PDA

View Full Version : May have to give up the VX

Francesco Rizzo
05/11/2008, 04:32 PM
:mad:
I just bought a 2006 Scion Xa to conserve gas and use a a primary commuter car to and from work.. I had plans for the vx to lift and throw some fat tires on.. but seems something went wrong with the insurance.. I'm searching around but allstate has double my premium with both cars, when they made it seems as though it would only be like 75 bucks more to keep the vehicross as a "pleasure/weekend" vehicle. Anyway, I amd now paying double my insurance but can not afford that. I can't keep both cars with this insurance rate and am shopping around, but think my vx days are done.

Solitude
05/11/2008, 04:59 PM
:mad:
I just bought a 2006 Scion Xa to conserve gas and use a a primary commuter car to and from work.. I had plans for the vx to lift and throw some fat tires on.. but seems something went wrong with the insurance.. I'm searching around but allstate has double my premium with both cars, when they made it seems as though it would only be like 75 bucks more to keep the vehicross as a "pleasure/weekend" vehicle. Anyway, I amd now paying double my insurance but can not afford that. I can't keep both cars with this insurance rate and am shopping around, but think my vx days are done.

Try progressive.. tell them you will put less then 4000 miles on it in a year..

it helped me

VehiGAZ
05/12/2008, 07:30 AM
If you have a garage space for it, you can also switch it to "collector car" insurance, which carries some use restrictions (like mileage) but can cut the insurance down to a couple hundred dollars.

I'm looking at a fuel-efficient commuter car option myself, and the savings in gas will pay for full insurance. I'll try to reduce the insurance on the VX, as it will turn into an exclusively heavy-loads/going-to-the-dump/camping/skiing vehicle.

JHarris1385
05/12/2008, 08:55 AM
I have the VX on 12,000+ miles plus per year, an 2002 explorer 12,000+ and a 1999 Firebird 4000 miles a year for $120 month through Gieco. I am 23 so my insurance should be higher than yours as well.

Francesco Rizzo
05/12/2008, 03:32 PM
was paying 546 for six months here in orlando with coverage better than required by the state. I had that go to a rate of 1075 with the 2006 xa and reduced coverage on the vx which is crap since I expected 870 for both with good coverage. I still have my school loans and the 870 was already pushing the limits. Anyway, I started clearing everything out of the vx to bring the interior/stereo as much back to stock as possible this way I can keep my toys that most people don't want anyway.. As soon as it's cleaned up pretty good I'm going to list it on craigslist and post something here.. :(

Dare2Dream
05/12/2008, 04:06 PM
Shopping around the last few years, I've always found Mercury insurance and 21st century (AIG now) to be the cheapest. This year, tried farmers with renters insurance to get group insurance and it is cheaper (for both) than everyone else.

You can get quotes for 21st century and progressive online in 15 minutes. Put the VX down as 'Pleasure' while the other car as daily driver to school/work. Also using a higher deductable helps (I have $1000 for comprehensive).

Gussie2000
05/12/2008, 05:02 PM
Oh yes,you deffinetly gotta try 21st century insurance;I pay $ 880 for six months full coverage with $ 500 deductable,but my rate went up after having i low cost-to-repair collision with a honda civic 1999,before that i was paying about $ 660 for the same period of time.

Dare2Dream
05/14/2008, 11:04 AM
It is also worth checking insurance.com, they provide a comparison of different companies like Liberty Mutual, Esurance, etc. I found out that Liberty Mutual was just about as good as Farmers for me, so I may jump ship next time around.

LittleBeast
05/14/2008, 01:59 PM
Wow, I am 27 and because my dad has so many cars insured on his plan I just elected to stay on his plan, it works out the best for everyone. I am paying $207/month for full coverage on the VX and the RX-8 (in Houston). $104/month per car. If I were on my own plan (not on my dad's plan) it would be $300 a month. We are with Geico and have 7 cars insured on my dad's plan now (big family).

Dare2Dream
05/14/2008, 04:12 PM
Wow, I am 27 and because my dad has so many cars insured on his plan I just elected to stay on his plan, it works out the best for everyone. I am paying $207/month for full coverage on the VX and the RX-8 (in Houston). $104/month per car. If I were on my own plan (not on my dad's plan) it would be $300 a month. We are with Geico and have 7 cars insured on my dad's plan now (big family).

Have you checked 21st Century, Mercury, Farmers and Liberty Mutual. If not, check each of them for comparison. All four have been lower than Geico for me.

Francesco Rizzo
05/17/2008, 07:13 AM
After some shopping around I found progressive to be by far the cheapest, also had a $50 discount for first 6 months when you buy through website. I actually would save 100 bucks keeping both vehicles over the one car at allstate.. WOW! Maybe I can keep my VX now