PDA

View Full Version : Cherry Bomb - Vortex!

SilverBullet75
05/27/2008, 08:34 PM
I just spent part of my Stimulus Check on a new exhaust for my Ebony. It's a Vortex, by Cherry Bomb. So far I couldn't be happier! I wanted something a tad quieter than the Flowmaster Super40, yet with better low-end torque and gas mileage. I am still testing the mileage part... but the torque is better than stock! That's all I care about right now. The muffler is similar in design to the Flowmaster, but with a surrounding of fiberglass that adds back the backpressure that I lost. The sound is also similar to the Flowmaster, yet without the "hollow" sound. $275 later... smiles all around! :bgwb:

Some of you are probably saying:

"I wouldn't be caught dead putting a "Cherry Bomb" on my vehicle..."
I thought the same thing when I was told about the Vortex. Turns out Cherry Bomb was bought out by another company that gave them a bit of a turnaround.

Here's their website for more info:
http://www.cherrybomb.com/products/

etlsport
05/27/2008, 08:52 PM
i saw the commercials for that muffler.. liked the look of it a lot.. but dont have the money to get it now.. sound clip please!

LittleBeast
05/30/2008, 03:39 AM
How can you tell the difference in backpressure? I am looking at 3 options:
-MagnaFlow part# 14378
-Cherry Bomb part# 88115
-FlowMaster 50 Series SUV part# 524554
All are dual in/dual out (2.25") except the Cherry Bomb is (2.25"in/2.5" out). I plan on replacing the old OEM Cats with MagnaFlow Cats (part# 54305) as well. I am tired of the very loud PV1, and want to try something new, hopefully a little more quiet, PV1 sounds a little ricey over 4K rpms.

tom4bren
05/30/2008, 07:00 AM
"but with a surrounding of fiberglass that adds back the backpressure that I lost"

I'm confused. I thought that the whole reason for a high performance exhaust system was to reduce back pressure. You talk as if back pressure is a good thing. Can someone 'splain?

taylorRichie
05/30/2008, 07:54 AM
If he's talking about installing a high flow cat, I doubt he wants back pressure... He's probably wanting back pressure specs to possibly determine how loud it'll be??

SilverBullet75
05/30/2008, 11:25 AM
Guys,

I'm at a loss as well.. common sense tells us that less backpressure equals benefits, not negative results!... but...

All I know is that when I went with the Flowmaster Super40, which has much more open flow than stock, I lost a lot of low-end torque, some hp, and gas mileage was terrible. (also confirmed by VCross007 when he tried the same setup)

I put the stock muffler back on, and everything was great again... but too quiet.

So, I found a happy medium... a similar design (chambered), but with fiberglass surrounding the chambers (which should add some resistance).
So far so good! Throttle response seems improved. Torque is GREAT. Gas mileage (so far) is definately improved.

So, I don't have any dyno data to "prove" it... just experience.

I'd also like to apologize to VCross007 for leading him to the Flowmaster prematurely...

Littlebeast,
RE: "I am looking at 3 options:
-MagnaFlow part# 14378
-Cherry Bomb part# 88115
-FlowMaster 50 Series SUV part# 524554"

My Cherry Bomb Vortex part number is 88101.
Also, according to the muffler guy, the FlowMaster 50 series is pretty quiet... almost like stock with a little bit of a "throat" to it.
(I never looked at the MagnaFlow... always heard they were too raspy/loud)

I'll try to get a sound clip soon... maybe today.
Thanks!

Kenny
05/30/2008, 02:42 PM
The fiberglass packing in the muffler, or resonator, does not add resistance per se or affect backpressure. All it does is dampen the reflecting sound to help reduce the resonance and blend the exhaust note. Extra baffling in the muffler and smaller pipes will create back pressure.

Theoretically we should get some minor improvement in performance with higher flowing exhaust through the scavenging effect it is supposed to make. Meaning it will help "suck" the exhaust out of the piston chamber as opposed to letting it be pushed out. I guess this is supposed to reduce the effort the piston makes on its second rise to exhaust the cylinder - in essence improving efficiency.

Were the duals and high flow cats and open mufflers will shine is if you improve intake air velocity/amount. i.e. better intake, and ultimately, a supercharger.

I'd say the more insulation the better as opposed to constraining flow with baffles (my old Morgan tec had no insulation and basic baffling so it liked to develop a nasty resonance at a specific rpm due to harmonics - insulation dampens this effect). I think Magnaflow mufflers are on the loud side due to their goal to maintain high flows with minimal baffling. From my experience, they should be complimented with a resonator or glass pack to tone em down a bit.

