PDA

View Full Version : Low tranny fluid=flashing check trans light!

Triathlete
07/13/2008, 09:22 PM
My tranny has a very, very, very slow leak. It is one of those leaks that is so slow it does not drip on the ground, but just sort of dirties up the pan of the tranny. So anyway, as I was returning home from a race trip in Sierra Vista, Az. my check engine light came on simotaniously with a flashing check trans light:eek: The trans was shifting good and not slipping or making any strange noises so I drove it the rest of the 50 miles home while paying close attension for any slipage or noises. Today I drained the pan and found it was 1 quart low. So the tranny got filled with Valvaline max life (75,000 mile) ATF plus one quart of their max life w/stop leak (we will see if that helps). Disconnected the battery and reset the computer. All is good in VX land!:cool:

Triathlete
07/15/2008, 10:44 PM
Well, apparently the cure wasn't that simple. Two days later both lights back on!:( No slippage, no harsh shifts, no strange noises...just the CEL and a flashing Check Trans light! All dash lights working normal. So I guess tomorrow I will head to the Auto Zone and get the codes read. Has anyone else experienced this?

Ldub
07/16/2008, 05:44 AM
DANG...I had my fingers crossed for ya & everything...:sighwgray

When I read this, I was hoping that was going to be that, & you & your VX lived happily ever after.

Keep us posted with what you find...hope it's simple & cheap.:thumbup:

Triathlete
07/16/2008, 12:44 PM
The code thrown is P1870 (transmission component slipping). Probable causes...low trans. fluid level or failed trans. component. I guess I'll check the fluid level. Maybe there was some air in the system when I filled it. If not...??????????

nfpgasmask
07/16/2008, 03:17 PM
Billy boy, when was the last time you did a full tranny filter and fluid change?

When you checked your fluid, did it seem clean or burnt? I would drop the pan and change the filter and fluid, especially it has been a while. You could see then if your magnet has a lot of metal shavings on it or not, which would give you a good indication if there is a bigger problem. Where is it leaking from? Around the gasket?

You have a lot of miles on your VX, right?

Bart

Triathlete
07/16/2008, 10:42 PM
It was just changed 115000 "babied" miles ago! Should be okay don't you think?:bwgy:

But , yea that will probably be on my list for the weekend. Like I said though, no strange sounds, smells, rough shifting or noticable slipping.

nfpgasmask
07/16/2008, 10:47 PM
Billy, are you saying you have never serviced your tranny?

:confused: Bart

Triathlete
07/16/2008, 11:23 PM
I thought about it a couple times...does that count?

nfpgasmask
07/17/2008, 08:28 AM
I thought about it a couple times...does that count?

I dunno Billy. The trans is not that hard to maintain. Its a messy pain in the nuts, but if you have the right tools and a helper, its not so bad, just a little time consuming.

Bart

Ascinder
07/17/2008, 08:46 AM
I think my VX's computer is either retarded or mute or dead, I have never thrown any codes or lights ever. But I was a quart low and could feel my trans slipping and still no light. We even checked for codes with James' scanner on the Mammoth trip and got nothing. It seriously bothers me how many people on the forums have fully functional sensing/reporting systems while mine remains silent. Is there anything that could be disconnected somewhere?

nfpgasmask
07/17/2008, 09:03 AM
I think my VX's computer is either retarded or mute or dead, I have never thrown any codes or lights ever. But I was a quart low and could feel my trans slipping and still no light. We even checked for codes with James' scanner on the Mammoth trip and got nothing. It seriously bothers me how many people on the forums have fully functional sensing/reporting systems while mine remains silent. Is there anything that could be disconnected somewhere?

Well, I dunno. When I bought my VX, I had a problem with the trans right away. The symptoms were like the mode switch problem, but without any lights on the dash. HARD VIOLENT gear slamming and slipping. I did a full trans service and voila! Problem gone.

What I really don't get, is that the original owner sold me the VX when it had just under 27,000 miles on it. When I drained the tranny the first time the fluid was BLACK, and smelled like burnt cookies. Then, when we I did my trans with Clint last winter, after about 35k more miles, the fluid wasn't so bad. Maybe the synthetic tranny fluid is in fact that good?!!?

Anyway, what I am saying, is that they don't call dash indicators "idiot lights" for no reason. It seems that until you actually have a catastrophic breakdown, the lights don't come on (sorry Billy).

