go with 265s I think...

Bart

LittleBeast
03/31/2008, 03:49 PM
Cool, thanks. Hopefully I will get my 912s quicker! What size tires are you running? I am going to go with 265s I think...

Bart

Yeah I was planning on doing what LDub did with the 33x12.5 Nitto Mud Grapplers, on 20x8.5" Zinik Z26 (Chrome with black insert). I have been running 285/60-18 with no lift and if I was going to stay with the stock rims, which I talk myself out of everyday, I was going to go with 285/65-18 Nitto Terra Grapplers. I just know myself well enough that if I don't go big, I will go home and wish I did. Go big or go home (and order bigger).....

nfpgasmask
03/31/2008, 04:01 PM
Yeah I was planning on doing what LDub did with the 33x12.5 Nitto Mud Grapplers, on 20x8.5" Zinik Z26 (Chrome with black insert). I have been running 285/60-18 with no lift and if I was going to stay with the stock rims, which I talk myself out of everyday, I was going to go with 285/65-18 Nitto Terra Grapplers. I just know myself well enough that if I don't go big, I will go home and wish I did. Go big or go home (and order bigger).....

Yeah, loose the stock rims. You won't regret it! I still absolutely love my Chambers...and once I lift and slap on 265 BFG M/Ts, I know I will be happy with the (even tougher) look.

Bart

Ascinder
04/02/2008, 02:55 PM
2 1/2" wide. 2 per set" Evidently if you do this all you have to do is take off the old bumpstop and mount and seperate the two so you can use the stock mount with the new bumpstop. Zeus has photos of this: http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/sh...37/ppuser/1999

After you posted this, I went and got some. By "seperate" you mean have to cut off some, but not all of the factory stops. If you look at Zeus' pic, you can see that about 1" of the factory stop remains. I am going to use some square 2" steel tubing instead, I think it'll support it better. Just an FYI, I was expecting 1 1/2" longer bumpstops:(.

LittleBeast
04/02/2008, 11:02 PM
After you posted this, I went and got some. By "seperate" you mean have to cut off some, but not all of the factory stops. If you look at Zeus' pic, you can see that about 1" of the factory stop remains. I am going to use some square 2" steel tubing instead, I think it'll support it better. Just an FYI, I was expecting 1 1/2" longer bumpstops:(.

Dude totally sorry, I was just looking at that myself, as I just picked them up from 4 wheels parts myself. Yeah it does look like he used some of the old bumpstops..... Hmmm..... I am sure we will figure something out. 2" steel tubing as a spacer? Are you going to use the new bumpstops or take them back?

ZEUS
04/03/2008, 09:29 AM
Wassup. The factory bumpstop mount works great for my poly bumper setup. I have caught air and the poly bumpers absorb better than the stock rubbers and the factory mount holds up just fine. The length of the bumpers when mounted this way seems perfect to me.

Ascinder
04/03/2008, 11:05 AM
I went with 2.5" 1/4" wall square tubing(there's no kill like overkill:p) Which I don't recommend since most people are lifted this high so 2.5" won't clear. it was easy to do($10 in steel and drilling six holes plus some bedliner). If you go with smaller tubing, you would be advised to find a way to drill/mill some access holes so you can get a socket through. For anyone who hasn't put these on, how much clearance do you have between the bottom of your stops and your axle? What about you Zeus? Mine seems a little on the smallish side( good for articulation, bad for load carrying) so I'd like to know what is the normal clearance(non lifted). Here's what I got:
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/515/thumbs/Poly_bumps.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/10758)

Chopper
04/03/2008, 04:14 PM
Maybe quarter-half an inch less than you have

Ascinder
04/03/2008, 04:37 PM
Oh, cool then, I have been so used to the gap being several inches that it seemed really tight, but if it's back close to stock, that's great.

