PDA

View Full Version : need help and advice Transmission rebuild

DLNTHO
04/30/2008, 08:15 AM
need some advice .......only 39000 miles after change transmission fluid the when the car stop and accelerating ....the 1ST to 2ND gear I feel the car slips and fall back(hesitates) and clunk sound .I goto five auto shop they said need the transmission rebuild and one of the shop AAMCO need get the transmission out (cost $600) then depend the fix cost of the transmission(can credit back if fix the transmission). AAMCO said my transmission fluid has burn or the CLUTCH need to fix....another one need $2100 don't said any thing (only need rebuild the transmission)....I need some advice before goto the the auto shop (just change the transmission fluid 3 days ago and the fluid level ok ...don't have any engine light ,oil light or any light on etc....

Zorak
04/30/2008, 08:24 AM
Your problem could just be a bad transmission mode switch, a common failure on the VX. There are quite a few threads on this topic which a search would turn up, like this one:

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=12192&highlight=transmission+mode

I would absolutely stay away from AAMCO:eek: regardless of what the problem turns out to be!

Solitude
04/30/2008, 08:25 AM
are you the original owner? if so..try the dealership

DLNTHO
04/30/2008, 08:53 AM
:bgwo:Thanks Zorak do u have the part # transmission mode switch and the St. Charles Isuzu phone.

(Solitude)Yes I 'm the original owner

Solitude
04/30/2008, 08:55 AM
well if its the tranny.. it might be covered under the 10/120 warenty.. mine was

DLNTHO
04/30/2008, 08:59 AM
(Solitude) I believe I out of warranty (99 vehicross):(

Solitude
04/30/2008, 11:32 AM
Yes.. I researched it on Isuzu.com and 99's hat a 6/60.. oops!

well hopefully its that mode thingy the others are talking about.. I will back out and watch.. good luck!

Jeff

Zorak
04/30/2008, 02:52 PM
Part # is 8960175110. isuzuparts.com calls it a neutral safety switch and lists it for $158.82 + shipping

Merlin: http://isuzu.stcharlesauto.com/Department-Parts.aspx

DLNTHO
05/01/2008, 11:38 AM
(Zorak) Thanks You :bwgy:

DLNTHO
05/01/2008, 11:51 AM
(Zorak) If not the neutral safety switch problem ....what do you thing ??? any scanner can find the problem? what do u can suggest :rolleyes:

Zorak
05/01/2008, 02:27 PM
(Zorak) If not the neutral safety switch problem ....what do you thing ??? any scanner can find the problem? what do u can suggest :rolleyes:

You might try doing a search under "transmission slipping" or something similar and see whether anyone else here had similar problems with their tranny that turned out not to be the mode selector swtich. I don't think this will throw a code so not sure a scanner would reveal anything, but I could be wrong.

The other apparent indicator of a mode selector switch fault is that when you get the clunk, the gear indicator light on the instrument panel does not indicate the correct gear: either it is out altogether or shows a gear other than the one you are in. If you notice this happening then the mode selector switch is probably the culprit :)

Good luck. Anyone else want to chime in here, feel free.

etlsport
05/02/2008, 03:28 AM
you covered it pretty well zorak.. if you had it into a shop already i assume they checked the fluid level.. but it cant hurt to check it again, a few members have had slipping caused by low fluid level

my first guess would be the mode selector switch, the flickering/incorrect gear indicator on the gauges is another symptom of it going bad, but it does not always happen so even if you dont have that symptom, still start with the selector switch

DLNTHO
05/20/2008, 08:25 AM
(etlsport) Thanks of the advice :bwgy:

(Zorak) Thanks ...I already installed neutral safety switch and I take the road test (stop the car and accelerating I feel the first gear (only) slips (hesitates)) but not the all time. What do u thing I need to do... change the transmission filter or change transmission fluid . If I want to check the transmission fluid and how to tell the fluid level is good.:confused::bwgy:

Greasemonkey
05/20/2008, 12:52 PM
Hi i have read that if you have an auto start alarm it can have an effect on the autobox changing up - sure i read it in the isuzu manaul or somewhere
cheers
Steve

DLNTHO
05/20/2008, 08:36 PM
(Greasemonkey) Thanks Yes I had a auto starter and I driver only 39000 mile before everything run smoothly .....only I change the transmission fluid than the gears slips (hesitates) .Now installed the new neutral safety switch and the problem is 1st gears slips (hesitates) only the car stop and accelerating , do u thing I need to change transmission filter or change transmission fluid :confused:

VehiGAZ
05/21/2008, 07:30 AM
DLNTHO - After changing the tansmission fluid, did you run the shifter through all the gears before your final top-off of the fluid?

I remember reading here several times that if you refill the transmission fluid you need to cycle it through the gears and then add some more fluid, otherwise you won't add enough. If you didn't do this, then maybe you don't have enough fluid in there.

Good luck!

DLNTHO
05/21/2008, 07:38 AM
(VehiGAZ) Thanks :bgwo: I will add some more fluid :p

Ldub
05/21/2008, 07:58 AM
(VehiGAZ) Thanks :bgwo: I will add some more fluid :p

Here it is again............................................. ...:rolleyesg...:_wrench:

Hope it clears up some of the mystery for you.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/fluid1.png

rowhard
05/21/2008, 08:05 AM
Not saying it's your problem, but it might of lead to it:

from workshop manual:

Changing Transmission Fluid
There is no need to change the transmission fluid unless
the transmission is used under one or more of the
following heavy duty conditions.
A. Repeated short trips
B. Driving on rough roads
C. Driving on dusty roads
D. Towing a trailer
If the vehicle is used under these conditions, change the
fluid every 20,000 miles (32,000 km.)

DLNTHO
05/21/2008, 02:13 PM
rowhard (Thanks)
Ldub (Thanks) any best way to pump the Transmission Fluid ,today I went to Autozone and the saleman told add some LUCAS fluid in transmission for slips protection ? I want to know did any one use this fluid before??:confused:
http://www.lucasoil.com

DLNTHO
05/22/2008, 08:38 PM
:pThanks for everyone help and I have more question ??? now my transmission had slipping and what do u guy thing is the transmission harness wire fail???solenoid or ASM cable:confused: also is have any kind of the scanner can scan and point out the transmission problem.

MMOROLEON
07/30/2010, 01:01 PM
My Vehicross Star To Have Hard Shift In 2 Gear And The Transmission Light Turns On... But When I Tunr Off The Car The Light Turns Off And The Car Shift Ok, But The Like 10 Minutes Later Is The Same The Light Turns On And I Have The Hard Shift..... Maybe I Have Overheating Transmission Problem, What You Gays Tink....

MMOROLEON
07/30/2010, 02:29 PM
My Vehicross Star To Have Hard Shift In 2 Gear And The Transmission Light Turns On... But When I Tunr Off The Car The Light Turns Off And The Car Shift Ok, But The Like 10 Minutes Later Is The Same The Light Turns On And I Have The Hard Shift..... Maybe I Have Overheating Transmission Problem, What You Gays Tink....

Marlin
07/30/2010, 03:51 PM

Ummm, I am not one of the gays, but I would say you need to do tranny maintenance, and perhaps not capitalize every word. Sounds like your tranny fluid may be low, or filter is bad. If you have it serviced, print out the refill procedure from the VX maintenance tech manual and make them follow it. Otherwise, a few thousand miles later you will start having sliupping and whatnot.