PDA

View Full Version : Vx overheating at traffic lights

tbp30305
05/14/2008, 12:43 PM
My Vx is is fine when i'm moving,but when I hit traffic ,or a row of stop lights,the temp needle starts to go in to the red zone. When I'm rolling again it goes back down fairly quickley. Water res.is up to the full line-where should I look next?-Thanks Tom

kodiak
05/14/2008, 12:50 PM
My Vx is is fine when i'm moving,but when I hit traffic ,or a row of stop lights,the temp needle starts to go in to the red zone. When I'm rolling again it goes back down fairly quickley. Water res.is up to the full line-where should I look next?-Thanks Tom

Sounds like a bad fan clutch to me.

tbp30305
05/14/2008, 01:03 PM
The fan is turning at idle speed,does that make a difference?Thanks,by the way for the quick response-the people on this forum are the best!

kodiak
05/14/2008, 01:12 PM
The fan is turning at idle speed,does that make a difference?Thanks,by the way for the quick response-the people on this forum are the best!

The fan will still spin just not enough with a bad clutch. Luckily it’s a cheep fix.

Triathlete
05/14/2008, 01:53 PM
Also might want to check and see if the aux. fan is kicking in. Are you running the AC? Has your cooling system been flushed recently? Have you checked the radiator fins for blockage...bugs, leaves, etc.? In the past VXer's have had overheating problem due to the fins being clogged with bugs...and it is that time of year when bugs are excessive.

tbp30305
05/14/2008, 02:30 PM
Runs hot with or without AC. No bugs or leaves.Should the Aux fan come on if I turn the key to Aux and the car is hot? I tried that and nothing came on -Tom

etlsport
05/14/2008, 04:26 PM
the aux fan really only runs with the AC on, and its still intermittent then too.. i used to overheat sitting in philly traffic, so i installed a 10" fan on the open area on the front of the radiator controlled by a switch inside, that did nicely, then i replaced my fan clutch because it started making a very very loud WOOOOSSH sound like a mack truck.. havent needed to use the second fan since, i paid 10 bucks for my new fan clutch/fan assembly (they come together) from a parts vx

jacobus
05/14/2008, 05:22 PM
Have you checked the thermostat ???

Deigo
05/14/2008, 10:31 PM
Also might want to check and see if the aux. fan is kicking in. Are you running the AC? Has your cooling system been flushed recently? Have you checked the radiator fins for blockage...bugs, leaves, etc.? In the past VXer's have had overheating problem due to the fins being clogged with bugs...and it is that time of year when bugs are excessive.

how about mud ? just cracked mine because it got a little too caked after some mudding:bwgr:

Greasemonkey
05/15/2008, 10:54 AM
Hi the engine driven fan can be checked the following way - when the engine is cold it will spin with a gentle push - however after a good run and with the engine hot it will not spin at all and has to be pushed very hard to move it at all-- while i am on the subject has anyone fitted an electric cooling fan to the inside at all - i was just intersted to find out if it can cool as good as the viscious unit ?
cheers
Steve

tom4bren
05/15/2008, 01:59 PM
Zeus was going to do that conversion but don't know if he ever did. Check with him

etlsport
05/15/2008, 02:08 PM
i think orion did it from a dodge caravan and a new thermostat

Y33TREKker
05/15/2008, 02:11 PM
Have you made a simple check of the coolant level in the radiator itself? If the level isn't high enough in the radiator, there may not be any fluid exchange occuring between the radiator and the reservoir, so the level in the reservoir would be staying the same.

don moore
05/16/2008, 07:36 AM
Hi the engine driven fan can be checked the following way - when the engine is cold it will spin with a gentle push - however after a good run and with the engine hot it will not spin at all and has to be pushed very hard to move it at all-- while i am on the subject has anyone fitted an electric cooling fan to the inside at all - i was just intersted to find out if it can cool as good as the viscious unit ?
cheers
Steve

Just make sure the Motor is shut off before checking the fan....:smilegray

uncle_asa
05/16/2008, 08:44 AM
Here is checklist:
1) Coolant level in the radiator
2) Cleaness of radiator from the engine side (mud, dust)... You may try to apply some air from air compressor from outside and see if there dirt cloud inside :)
3) Fan clutch: check on the cold engine and hot engine
4) Radiator cap: cheap, so may try to replace :)
5) Thermostat

Greasemonkey
05/16/2008, 09:56 AM
Hi did you know if you check the fan when the engine is running it stings?
i would also suggest checking the water pump - it has been know for some of the propellor vanes to come off thus making it very poor at circulating the coolant which to stop the engine over heating should also be the correct mix as not only does it prevent frost damage it is also as the names says a summer coolant i have found 50/50 is the best mix
cheers
Steve