PDA

View Full Version : Bad CV's?

CrnCnn
06/15/2008, 08:40 PM
Sigh…..

So today I took out my right (passenger) CV and cleaned it up, re-greased it and re-assembled. In taking it apart there were some pebbles in there from the Moab trip. Nothing major, so I don’t think this caused any damage. I noticed on the piece that the ball bearings ride on there was some wear. This is called the race on the diagram posted by Tom4Bren. LINK (http://http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=11703).

Unfortunately, still noisy. I am nervous that my front end could be bad. I have not looked at my left yet because the noise appears to be coming from the pass side and the driver side is super clean still after my boot job.

I opened the diff fill plug to check quantity and quality of my front pumpkin. It was full and appears to be really fresh.

I was thinking of pulling the pass side out and doing a test drive. But its such a hassle to re-assemble.

Any suggestions?

Basically the noise is sort of a clicking noise. To me it sounds like one of the ball bearings is bouncing around in the cup that the cv rides in. This sound is intermittent and only happens under acceleration. Typically at around 30 MPH or higher.

In 4 low the noise is almost constant and more of a clunking/clicking noise.

Ldub
06/15/2008, 09:19 PM
I saw some re-manned half shafts (R&L) on ebay yesterday, might be worth a look.
Though I've heard the re-manned aren't as good as OEM, might get you by for a while if fundage is tight right now.
OEM from a salvage yard would be another option.

nfpgasmask
06/16/2008, 08:23 AM
That sucks dude, sorry I didn't make it over yesterday. I didn't even make it to my pumpkins either.

So do you think the CVs themselves are what's bad? I would say check the junkyards for these parts and see if you can get some.

Does anyone know if they are exchangable with other Zus?

Bart

CrnCnn
06/16/2008, 06:49 PM
I dont know. I am kinda looking for some tips or ideas on how to check my front dif. I really am thinking it could be that. I am thinking of puting the whole thing on jack stands and runing it in gear to listen, but thats not wise.

taylorRichie
06/16/2008, 06:57 PM
Hey guys I'm worried about my CVs as well...

My vehicle has made a noise since the day I bought it... It's off and on, and happens more depending on how far I drive.

After I stop, It sounds like wind chimes in the front of my vehicle.

Anyone know what that is?

Would a recording help?

Ldub
06/16/2008, 08:35 PM
Hey guys I'm worried about my CVs as well...

My vehicle has made a noise since the day I bought it... It's off and on, and happens more depending on how far I drive.

After I stop, It sounds like wind chimes in the front of my vehicle.

Anyone know what that is?

Would a recording help?

I was wondering where I put those...:_thinking

Crawl under & bang on all the heat shielding you can find clinging to your exhaust system...I'm serious.:_wrench:

taylorRichie
06/16/2008, 09:38 PM
so are you saying my cvs are probably safe :) I'll do as you say. New muffler should be here tomorrow

tom4bren
06/17/2008, 09:21 AM
"After I stop, It sounds like wind chimes in the front of my vehicle"

That wouldn't be CVs. They'll only make noise while in motion. Others have had rust-out problems with their heat shields so that is a good place to start.

"Basically the noise is sort of a clicking noise. To me it sounds like one of the ball bearings is bouncing around in the cup that the cv rides in. This sound is intermittent and only happens under acceleration."

My rule of thumb (which may be overly simplistic) is that if the clicking sounds during deceleration, it's CVs. If it happens during acceleration, it's U-joints.

BTW - wear patterns on the races is to be expected but I have no idea how much is acceptable.

CrnCnn
06/17/2008, 10:38 AM
My rule of thumb (which may be overly simplistic) is that if the clicking sounds during deceleration, it's CVs. If it happens during acceleration, it's U-joints.

BTW - wear patterns on the races is to be expected but I have no idea how much is acceptable.

That was sort of my thinking as well, however, I dont see any U joints on the front drive shaft.?. At least the kind I am used to, there are two coupling points but no u joints. Rear U joints yes. So thats why I am nervous about the front end being blown.

CrnCnn
06/18/2008, 08:14 PM
no other thoughts? stupid unique problems

circmand
06/19/2008, 08:25 AM
You get to be the first to post on what the cause is and how to fix it. Don't forget pix:p:

CrnCnn
08/20/2008, 08:08 PM
So it was the Right side.

So what does any one think about driving with out CV axles? I am thinking of making the Elko meet with only one CV.

Will it effect the TOD or front diff with a three to four hour drive with only one.

Should I remove the drivers side as well so there is even pressure?

tom4bren
08/21/2008, 04:59 AM
"Should I remove the drivers side as well"

Absolutely. It prolly won't bother the TOD but the pumpkin may not like it.