Personally, I'd lean more to a heavier muffler just to get the sound levels down. If you don't plan on supercharging, and want a growl, I think one of the heavier models by Flowmaster, Cherry Bomb, Aeroexhaust, should work.

I's say our biggest challenges are being 6-cyl (we all really want that 8-cyl purr) as well as a very short underbody with little room to play with pipes and such.

Ascinder
05/30/2008, 04:17 PM
Backpressure is fairly straitforward. More usually increases torue, but decrases horsepower and vice versa. There is obviously a sweetspot where you get the best of both and sound is always a concern. This is why you hear people on here adding dffusers and restricters, too much free flow equals no low end get up and go, while too much back pressure makes you engine have to try and "pump" out your exhaust more than normal. Try removing you muffler and driving around the block. You will feel a tangible loss in the acceleration/pickup department.

VCross007
05/30/2008, 08:33 PM
Yea, I'm all stock, I did the elbow removal plus k&n filter. I noticed good mileage and hp gain, and also when i replaced the pcv valve. When i put the super 40 on i noticed a decrease in low end torque. Also , it seems to shift between gears around 50mph. If i let up on the gas, the rpms go up above 2k, but if i put my foot back down, they'll go up to about 2300 or so then shift down into 4th. it's really annoying and i dont know what to do. I get about 300 miles to the tank, im currently at 283 and have a quarter tank left, but ill fill up tomorrow to be safe. I want to go to borla, but i want to make sure that muffler that ldub has has better backpressure. I guess if you have too little bp, it has a negative effect and flows too much. who knew

VCross007
05/30/2008, 08:35 PM
oh and to silverbullet, it's cool man. with cars it's all trial and error. you just keep tryin till you find the muffler u want. I just want something loud and mean

taylorRichie
06/01/2008, 01:11 PM
That's why I've always like supertrapp exhuasts. You buy a muffler, then tune the backpressure, and sound to the "sweat spot" for you.

Ldub
06/01/2008, 05:09 PM
I just want something loud and mean

If you lived closer, I could introduce you to a couple of my X's...:rotate:...:smilewink...:rotate:

SilverBullet75
06/04/2008, 10:14 AM
That's why I've always like supertrapp exhuasts. You buy a muffler, then tune the backpressure, and sound to the "sweat spot" for you.

I almost went with SuperTrapp... but the last time I did, the sound was too "Brapppp"y...

taylorRichie
06/04/2008, 12:00 PM
I almost went with SuperTrapp... but the last time I did, the sound was too "Brapppp"y...

I did Dual 4.5" ones on my 4.3 Liter V6... It did sound a bit Brappy, but more THroaty.

It sounded great about 3rd gear Wide Open Throttle.

Exhaust is definitely a tough one.

Solitude
06/11/2008, 10:43 AM
any updates on this topic?

VehiGAZ
06/11/2008, 11:08 AM
according to the muffler guy, the FlowMaster 50 series is pretty quiet... almost like stock with a little bit of a "throat" to it.

I can tell you that this claim is either ignorant or a straight-out lie...

I put a 2.5" in/out Flowmaster Delta 50 on my VX and it is brutally loud. 200 yds down the road, I would have brought it back to the shop for them to yank it out again if I hadn't had to drive to PA for a business trip that evening. It has since mellowed out slightly, but it's still extremely loud and sometimes pretty harsh sounding.

On the other hand, I found that it improved off-the-line acceleration noticeably, and it certainly let the S/C breath easier at the top end of the rev range.

Hearing this nice recommendation for the CB Vortex, I might give it a try.

Bob Barker
09/04/2011, 04:24 PM
Just to add to this old topic, the cherry bomb glass pack (same length as stock muffler) is very nice sounding. I put one on this afternoon and LOVE IT!

SilverBullet75
09/04/2011, 09:17 PM
Did you go with the Vortex model or the standard straight glasspack (red) pipe?

Bob Barker
09/06/2011, 03:31 AM
glass pack. I was trying to budget cause I got a vacation in a couple weeks. I think the glass pack sounds a thousand times better than I thought it would.

SouthJ1
09/06/2011, 11:58 AM
glass pack. I was trying to budget cause I got a vacation in a couple weeks. I think the glass pack sounds a thousand times better than I thought it would.

Agreed glasspacks are what i have on my VX and its just a throaty pissed off bumble bee noise but i like the way it sounds. It kinda reminds me of a toyota supra when your getting down on it

Bob Barker
09/06/2011, 04:35 PM
Yeah I get that sound some too. Nice sound for a v6 comparing to a 4cyl and v8 it's a smooth middle range.