PDA

View Full Version : Door lock internal mechanism

nfpgasmask
07/08/2008, 09:23 AM
So over the weekend I snapped the little brown plastic retainer that holds the rod in place into the locking/opening mechanism.

Basically, I couldn't open my door from the outside, locked or unlocked. We opened up my door panel to find the little brown plastic thing snapped. With the help of Ascinder and a zip tie, we were able to get the piece back in place. So far its holding pretty good.

Now, I just called St. Charles. Bad news is I have to by the whole assembly for $110 to get this little plastic part that a zip tie is now doing the job of. So, needless to say, I am going to keep the zip tie.

So, my question, does anyone know if this part is interchangable with Rodeos and Troopers? I think it would be a part to get from pick-n-pull if so.

Thanks - Bart

PS - Jo, did you ever get your passenger lock mechanism fixed after the Moab incident? What did you end up doing?

Scott Harness
07/08/2008, 10:46 AM
Hey Bart, Joe had accidentally hit the child-safety lock on the drivers door.Thus rendering passenger door lock button useless. Nothing was broken.

nfpgasmask
07/08/2008, 11:00 AM
Hey Bart, Joe had accidentally hit the child-safety lock on the drivers door.Thus rendering passenger door lock button useless. Nothing was broken.

Oh, ok, I thought when the locksmith came he broke the door lock when he jimmied it open.

Bart

MSHardeman
07/08/2008, 12:27 PM
Bart,

Why the fudge do you need to buy the entire assembly? Does Merlin not have just the plastic piece that you need? I think that I've borken the same part that you are talking about and it was like $1.50 from Merlin.

Are parts getting that scarce?

nfpgasmask
07/08/2008, 12:48 PM
Bart,

Why the fudge do you need to buy the entire assembly? Does Merlin not have just the plastic piece that you need? I think that I've borken the same part that you are talking about and it was like $1.50 from Merlin.

Hmmm, I dunno. They told me they could only sell me the whole lock mechanism. Maybe I should call back and talk to Merlin. I talked to some other guy...

Bart

VehiGAZ
07/08/2008, 01:00 PM

YES! I understand why we are all in denial about it, but Isuzu's withdrawal from the US market is a fact with consequences.

I was at my Isuzu/Audi dealer the other day with my wife's A3, and got to chat with my two service writer buddies there. They have another Isuzu customer that is waiting three weeks for brakes to be shipped from Japan at an enormous cost - the replacement is covered under the warranty, so the customer is willing to wait.

They said that Isuzu is letting part inventories in the US dry up to eliminate their inventory costs. That means that those little parts will probably not be available separately - most parts will be sold as in groups - and they will be supplied very slowly from far-away places.

We VX owners are holding hot potatoes - rare models made by departed manufacturers. The part-interchangeability with other Isuzu (and GM) models helps, but in the near future there will likely be some VX-specific parts that will be impossible to get ever again.

JoFotoz
07/08/2008, 01:28 PM
Yea he did...
Oh, ok, I thought when the locksmith came he broke the door lock when he jimmied it open.

Bart

....the child lock issue was a whole seperate brain fart on my part!

Mine goes back together...for about 5 "uses"...then falls off again.

I havent had time to do a 'real' fix yet.

jo

nfpgasmask
07/08/2008, 02:32 PM
Yea he did...

....the child lock issue was a whole seperate brain fart on my part!

Mine goes back together...for about 5 "uses"...then falls off again.

I havent had time to do a 'real' fix yet.

jo

So is your broken part the little brown clippy thing too?

Bart

JoFotoz
07/08/2008, 03:47 PM
So is your broken part the little brown clippy thing too?

Bart

Mine is the clear plastic clippy thing...:confused:

jo

Y33TREKker
07/08/2008, 05:43 PM

No need for confusion. They're different colors depending on whether they're for the drivers' side or the passengers' side.

rowhard
07/08/2008, 06:39 PM
read my How To http://www.vehicross.info/modules.php?name=Content&file=viewarticle&op=newarticle&id=22
pretty simple

Thmstec
07/08/2008, 08:32 PM
haha, that happened 2 days after I got mine, tied it together with string the first time (never found that plastic peice) and it broke on the first rain a week later. Then I went at it with some rubber bands that you would use for braces. Put about 30 on there, haven't had a problem since... now last time I said "haven't had a problem since," I was towing it the next day, so my door probably won't open tomorrow...

Bulldoggie
07/10/2008, 04:01 AM

jo

Funny how every time I have a problem, I read someone else having the same issue :confused:
After a week of opening the door from the passenger side, I pulled the panel and put the rod back in place, only to have it fall back off 2 days later.
:mad::wtfo::sighgray:
Back to opening from the inside, sometimes kids do come in handy :rolleyes:

Ascinder
07/10/2008, 01:23 PM
So what's the deal Bart? Is it going to be $110 or $4. If you order one or two at @ $4, let me know, I need some stuff from Merlin too.

nfpgasmask
07/10/2008, 01:24 PM
So what's the deal Bart? Is it going to be $110 or $4. If you order one or two at @ $4, let me know, I need some stuff from Merlin too.

You know, I haven't called back. I will try again tomorrow. Your zip tie seems to be holding up pretty well so far. I'll let you know though.

Bart