PDA

View Full Version : 80k -- First Break Service question

Grand_Canyon_VXer
05/15/2008, 09:06 AM
Hey Amigos - I have read the R1 Break thread and a lot of good info there. I am taking my 2000 in for it's first break service. Should I expect to replace rotors? This is the first vehicle where a break job lasted more than 40k (for me) I assume it is the compound of the OEM pads?

So it sounds like R1 rotors are best w/ OEM pads... ??? I am looking for excellent break feel more than saving a few bucks.... but saving a few bucks is always good!!

etlsport
05/15/2008, 09:10 AM
i am running stock pads with autozone (duralast?) oem replacement rotors, the pedal feel is great and stopping power is great too

I also upgraded to stainless steel lines though too

more than likely at 80k you are due for new rotors, i went to autozone, bought the rotors, went to isuzu, bought the brake pads, and took all that stuff to my mechanic to be installed

Grand_Canyon_VXer
05/15/2008, 01:17 PM
Anyone try these CMX579 / CMX580 http://www.morseauto.com/intro.htm about $80 all the way around (ceramic).

Solitude
05/15/2008, 01:42 PM
if you do a search on the brake issues.. the after market ones create more dust then reasonabley expected.. stick with OEM shoes, and whichever rooters you are comfortable with

VehiGAZ
05/15/2008, 01:42 PM
After 80k miles, you are due for brakes, but you are in for it! It's a big job, because it includes disassembly of the hubs at all 4 corners, repacking bearings, etc. (I am up on this subject because I am in the process of collecting the necessary tools and part to do my front brake pads & rotors after being quoted about $900 for the job by my Isuzu dealer!)

For starters, you should replace at least the front rotors while you are doing the pads - you will be pissed if your new pads warp a rotor 10k miles from now and you have to go through all that work and expense again! I've been living with a warped front rotor for a year and a half, and I can't take it anymore.

If you want to improve brake feel, replace your brake lines with braided steel lines rather than put any fancy-pantsy "performance" rotors on. The steel brake lines always makes a big difference, whereas different rotors won't necessarily make any difference.

Isuzu OEM rotors cost like $250 EACH these days, so go the $40 AutoZone route. Check the price on Isuzu OEM pads - last I heard they were like $120 a set for the fronts. They seems to be far superior from a low-dust perspective than any other pads out there, though, so that might be worth the additional expense.

Disassembly of the hubs requires special tools or some "freestyle" wrenching, so be careful of who you get to do the work. Since Isuzu corporate pulled out and left us high-and-dry, Isuzu dealers may be more willing to install non-OEM parts just to book the work. Consider a good 4WD garage, as they will know how to handle the hub work and bearing repacks.

Good luck!

tom4bren
05/15/2008, 01:49 PM
"I've been living with a warped front rotor for a year and a half, and I can't take it anymore."

Have you checked to see if the warped rotor can be turned? I had a warped rotor on my Eclipse recently that they were able to repair by turning it.

Grand_Canyon_VXer
05/15/2008, 02:08 PM
Cool - Guys,

Sounds like it's OEM pads, Autozone Rotors, steel Lines and my mechanic...

It's kinda jacked the pads are the most expensive part of this project....

VehiGAZ
05/15/2008, 03:50 PM
Have you checked to see if the warped rotor can be turned? I had a warped rotor on my Eclipse recently that they were able to repair by turning it.

Thanks for the suggestion, but they were already turned once - hence the warp now. Thinner rotors are more prone to warping, so you can't continue to turn them down. Besides, at this point, I've got >100k on the original front rotors. If I'm going to go through the hassle of getting to them, they're getting replaced.

VehiGAZ
05/15/2008, 03:52 PM
It's kinda jacked the pads are the most expensive part of this project....

Call Merlin and/or your local dealer to see if you can get a decent price on a set.

We are going to find that many Isuzu OEM parts are not being kept in stock in the US anymore, which is going to make them expensive and slow to get.

etlsport
05/15/2008, 04:05 PM
i got my pads maybe 6 months ago.. both front and rear were at the dealership already, i think 110-120 for the fronts and 90 for the rears