PDA

View Full Version : VX goofy with a stinger???

CrnCnn
03/30/2008, 05:08 PM
So I have seen people around town with stingers, mostly jeeps and maybe a toyota.

How dumb would this look on a VX? I think it wouldn’t be that bad, but just cant picture it.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f180/Jimmylongwong/untitled22222.jpg
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f180/Jimmylongwong/untitled222.jpg

Chopper
03/30/2008, 06:19 PM
They work real well at knocking down brush. Hunters all use them here (or a home made version with a third center bar, a bit lower than the sides, to act as a splitter...to lay the branches to the side instead of straight ahead) I don't hunt and have never used one, but there's plenty around here.

CrnCnn
03/30/2008, 06:58 PM
Well any photochoppers out there that want to try and get a look as to what our rides would look like with one have at it.

etlsport
03/30/2008, 07:02 PM
http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docId=-3057331851525140453&hl=en

if nothing else they are good protection;Db;

CrnCnn
03/30/2008, 08:27 PM
Take out the fog lights and mount part of it in there? That would be cool

CoastieCosta567
03/30/2008, 09:24 PM
you guys know where i can find that bar thats goes on front of the VX that the Geolander has or some other rally VX had on them, is it a homemade custem bar or can u buy it, cuz i always wanted one.

Ldub
03/30/2008, 09:32 PM
you guys know where i can find that bar thats goes on front of the VX that the Geolander has or some other rally VX had on them, is it a homemade custem bar or can u buy it, cuz i always wanted one.

Check Anitas gallery...I seem to remember her having a pre-runner type bar made by Dallas @ Stinky Fab.:_wrench:

CoastieCosta567
03/30/2008, 09:50 PM
thanks Ldub, i'll go check, do they fit the Vx or was it made for the VX?

Check Anitas gallery...I seem to remember her having a pre-runner type bar made by Dallas @ Stinky Fab.:_wrench:

Ldub
03/31/2008, 05:15 AM
thanks Ldub, i'll go check, do they fit the Vx or was it made for the VX?

Custom made, by Dallas @ Stinky Fab:_wrench:

CoastieCosta567
03/31/2008, 05:21 AM
Ldub, I wrote Anita and she said that the project was started, but she never knew if he ever finished it. but she wrote about a guy in AZ that made those bars for VX's, don't know who, but i really would love to find a pre-runner bar, maybe do you know or any1 knows what Bar from another Vehical out there would best fit a VX front, and then kinda some how i'll make it fit with welding or something?

Ldub
03/31/2008, 05:35 AM
Ldub, I wrote Anita and she said that the project was started, but she never knew if he ever finished it. but she wrote about a guy in AZ that made those bars for VX's, don't know who, but i really would love to find a pre-runner bar, maybe do you know or any1 knows what Bar from another Vehical out there would best fit a VX front, and then kinda some how i'll make it fit with welding or something?

That might be Ben @ Stric9 ...not sure. For more ideas, check green dragons gallery.

mbeach
03/31/2008, 09:20 AM
Those were popular here for a while too - I considered it, because they are handy for splitting brush, also, guys mentioned that they make it easier to roll your vehicle back over in case you ever go wheels up.

I decided that it would only be cool and useful exactly 2% of the time that I actually drove the vehicle, so I put on a skidplate instead.

Triathlete
03/31/2008, 02:42 PM
The rock sliders were made by Ben at Stric9 Fabrication in Tucson, Az. The web site is down but Biju has purchased 2 sets from him and probably would be your best bet for contact info. They are well built.
As for stingers, they are not the same as brush guards. brucs guards are just that...they will push small brush out of the way. Any hard objects will simply bend or destroy it! A stinger will need to be custom fab'd. Any good local fab shop should be able to build what you need. My bumper when built will have a small stinger incorperated into the design. The stinger will help when coming up to tall rock objects. It will give the front end some protection and allow you to push up/over it.

Chopper
03/31/2008, 03:45 PM
I decided that it would only be cool and useful exactly 2% of the time that I actually drove the vehicle, so I put on a skidplate instead. I couldn't have said it better. Like riding around with gasmask and one of his loads, all the time:p

Chopper
03/31/2008, 03:49 PM
I remember talking about this before....they use them to cross ice fields in the north. Allows you to span a crevasse by skidding them. The things they're welding together down here, will turn a 3in. sapling, and skid over a log (we don't have rocks in Fla.)

Triathlete
03/31/2008, 04:54 PM
I decided that it would only be cool and useful exactly 2% of the time that I actually drove the vehicle, so I put on a skidplate instead.

Skid plates are good and are a great enhancement for the $$$$ and will be of the most use, but when that 2% of the time comes the extra protection will be greatly appreciated!:cool:

CoastieCosta567
03/31/2008, 10:14 PM
I live in San Francsico right now, i drove cross counrty and plan to drive cross counrty again this year to my new station, where ever it will be. Plus i love going driving offroading all the time and here in Cali there is alot of rocks, plus i plan to keep this VX as long as God allows it, and i plan to move back to Costa Rica once i do my time in the Coast Guard, so that guard will come really handy but i want the pre-runner bar.

nfpgasmask
04/01/2008, 10:28 AM
I couldn't have said it better. Like riding around with gasmask and one of his loads, all the time:p

:laughing:

Bart

nfpgasmask
04/01/2008, 10:31 AM
I live in San Francsico right now, i drove cross counrty and plan to drive cross counrty again this year to my new station, where ever it will be. Plus i love going driving offroading all the time and here in Cali there is alot of rocks, plus i plan to keep this VX as long as God allows it, and i plan to move back to Costa Rica once i do my time in the Coast Guard, so that guard will come really handy but i want the pre-runner bar.

Sooooooo, since you like driving so much, I think you should be coming to Moab with us!

:) Bart

pbkid
04/01/2008, 11:00 AM
agreed....more vx's :bwgy: