PDA

View Full Version : Oil in spark plug well

ojmagg
04/10/2008, 06:58 PM
I changed my spark plugs this evening, I noticed some oil in a few of the sparkplug wells...I noticed the engine misfiring a bit on a test run to my buddies house...do I just need to change the well gaskets under the valve covers, or is there more to this job? Should I take it to my mechanic to be safe?

rowhard
04/10/2008, 07:45 PM
So was the oil sitting on top of the valve covers, on top of the spark plug boots, 'on the right hand bank?? maybe some one before you was sloppy when pouring some oil in it

ojmagg
04/10/2008, 07:51 PM
I wish...the oil was below the threads...

rowhard
04/10/2008, 07:58 PM
my friend, I wish it had been that easy. I wish you had been a computer nerd and didn't know the difference between a spark plug and a gas cap. Maybe you are on the verge of serious problems, maybe it will be a simple fix, either way, I will stay tuned just in case I ever have this problem. Good luck mate

ojmagg
04/11/2008, 05:02 AM
I am a computer nerd...system admin..!

Well, since the VX was running smooth before I changed the plugs...I'm hoping that this condition was caused by too much anti-size compound on the spark plug threads (it doesn't start to misfire untill the engine get hot)...I'll clean it up this weekend and let you know..

Ldub
04/11/2008, 06:33 AM
Just throwin' it out there as a possibility(on the misfire issue)...maybe a cracked insulator on one of the plugs???
My guess would drivers side/rear.

CoastieCosta567
04/11/2008, 06:42 AM
If i was you i would take it to a mech, trust me, it's worth it.

ojmagg
04/24/2008, 11:47 AM
I have not had any more miss-fires from my engine...I believe that this condition was caused by too much anti-sieze on the plug threads...

I have gone from abt 12 mpg to 16 by changing plugs...I changed out the origionals with Iridium Power #IK16's...had abt 70k on the orig plugs...