04/03/2008, 02:27 PM
Ive been trying to think of something to do for
the plastic hood panel on these things.
I can have something made, in sets of 10 if I come
up with an idea.
We can also do Fiberglass (or Carbon..) Personally I dont
suggest Carbon).
Either way, I had a stock 02 wrx hoodscoop in the shop
so I just set it on my VX. Didnt look bad.
Option 1, find a used Wrx or STi hoodscoop and bolt
it on to your stock hood psc etc OR
Option 2 is what I may plan on doing. Pick a scoop most
people can live with. I can send my hoodpanel and scoop
to my manufacturer in Ca, they can bond the scoop on
there and actually make a new mold of the whole panel
with the scoop in it. So its one pcs. Paintable fiberlgass.
Anyone interested, lmk
thanks
Dayle

1CROSS
04/03/2008, 03:07 PM
Too bad we couldn't get them made out of a heavy metal.It would probably be hard to do being the inserts are curved to the contour of the rest of the hood instead of being flat.Just a thought though.

Pepino
04/03/2008, 03:27 PM
i bought a universla hood scoop on ebay for just 7 dollars and i really like who it looks check it on my gallery, i would love if it could be bonded and everything

Chopper
04/03/2008, 03:33 PM
See....now you're thinking. Glass is so heavy....that hood is already too weighty. Aluminum would be so nice. Look at the front hard. You can visualize the airflow (at least I can;)) A WRX scoop is only gonna work, if it's at least six or seven inches forward of it's usual position. Looks kinda weird. The ducts works better, but don't look a dramatic, a big plus is, they can be turned to work as extractors as well. Carbon is fine, you just gotta paint it ( unless you are GM, and can afford the 2000 a gallon for the special clear used on the ZR1 carbon) Someone did carbon fiber inserts a while back, with and without WRX scoop. It was pretty much a mixed ending, but the ones I saw, looked good on my computer screen. Those molds already exist out there somewhere.

JoFotoz
04/03/2008, 03:35 PM
With the right scoop...I'd be interested in a Carbon one.

If you get your people to make a mold ,..
....then f/glass OR carbon should be ok.

..as long as they are good with carbon!

Carbon can be lightly wet&dry sanded every few years and re-finished ...if this is the issue you had with carbon????

jo

Chopper
04/03/2008, 03:53 PM
Yeah, it yellows real quick in UV. You could always keep it in the garage during the day, and only drive it at nite. That's why European carbon is painted.

Vehi-Cross-Az
04/03/2008, 05:46 PM
not ever suggest CF either...unless it was
just for weight. In a yr or so it just yellows and
looks like doo doo.
Metal...heavy, true
unless it was aluminum, but then would need to be
painted.
Thought fiberglass would be the best idea.

Ldub
04/03/2008, 07:27 PM
Yeah, it yellows real quick in UV. You could always keep it in the garage during the day, and only drive it at nite. That's why European carbon is painted.

Don't they have some UV stabilized resins available as of the last year or two?
Or is this just hype I've been seeing while researching different epoxy & poly resins?

VCrossfan
04/03/2008, 07:49 PM
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/100_2223.JPG (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=9168)

Vehi-Cross-Az
04/03/2008, 09:47 PM
Or is this just hype I've been seeing while researching different epoxy & poly resins?

Mostly Hype from what Ive found
and false promises to keep un suspecting potential buyers
not buying more product.

That pic just posted, is pretty much what I had in mind for
a new pcs. Something glass and paintable a nice semi flat
black or dk grey.

Vehi-Cross-Az
04/03/2008, 09:50 PM
Too bad we couldn't get them made out of a heavy metal.It would probably be hard to do being the inserts are curved to the contour of the rest of the hood instead of being flat.Just a thought though.

We could out of Diamond Plate :)
then paint it so theres no glare :smilewink

tom4bren
04/04/2008, 07:15 AM
When you get the guy to fab the mold, don't forget to have him lose the mold lines on the underside. They are the weak spot that causes our inserts to crack.

WormGod
04/04/2008, 07:29 AM
Go with the '04'-'05 STi hood scoop if you want functionality.

http://www.flatironstuning.com/shop/images/Product/icon/1037.jpg

Not the prettiest, but it got the job done for Subaru. I imagibne it would be a huge eye sore on our hood though. I would need to see a mock-up to be a believer.

Navigator
04/04/2008, 08:57 AM
Looks great, no more issues with fading or cracking. My VX looks better than new. They used a fine mix of Line-x, it has an icy sparkle to it if viewed from different angles. I'll add some pics if anyone interested. Line-X shops are all over the country so you can get yours done cheap $60 or less from a shop near you. The hood insert is easy to remove, all you need is a 10mm wrench and a few minutes to do it.

MashyMan
04/04/2008, 08:59 AM
I've always thought a double scoop would look cool (nostrils). Based loosely on what you'd see on a late model firebird w/ WS6 ram air. This would stay in the spirit of the styling theme on the rest of the front end. Most scoops look like a cheap bolt-on after thought anyway. Might as well custom fab one out of foam and lay glass on that...take advantage of the large surface area of the insert.

JHarris1385
04/04/2008, 09:40 AM
I would be interested in one that is functional, and one that would not cover up the IRONMAN decal.

Chopper
04/04/2008, 05:08 PM
Or is this just hype I've been seeing while researching different epoxy & poly resins? It's a GM product...20,000 a gallon!!(or was it 60,000) The clear costs 2,000 a gallon by the time they shoot it. Developed for the ZR1 project.

cyronman
04/04/2008, 05:55 PM
inter-ested!

Ldub
04/04/2008, 06:19 PM
It's a GM product...20,000 a gallon!!(or was it 60,000) The clear costs 2,000 a gallon by the time they shoot it. Developed for the ZR1 project.

:rolleyesg...Dollar$?, or yen???:sighwgray

Chopper
04/04/2008, 06:23 PM
Honest-to-god U.S. greenbacks, buddy. A BASF product I beleive.

WyrreJ
04/04/2008, 06:55 PM
I've always thought a double scoop would look cool (nostrils). Based loosely on what you'd see on a late model firebird w/ WS6 ram air. This would stay in the spirit of the styling theme on the rest of the front end. Most scoops look like a cheap bolt-on after thought anyway. Might as well custom fab one out of foam and lay glass on that...take advantage of the large surface area of the insert.

+1

Ldub
04/04/2008, 06:58 PM
Honest-to-god U.S. greenbacks, buddy. A BASF product I beleive.

Yoiks!!!:sighwgray