That's how it was in my Xterra. Not a single light illuminated in the dash until I threw a rod, and oil and smoke started spewing out the bottom of the engine bay, then EVERYTHING thurned on.

Let me know when you want to change your fluid and filter. I'd be glad to help. We need to get a maintenance meet scheduled for you and Clint.

Bart

Triathlete
07/17/2008, 10:09 AM
Anyway, what I am saying, is that they don't call dash indicators "idiot lights" for no reason. It seems that until you actually have a catastrophic breakdown, the lights don't come on (sorry Billy).

Thats alright....I've never claimed to be the smartest guy in the world!:bwgy:

Triathlete
07/17/2008, 10:11 AM
Quick?????
Is there a gasket on the main pan or just the make-a-gasket type stuff? If the later, what works best?

nfpgasmask
07/17/2008, 10:15 AM
Thats alright....I've never claimed to be the smartest guy in the world!:bwgy:

Billy, sorry about the idiot light comment, I didn't mean it that way, what I meant was, "sorry Billy, your light may be indicating that you have a catastrophic tranny problem", not, "Billy, you are an idiot!" :)

Bart

nfpgasmask
07/17/2008, 10:22 AM
Quick?????
Is there a gasket on the main pan or just the make-a-gasket type stuff? If the later, what works best?

Autozone carrys a replacement tranny filter for our VXes. The filter comes with a cork gasket. I have been using these type of gaskets with my VX since my first tranny service with no problem. If you have never done a tranny service, it makes me wonder if the filter is clogged and that is why your indicator is lit.

Go buy the filter today. Should be around $35-$40. Take the gasket out and compress it between 2 heavy books. This will get the folds out and be ready for you by Saturday morning. It will be WAY easier to install without the folds. If you really have never done your trans, you might want to pick up a hard plastic scraper too. When we did Clint's tranny, his original gasket was broasted onto the pan and housing pretty bad. Yours will likely have this issue also, in which case you will spend some time scraping off the old gasket.

Now, I know I have and several others on here have spelled out the whole tranny fluid and filter change procedure in detail. But, I would be more than happy to spell it out again. I've done mine twice now, and I feel really comfortable and confident about doing it now. Just say the word.

Bart

Triathlete
07/17/2008, 11:12 PM
Are any brand better than the others for the filter? Here is what checkers has (http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductList.aspx?parttype=1158&ptset=A&searchfor=Transmission+Filter+Kit). The fram is available for store pick-up and is hugely discounted.

And don't worry, I knew what you were saying about the "idiot" lights...I rarely take anything TO serious!

tom4bren
07/18/2008, 07:25 AM
Billy,

I did a pdf of the ATF change. Lemme know if you need me to send it to you to print a copy to have outside when you do the job.

Tom

nfpgasmask
07/18/2008, 08:14 AM
Billy, I am not sure what brand I got. Both times, the filter and gasket came in a thin white box with no markings on it at all. AutoZone just said it is OEM.

Bart

Triathlete
07/20/2008, 10:27 PM
Well, the deed is done! Today I dropped all my skid plates, dropped the cross member, dropped the trans. pan and changed the trans. filter. Buttoned it all up and filled it up again. Test drove it and all seems well...will give it a few weeks to see if the CTL comes back on again. All in all this is not a hard job to do yourself with just a few basic hand tools...although if you have access to a lift it would make things WAY easier. Took me about 4-5 hours. Could probably do it in half the time now that I know what to do. I used the Fram filter. Was $40 at Checkers. Filled the trans up with Valvoline Max Life. The fluid smelled like fluid...no burnt smell. It was dirty but not black. There was a bit (maybe 1/18th of an inch) of sludgey metal on the magnet...but I guess for 115000 miles thats not to bad. I cleaned everything up...that is a pretty good size magnet! I'll post a few pictures I took in the morning. I am tired now!:cool:

nfpgasmask
07/21/2008, 08:12 AM
Good job, Billy. Personally, I noticed smoother shifting after my trans fluid/filter change.

Bart

Triathlete
07/26/2008, 02:59 PM
Sooooo, as promised here are a few pics from the filter change job...

