PDA

View Full Version : weather tech worries

VCross007
04/18/2008, 01:00 PM
ok so i bought the weather tech window shades and installed them. the only bad thing i noticed is at the top of the window, the window actually makes contact with the shade and kind of rubs against it at the very top. is this normal? I just want to make sure so it doesnt cause a problem with the window motors/regulators cuz it makes the window move slightly at the top as well. Any thoughts? if it's installed wrong... I want to know asap so I can correct the problem. I followed the instructions and put them in and they fit nice. any thoughts??

nfpgasmask
04/18/2008, 03:25 PM
I think its ok. Mine are like that, been installed for nearly 2 years now with no issue.

Bart

Ldub
04/18/2008, 06:26 PM
I think its ok. Mine are like that, been installed for nearly 2 years now with no issue.

Bart

Same, same...:_wrench:

Joe Isuzu
04/18/2008, 06:37 PM
yes, I was a little disappointed with mine as well b/c the little cutout on the passenger side didn't line up all that great with that hard plastic on the weatherstripping (top part of window opening). It was good, but for all the bragging they do about their products being custom made for vehicles, I was surprised. All in all, it wasn't worth returning for that.

VCross007
04/18/2008, 09:12 PM
well i talked to etlesport, eric, and he told me to leave my windows up for about 2 days, and that the problem would go away. im assuming that something gets stretched out or "molded" so that i wont have that issue. Has anyone tried this? also, there's a green vehicross in my area, peoria/glendale arizona, does anyone know who he is? i saw him going southbound on the 101 today. thanks guys for all your help so far

Joe Isuzu
04/19/2008, 06:28 PM
I will tell you I had much more of an issue with the wind deflectors when I first got them as it was in winter. My passenger side window barely went up at all, so I know there was a lot of pressure the deflector was putting on it. However, things have gotten better since then.

Chopper
04/19/2008, 06:41 PM
Been in the window channels for six years now....no issues.

VCross007
04/23/2008, 03:58 PM
well i took them out, but what should i do? my driver's side kinks forward and misaligns with the top now a bit cuz of the deflector, but should i just keep the deflector in with the windows up for a few days? what needs to be done?

nfpgasmask
04/23/2008, 04:08 PM
well i took them out, but what should i do? my driver's side kinks forward and misaligns with the top now a bit cuz of the deflector, but should i just keep the deflector in with the windows up for a few days? what needs to be done?

That's wierd. I noticed no ill effects with mine from day one. And the little nubs always lined up perfectly. It just makes me wonder a little, are you guys sure you are putting them in correctly? I mean, IIRC there is only one way they would go in anyhow, but???

Bart

Ldub
04/23/2008, 04:12 PM

Look for SBC's window fix thread, order his kit, install it.

Also, have you lubed your window channels???

Joe Isuzu
04/23/2008, 04:22 PM
That's wierd. I noticed no ill effects with mine from day one. And the little nubs always lined up perfectly. It just makes me wonder a little, are you guys sure you are putting them in correctly? I mean, IIRC there is only one way they would go in anyhow, but???

Bart

I understand what you're saying Bart, but I R&I'd mine when I realized that the driver's side fit fine and the passenger side nub was off a little. I did not want to fool with sending them back to the weathertech and taking the chance of having the same problem when the replacement set came in. I did the install correct as far as I can tell. There's very little play so you can't really adjust them once they're in.

VCross007
04/23/2008, 11:44 PM
Well im still new to the vx, and the only thing i've taken apart is the dash to put my new headunit in. I looked at the instructions for taking the door off and it seems extensive. So I have not lubed the channels. The window will kink forward a bit then push back into place when its closing at the top. As far as I know I did install them correctly, looks like there's only way way to anyway. thoughts?

Joe Isuzu
04/24/2008, 10:41 AM
with respect to lubing the channels, I don't bother R&I'ing the trim panel, I simply spray in between the glass and the run channel both fore and aft of the front windows (when the windows are down obviously)
worked for me so far

Solitude
04/24/2008, 11:35 AM
Well im still new to the vx, and the only thing i've taken apart is the dash to put my new headunit in. I looked at the instructions for taking the door off and it seems extensive. So I have not lubed the channels. The window will kink forward a bit then push back into place when its closing at the top. As far as I know I did install them correctly, looks like there's only way way to anyway. thoughts?

Maybe we can do a trade.. I'll take your door apart if you show me how to take my radio out and install a new one..

VCross007
04/25/2008, 11:03 PM
yea for sure. i didnt install a fancy head unit, just a regular cd/mp3 player but yea. message me on msn, my name is ramairgod@hotmail.com

blacksambo
04/29/2008, 08:19 AM
Just installed weathertech on my wife's '99. Had the same difficulties you guys are experiencing. Called weathertech they said install the ill fitting passenger side one with the window down about 2 inches, then roll it up and leave it for two days. It still did not really go all the way up, so I pulled the unit out a tad and retried the window and it rolled up all the way and been working fine since. Yes, I use alot of spray silicone on my channels, though. Also, it only takes about five minutes to remove the door pannel. Just follow the service manual instructions. The manual is on Tone Monday's site if you don't have one.

tom4bren
04/29/2008, 08:41 AM
This thread makes me glad I don't like rain guards. I guess I could get used to them but I find the distraction in my periferal (sp?) vision to be irritating. IMHO.

etlsport
04/29/2008, 08:44 AM
This thread makes me glad I don't like rain guards. I guess I could get used to them but I find the distraction in my periferal (sp?) vision to be irritating. IMHO.

yea tom i know what u mean, when i first installed mine i kept seeing weird reflections out of the corner of my eye in them, but now im used to it and dont even notice them

brandon, did you get them working properly yet?

VCross007
05/02/2008, 07:49 PM
no i havent, but i dont normally leave my windows up for two days. i tried reinstalling them but to no avail. maybe ill try leaving the windows up this weekend but after that then im calling weather tech to return them