PDA

View Full Version : No sound with new stereo?

Thmstec
04/18/2008, 05:35 PM
So today I tested out a new stereo in my VX and I ran into a problem-- no sound. The new stereo is a pioneer avic-d3. I got the wiring harness from crutchfield. Everything except the sound seemed to be working. What I am able figure out is that the pins on the harness aren't quite matching up. From what I could tell the black ground wire's pin from the wiring harness was going into a blank slot on the VX's plug. So if I'm not mistaken that is my problem. Although I wouldn't have expected it to work at all without a ground:confused: I was wondering if anyone else with an aftermarket stereo has run into the same problem? Did crutchfield send me the wrong harness, or do I need to 'customize' the harness?

As far as the mounting of the double din unit. That is a work in progress-- I'll make a post with some pics when its more presentable. Maybe I'll put up a how to if anyone else likes my....unique placement.

rowhard
04/18/2008, 05:39 PM
sounds like the harness provided by Crutchfields is suspect. Not saying it's bad, saying it is wrong.

Gussie2000
04/18/2008, 08:04 PM
Yes,crutchfield seems that they do sent you the wrong adaptor

The right adaptor is made by metra & the part number is 70-7712.

I don't know how much you paid for but i got mines on ebay.com for just $ 2.99 + shipping ( $ 1.55) & it worked perfectly ;)

mdwyer
04/20/2008, 12:44 PM
I've had issues with the Crutchfield harnes. The ground wire isn't actually hooked up to anything. The stock stereo gets its ground through the frame.

Interesting side effect: the radio will only work if it is actually INSTALLED. While it is hanging out of the dash, I got no power at all.

I'd check that, first. Although I didn't get ANY power and it sounds like you are...

Thmstec
04/20/2008, 01:21 PM
well just got off the phone with a crutchfield support-- he reconfirmed what you said mdwyer. So when it stops raining outside I'll just ground it to the chassis. And give it another go.

lunaticharness
08/15/2008, 02:08 PM
i too have fallen victim to the crutchfield wire harness!

i had finally installed polk db 6.5's in the back panels, polk momo component speakers in the doors, a polk db 10 sub in the back with a rockford fosgate 450.4 and a kenwood excelon x492 only to have it not work, pulled off the instrument panels and pulled the cd player out and compared the harness i was plugging into the harness in the dash

i found multiple pins on the crutchfield harness to be incorrect, used the wiring diagrams from the vehicross.pdf and by process of elimination fixed the problem!

Knigh7s
08/15/2008, 04:12 PM
I have a crutchfield wire harness and have had no problems with my install...

But if I were you, I would just ground the head unit straight from the pioneer harness ground wire to the chassis instead of through the wire harness.

BTW how do you like the pioneer avic-d3? My entire system in the VX is all Pioneer... Except for the head unit, at the time of purchase, I didn't have enough for the pioneer unit i wanted...

Riff Raff
08/16/2008, 05:57 AM
Hi Gang: I'm a big fan of Crutchfield. They are always at the cutting edge and their customer support is second to none. I really wanted the new Pioneer AVIC-N4 DVD/Navigation with 7" flip-out display that fits the OEM in-dash opening of the VX, and to also install a rear camera. What stopped me was the new Pioneer (along with all other brands including Kenwood) WILL NOT operate/function the Isuzu OEM 6-Disc CD changer/player. Only the OEM factory in-dash head unit will operate/function the OEM 6-Disc CD player. So, if you go after-market, then your Isuzu OEM 6-Disc CD changer becomes a paper weight. Just so you know.

So-CalVX
08/16/2008, 10:09 AM
Most changers are paperweights already... Mine took a dump four - five months ago and I haven't had the cash to do anything about it...
I'm sure u will here the same from everyone, go ahead with that flip-navi head unit and take out the changer while ur in there... Just so u don't have to deal with it later

Ldub
08/16/2008, 10:12 AM
Most changers are paperweights already... Mine took a dump four - five months ago and I haven't had the cash to do anything about it...
I'm sure u will here the same from everyone, go ahead with that flip-navi head unit and take out the changer while ur in there... Just so u don't have to deal with it later

Yep, makes a great place for a cubby hole...either aftermarket, or from a Rodeo or maybr Trooper...:thumbup:

etlsport
08/16/2008, 10:14 AM
i put a screenless head unit/dvd player in the lower slot and a dedicated screen in the upper slot.. :thumbup: