PDA

View Full Version : Any new air intakes?

wfjfg
06/22/2003, 02:22 PM
So, I have the PV2 sitting in the garage, trying to gain enough courage to have it installed. Mixed feelings right now because although I would like the increased power, the noise may get me thrown out of my neighbothood. In any event, I am starting to search for air intake options. Anybody find anything interesting? Looking at the K&N drop in, and removing the restrictive airbox elbow, but would like something a little more custom if I can find it.

RobVX
06/22/2003, 06:33 PM
Accel "Kool Blue" also makes a drop in air filter, just ordered mine. Both K&N and Kool Blue also make cone type filters that will work. Elbow removal is a free and easy modification. That alone gets you a little more growl.

Put the PV on, man!!! How you gonna get the power without the growl????

paultvx
06/23/2003, 01:39 AM
According to the PV thread, I guess it does mellow out with use. Removing elbows won't really get you much power increase... neither will a cone filter. A naturally aspirated engine is essentially a mechanical air pump. It can only suck in as much air as it can displace. You're likely to gain more with a free flowing exhaust than an intake. Once you have forced induction... then it's a different story.

So, I guess what I am saying is... damn the neighbors. It's not like you use your neighborhood streets as drag strips. If it's anything like what people have reported (and all the stainless steel aftermarket exhausts I've owned in the past on previous rides), at normal cruising speed of 35 mph or so, the PV shouldn't be too lound.

Also... from another thread, I guess the size of the tip (diameter) has a lot to do with the sound level. The stock tip at 3" tends to act as a megaphone.

If you're still interested in doing intake mods... unless something comes up to take away time, I think I may begin my first attempt at making a hand-laid carbon fiber intake tube and a intake heat shield next week. The tube would take a cone filter while the heat shield would act essentially as an airbox around the filter. Again, not likely to gain much power with this as long as the engine is in NA form... 3-5 hp at best. Intake sound would definitely be louder though.

wfjfg
06/29/2003, 09:00 AM
Paul, I am interested in your intake, when you make it available. Please post pictures and cost when you have them. If you decide against this, I plan to go with the K&N drop in.

Thanks