PDA

View Full Version : Cladding chop finished at last

BritVX
06/24/2008, 12:42 PM
Hi folks,

It's been a long time since I've contributed to the site as fair few of the woes of life had been heaped on me and my VX was the last thing on my mind. Anyway time has passed and I've eventually managed to get done what I'd started over 18 months ago.

creeg
06/24/2008, 05:13 PM
that looks pretty clean!

VCrossfan
06/24/2008, 05:59 PM
http://tn3-2.deviantart.com/fs20/300W/f/2007/264/9/6/2_thumbs_up_by_NestR.jpg

tomdietrying
06/24/2008, 06:16 PM
Nice look! What size tires are you running?
Peace.
Tom

BritVX
06/25/2008, 12:50 AM
Thanks for the positive comments, I'm running on 285X75X16 but I'm looking to go for something bigger and more off road soon. I'll post a couple more picks tonight that show more of the detail as it took me forever to resize them.

I've created the bottom grill to allow me to get an intercooler in good airflow, next job is clearing out more space under the hood for the turbos:) I'm moving the battery to the trunk, ditching the airbox etc. I'm looking to use 2 turbos as the plumbing will be easier.

Col

VehiGAZ
06/25/2008, 07:50 AM
Nice color!!! That's not Foxfire, is it?

BritVX
06/25/2008, 08:37 AM
I'm not sure but I think it is, it's not named on any of my documentation. I was thinking of respraying to metallic black.

nfpgasmask
06/25/2008, 10:45 AM
I'm not sure but I think it is, it's not named on any of my documentation. I was thinking of respraying to metallic black.

That ain't Foxfire red, I think that is more like the JDM red color.

Nice looking VX!

Bart

BritVX
06/25/2008, 12:02 PM
Just a few more shots showing a bit more detail. I could have done a better job getting rust off the chassis but got impatient.

Col

pbkid
06/25/2008, 12:07 PM
great idea for a street driven VX..

if you offroaded a lot like that i think you would definately break some parts there on the corners

Ascinder
06/25/2008, 07:28 PM
What did you use to make this part? It looks seamless.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/cladding.jpg

BritVX
06/26/2008, 03:37 AM
great idea for a street driven VX..

if you offroaded a lot like that i think you would definately break some parts there on the corners

Sorry but I thought raising the suspension 3", switching tires to gain another 1" (approx), raising the lowest point of the front cladding 2" and the safari bar 2" plus all the cladding and steel removal on the corners would kinda improve offroad ability or am I missing something:confused:

What did you use to make this part? It looks seamless.

After cutting away the cladding I used expanding foam to build up the back of the cladding, cut it to shape and then covered it with a few layers of GRP and finally sanded it flat. I also had to fill in the corners of the indicator detents as I didn't want to cut the front section too thin.

I'm suprised no one's asked about the reworked grill as that was the hardest part (amount of work), removing the hexagon design and replacing it with the mesh.

Col

taylorRichie
06/26/2008, 06:19 AM
I'm suprised no one's asked about the reworked grill as that was the hardest part (amount of work), removing the hexagon design and replacing it with the mesh.
Col

So... what about that...

;)

Honestly your work is subtle and done so well that it's hard to pick up on all the details. I wish you would have taken pictures of the process where you built up your new side pieces with foam and then re worked it...

It looks amazing.

Very good job! :thumbup:

Ascinder
06/26/2008, 12:31 PM
a few layers of GRP and finally sanded it flat.

Sorry, maybe I'm being abbreviation challenged, but what is GRP? Like fiberglass and epoxy, or some kind of reinforced plastic?

VCrossfan
06/26/2008, 01:34 PM
Col...Your front turn signals seem to be rear turn signals off a motorcycle?? Looks like a set off a Dual Purpose Bike with the rubber flexible arms. Am I close? The above mentioned would be a good idea for offroad use...

Cobrajet
06/26/2008, 04:50 PM
Sorry, maybe I'm being abbreviation challenged, but what is GRP? Like fiberglass and epoxy, or some kind of reinforced plastic?
Glass Reinforced Plastic (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glass-reinforced_plastic)

taylorRichie
06/26/2008, 04:53 PM

So close ;)