PDA

View Full Version : VX Hood Vents

dtruax
06/23/2003, 04:11 PM
I am working up the courage to install some hood vents in my VX. I am curious as to your opinions on this. I have posted some pics in the gallery. One of the pics has different positions on the hood.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=1978&papass=&sort=1&size=

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=1977

Spike
06/23/2003, 04:26 PM
I think they look better farther back, as oposed to forward.

Its not a very long hood.. and might look too cluttered near the front.

newthings
06/23/2003, 05:09 PM
If you remove the insulation under the hood, you will find supports blocks off most of the right and left edge area at the rear of the insert. In the center is an open area suitable for a large single vent opening. Roy

Joe_Black
06/23/2003, 06:15 PM
They would definitely look better towards the rear, and that's exactly where they need to be to function. Extractor type venting will work very well on the VX and should help keep the engine bay significantly cooler. Placing them towards the rear of the hood takes advantage of the lower pressure air flow which creates the "pull" necessary for extraction. As newthings mentioned there are supports under the insert, but the under-hood insulation and the insert are easy enough to remove for you to plan your install. Depending on the depth of your vents you may only have to trim some material. A handy hint I learned while racing SCCA was to cut a frame from sheet aluminum for the opening in the under-hood insulation. You would then fasten (rivets and backing washers) the frame around its perimeter which prevented it from sagging and deteriorating where you cut the opening. Be sure to post plenty of pics when you set it up!:thumbup:

newthings
06/23/2003, 06:39 PM
I think cutting the metal supports will make an unstable hood. An ideal large space exists in the center rear area. Look where Grandpa Bob put his scoop.
I have done away with the insulation to let the heat out.
Roy

dtruax
06/23/2003, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by newthings
I think cutting the metal supports will make an unstable hood. An ideal large space exists in the center rear area. Look where Grandpa Bob put his scoop.
I have done away with the insulation to let the heat out.
Roy

Is the insulation important?

SGT.BATGUANO
06/23/2003, 08:54 PM
Mostly noise insulation. Also helps cut down on hood condensation and frost formation. From your pics it appears you've already set them in. The louvers should be oriented with the leading edge down and the rear up, otherwise you'll be getting water.

How about one of our fabricators create some gill vents, ala VX-02 or land rover?

dtruax
06/23/2003, 09:43 PM
[i]From your pics it appears you've already set them in. [/B]

Nah - just photoshop. I waiting to get more opinions before I do it.

Joe_Black
06/24/2003, 05:22 AM
N1 was working on a carbon insert with Evo-style extraction vents before he became incapacitated. Now that he's on the mend I can definitely be patient as the first example of the carbon insert (without vents) looked awesome.

WormGod
06/24/2003, 07:48 AM
Yep, watch them hood supports. I just had my insert off AGAIN this weekend cleaning out the drains and thought about how flexible the hood would get without them. I would go for something more along the lines of the center if possible. Unless, you can make the cut without losing the supports. I dunno, never reallt thought about it. I am hoping N1 gets well soon and finds the urge to jump back into the VX mixing bowl. Them Evo inserts and WRX style scoops gave me quite the woody. ;)

SGT.BATGUANO
06/24/2003, 02:47 PM
The hood needs the reinforcements......... feels lke it weighs 100lbs! ;wtf;

Spike
06/24/2003, 04:49 PM
Hmmm.. I was hoping it was going to be smooth... as in, a direct copy of the factory hood in carbon.

Anyone else thinking about a solid one like that?

Joe_Black
06/25/2003, 06:07 AM
Here's a link to the CF hood insert that newthings got from N1: CF Hood Insert (http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i...e21b30ecad665ca)

Albert (N1) was going to prototype an insert with functional Evo-style extraction vents. That was before his health ordeals. As mentioned earlier, hopefully he'll return to the VX scene soon and pick up where he left off. I'm certainly going to be at the top of the list for the Evo hood!:yesg:

Tone
06/25/2003, 07:46 AM
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=718&papass=&sort=4

Spike
06/25/2003, 08:45 AM
Tone, That is what I was expecting/hoping for Tone. The one in the gallery.

I couldnt see the other link that Joe_Black sent (with the Evo vents.)

I just want a wide open space to do a custom decal over carbon...

Joe_Black
06/25/2003, 01:31 PM
FYI, Tone posted a link to the same pics of newthings plain CF hood insert. The link I posted was to his Shutterfly page, guess you gotta register to see it. Sorry 'bout that! The Evo-style hasn't been made yet, but was on the drawing board before N1 took ill.

Spike
06/25/2003, 01:50 PM
How much do you think a CF hood insert would cost? -smooth

I know the stuff is far from cheap -

Tone
06/25/2003, 03:38 PM
Price for CF hood insert was going to be less than $500 for the scoop version. Smooth one would be less. Freight may be an issue since they are so big so we’ll probably want to send ocean and have one central distribution person in CA or TX. Whole CF hoods for other imports are a not too much more but of course are made in larger lots for the ricers.