PDA

View Full Version : Anuther one(Of Mine) bites the dust?????

Bieredalsace
05/05/2008, 12:32 PM
Last time I wrote in here "crying in my beer" I blew an engine in my 99 Ironman on the Thruway. So now AGAIN I'm writihg in "crying etc" about a nuther Thruway breakdown. Maybe I should stay the h... away from the Thruway!!!!
This time all was going well and all of a sudden power to the tranny was lost while heading uphill to the Thruway entrance. Engine was running fine but it was as if I had thrown it into Neutral ! The engine was still but power was not going to the Tranny. After I pulled over and tried to restart the engine the battery was almost dead and there was no sound such as the starter gear engaging the flywheel.
The tow truck driver said he didnot see any puddle of fluid on the road such as the torque converter giving out. But he may have a vision problem too. I didnt see anything obvious.
It's probably a "curse" as I was just ready to write into the club and brag about the Proton Yellow 2001 I just bought !
Pleasse someone come up wih something simple !
Thanks Guys !!

Triathlete
05/05/2008, 12:39 PM
I had the same thing happed on an old Mustang that I had. On that one it was the flywheel that broke in a circle around the bolt pattern. Funny thing was the shop had trouble diagnosing it since the flywheel remained in place and when they removed the starter everything "appeared" normal.

JoFotoz
05/05/2008, 12:55 PM
Had the same problem with my Early Bronco...thought I'd blown the tranny(Reminded me of breaking a chain on my M/bike years ago..same feeling!)

Turns out...the high - low shift on the Bronco had slid into neutral.
Took me days to figure it :confused:

I havent look at my VX hi-low shift to see if it can happen ( its in the muffler shop as we speak)...

...but Im wondering if this could be your problem?

jo

Triathlete
05/05/2008, 01:01 PM
Nope, no nuetral on the VX. Only 4hi (TOD) and 4lo.

JoFotoz
05/05/2008, 01:19 PM
On the Bronco there is no real "neutral' either....hence it was hard to figure out.

The shifter had 'jumped/slipped' a little ...
...and had found a "neutral spot" between hi & low.

Maybe this cant happen on the VX...

jo

Anita
05/05/2008, 01:58 PM
Sounds like something electrical perhaps??

etlsport
05/05/2008, 03:46 PM
the vx definitely can get stuck between hi and lo.. had it happen to me before leaving a parking garage, i got there late so had to leave my keys and let valet park it :( my shifters both look the same now, so i guess the guy had trouble figuring out how to get it into gear, anyway when i left i got down fine just coasting then as i tried to leave i just revved and revved.. then looked down and saw that the 4wd lever looked funny, pulled down on it and presto.. loud CLUNK and it started to move

CoastieCosta567
05/05/2008, 05:43 PM
i had the same issue with my 01 isuzu rodeo sport/amigo, but in my case it was 2wd and there was fluid that came out and the news was that the tranny died. the wird thing was that it actually stilled moved when u left it in drive and it drove only 5 miles an hour, just enough to ove out of traffic and find a place to get a tow truck. i hope this is not your case, keep us posted.

VehiGAZ
05/06/2008, 08:14 AM
Read the whole post, kids - the engine won't start, so it's not so simple as not having the lever engaged. He's got serious problems. Sounds like the tranny could have fallen apart.