ZEUS
04/08/2008, 07:35 AM
I went with 2.5" 1/4" wall square tubing(there's no kill like overkill:p) Which I don't recommend since most people are lifted this high so 2.5" won't clear. it was easy to do($10 in steel and drilling six holes plus some bedliner). If you go with smaller tubing, you would be advised to find a way to drill/mill some access holes so you can get a socket through. For anyone who hasn't put these on, how much clearance do you have between the bottom of your stops and your axle? What about you Zeus? Mine seems a little on the smallish side( good for articulation, bad for load carrying) so I'd like to know what is the normal clearance(non lifted). Here's what I got:
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/515/thumbs/Poly_bumps.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/10758)Yessir, I tried to keep the gap about the same because I think the rear snubbers help to reduce the body roll and therefore help in the handling dept. So mine look about like yours. They kick up a little on some speed bumps so I just go faster to smooth it out! :)

nfpgasmask
04/30/2008, 03:49 PM
So with the help of CrnCnn and Ascinder, I got lifted this week (thanks guys). OME 912s in the rear and about 9 or so cranks on my torsion bars to level out the front end. So far, I notice a big difference in rear end cushyness, which is nice.

Now, is this really all I need to do? Or is this type of "poor man's lift" not very good for longevity? I mean, would it be a good idea to replace my shocks all around? Will my torsion bars eventually sag out? I didn't do the ball joint flip. I'm getting new meat on Saturday and I will see if they have trouble with the alignment. If they can't get things straight, then I guess I will flip them.

Anyway, just looking for some commentary from everyone. What are the real world consequences I should be concerned about? I only want the best for my VX, and I would like to do all I can over the next week.

Bart

nfpgasmask
04/30/2008, 04:46 PM
Just my opinion, but I would flip the b.j.s before trekking halfway across the country and realizing your expensive new tires are wearing poorly because the alignment didn't take. And consider lengthening the rear bumpstops before those expensive new tires wreak havoc on your cladding from flexing too far.

Where can I get some bumpstops fast?

Bart

ZEUS
05/01/2008, 06:49 AM
#9.9104 from Energy Suspension, they come in black or red. Most local 4x4 shops should be able to get them in pretty quickly for ya. I could even pick some up for you here at 4 Wheel Parts and we can install them in Moab if you want. You might have 4 Wheel Parts in Reno too. http://www.4wheelparts.com/stores/store-locator.aspx
http://www.energysuspensionparts.com/proddetail.asp?prod=9.9104

CrnCnn
05/01/2008, 08:53 AM
there is a totally off road here that may have them Bart. maybe even Summit

nfpgasmask
05/01/2008, 09:00 AM
there is a totally off road here that may have them Bart. maybe even Summit

We will check this weekend.

Bart

etlsport
05/01/2008, 09:46 AM
i ordered mine from summit (shipped from ohio), black ones they had in stock, red were back ordered by a few weeks

nfpgasmask
05/04/2008, 09:05 PM
So I am now lifted and the new meat is on. The VX looks TOTALLY SICK now and Linda is ready to KILL me. :)

While the new meats were getting mounted, I had the tire shop remove my R1 pads and put on my stock pads (keeping the R1 drilled/slotted rotors). WOW. What a difference. No more mushy braking. I am going to update the R1 thread I posted a while back with this new info.

Bart

CrnCnn
05/04/2008, 09:13 PM
So I am not lifted and the new meat is on. The VX looks TOTALLY SICK now and Linda is ready to KILL me. :)

While the new meats were getting mounted, I had the tire shop remove my R1 pads and put on my stock pads (keeping the R1 drilled/slotted rotors). WOW. What a difference. No more mushy braking. I am going to update the R1 thread I posted a while back with this new info.

Bart

You are not lifted????? did i miss something. it was yesterday

nfpgasmask
05/04/2008, 09:18 PM
You are not lifted????? did i miss something. it was yesterday

LOL, that "t" should be a "w". Corrected.

JHarris1385
05/05/2008, 07:06 AM
Do I have to ask??? PICTURES!

nfpgasmask
05/05/2008, 08:08 AM
Do I have to ask??? PICTURES!

I'm gonna go ahead and make you wait for Moab photos! ;)

Bart

nfpgasmask
05/05/2008, 09:55 AM
Jerk.

LOL! I was thinking of taking some abstract photos that don't really show anything, but that would be jerky for sure...but I did think of it!