PDA

View Full Version : Home Theater Buffs?

nfpgasmask
04/03/2008, 10:07 AM
Anyone on here knowledgeable about setting up a 5.1 home theater? I have some problems/questions.

Bart

Ascinder
04/03/2008, 10:33 AM
Yeah, shoot.

nfpgasmask
04/03/2008, 10:48 AM
Yeah, shoot.

Well, if its you, you might as well just come over tonight. :) Anyway, here is the issue in a nut shell:

I just moved into the new house, and paid extra during the build process to have a 5.1 surround sound pre-wire installed, and pre-wire for the patio speakers. So, now I am moved in and trying to get my system setup.

Behind my TV, there is a wallplate that reveals a large bundle of wires. I also have a wallplate in the back corner of the room for my sub, with 2 sets of 16/4 speaker wire behind there. Then in the ceiling, I have 4 wall plates covering 1 16/4 speaker wire each. So far, I have successfully toned out the following:

2 sets of 16/4 speaker wires going to wallplate in the corner for the sub box

1 set of 16/4 speaker wire going to front left

1 set of 16/4 speaker wire going to rear left

I am left with front right and rear right. There are 3 wires remaining behind the TV. So far, I have not been able to tone out my right front and right rear wires. It appears as though they must be severed in the ceiling or something. :mad:

Also, I have the patio prewired also. Right now, outside my patio door, there are wires sticking out of the wall. I have not been able to tone these out to anywhere either. There is a control box inside the house next to the patio door that I assume is for a patio volume control, but I cannot figure out where the heck these wires go from there. I thought everything would converge behind the TV, but apparently not. I don't know if I am dealing with a dodgy pre-wire installation or a lack of experience with HT installs.

The toner does not lie. If I cannot get a tone, back behind the TV from the right rear and right front, it means that these wires are fubar, correct? I don't have an attic or crawl space that is accessible in this house. Right above my ceiling in the theater room is the master bedroom, and there is no access. I am thinking of sticking a small camera up there to see if I can find out WTH is going on up there. The other thing, is that when I removed the blank wall plates in the ceiling, all I could do is grab a small loop of wire and (try) to pull it down. All the ceiling mounted wires were EXTRA tough to pull down except one. In fact, it was so tough I could practically hang all 215 pounds of my fat arse from these wires. It is my feeling that the prewire was installed before the drywall, and some hasty drywall installer possibly hammered down sheetrock and trapped/smashed/severed at least 2 of the wires! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Anyway, if you think you have the skillz I need to sort this out, feel free to swing by anytime. I can show you my garage and where your welder can live for a while too!! :rolleyes:

Thanks - Bart

Ascinder
04/03/2008, 11:20 AM
I think you said it best yourself-"the toner doesn't lie". Bottom line is if the signal never makes it, you're toast. I'll drop by tonight, PM me an address and what time and I'll bring the welder too. I'd like to measure the stock bumpstop clearance too.

pbkid
04/03/2008, 11:32 AM
i dont know all that much about home audio, but my only guess would be that either they pinched the wires like you said, or they maybe added a wall fader? so that you could turn certain spots off in your room maybe?

nfpgasmask
04/03/2008, 12:25 PM
I think you said it best yourself-"the toner doesn't lie". Bottom line is if the signal never makes it, you're toast. I'll drop by tonight, PM me an address and what time and I'll bring the welder too. I'd like to measure the stock bumpstop clearance too.

Done.

Bart