The filter/gasket kit. Fram part# FT1170
http://shutter02.pictures.aol.com/data/pictures/19/006/77/DF/F7/61/yG8U2oPkMct-jTVBcQhSHhTBXUNuZxlt0300.jpg

The new Fram filter
http://shutter01.pictures.aol.com/data/pictures/20/002/5F/FF/D8/87/4ZRB7ltUpBwrqJzXOVPzanmWfqHs87h50300.jpg

http://shutter05.pictures.aol.com/data/pictures/17/006/58/AF/99/56/AAjl-I4C1M20ozotfxnOy9pe6+5hb8Jh0300.jpg

Gasket (comes in kit)
http://shutter04.pictures.aol.com/data/pictures/21/004/7F/FF/AF/D1/8hUwkHjYtlOVap9YrkDliD9SPTs61zfq0300.jpg

The pan dropped and old filter removed. There are 16 bolts that hold the pan.
http://shutter05.pictures.aol.com/data/pictures/18/005/71/DC/27/59/SitRYGQb-zHsP10zhKSY90qIZWNv1CLI0300.jpg

http://shutter04.pictures.aol.com/data/pictures/18/006/7F/DF/8E/BB/o+P-VXIDiQDiClmIAeRnpq3q-IOpHRto0300.jpg

The cross member dropped to allow access to the rear 4 pan bolts. There are 3 bolts on each side that hold the cross member on.
http://shutter03.pictures.aol.com/data/pictures/18/001/7C/DF/B1/F1/YWGelA2to4pZt43fPkYLFHqfjlL6XiMz0300.jpg

Old...dirty filter
http://shutter02.pictures.aol.com/data/pictures/15/003/77/BD/AE/CF/n4d3k0G5gLteTTOJzMxDFL5WHRXah2Vk0300.jpg

Triathlete
07/26/2008, 03:02 PM
New filter installed. 3 bolts secure it in place.
http://shutter05.pictures.aol.com/data/pictures/19/001/77/BA/B2/39/5gFvqmGmTf87X9w6EtbmAEOUeJuEqVCg0300.jpg

$10 pump I used to pump the fluid into the tranny
http://shutter04.pictures.aol.com/data/pictures/22/006/2B/FE/53/64/b9YHh8eMxfdEPvM7+i+8SSYamaQg34CT0300.jpg

http://shutter04.pictures.aol.com/data/pictures/21/004/74/EF/8D/31/oc3HQdyDGrLKWE-96UWvZk2dseQV2yGJ0300.jpg

nfpgasmask
07/26/2008, 05:05 PM
Wow Billy, you went the hard way with that hand pump, eh?

:) Bart

Triathlete
07/26/2008, 06:16 PM
Nah, actually it works pretty good.:cool:

Ldub
07/27/2008, 05:42 AM
Nah, actually it works pretty good.:cool:

LOL...that's what I keep tellin' him...:smilewink

Bart just ain't the hand pump kind of guy...:rotate:

CoastieCosta567
01/18/2009, 07:28 PM
Is everything still fine? cuz my VX Tranny light just turn on flashing a few days ago. I was heading to my buddies house 150 miles from me and i was 50 miles to his house when the light started flashing, so i stopped right there and got it towed to his house and is there right now. The VX feels great and runs and sounds light a champ. the next morning i added some fluid cuz it also has a small tiny leak and rebooted the VX Computer and test drove it and felt really good like it had no prblem and no light came back on. But again it's still in my buddies house and i have not been able to test drive it more and see if it the light comes back on. I did a tranny fluid flush and filter change like maybe 6,000 miles ago, do you guys think i should change it again incase if the shop i took it did a poor job or didn't really change my filter?

Triathlete
01/18/2009, 08:00 PM
My light comes on every once and a while. My code is a "slipage" code so I probably have some worn cluthes in there. Still shifts smooth and no foreign noises.
Have you had the code read yet?

Ldub
01/18/2009, 10:49 PM
I did a tranny fluid flush and filter change like maybe 6,000 miles ago, do you guys think i should change it again incase if the shop i took it did a poor job or didn't really change my filter?

I would check the fluid level myself...the RIGHT way. :_wrench:

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/fluid1.png

CoastieCosta567
01/19/2009, 05:43 AM
No i have not yet, it's still 2 hours from my house won't be able to pick her up till this coming weekend. Thanx Ldub, I have always tried to do the change my self but ever time i try to add more fluid, after like 5 min's running i pour some in and barley get 1/5 of a Qt and the fluids starts coming out and more then i put in cuz the old stuff starts to pour out, and i'm forced to plug it and stop with the process, i have to say this is the 1 thing that drives me nuts about the VX. Can you guys give some tips on how this will work and if starets coming out will it drain all of it and just the extra fluid?

Ldub
01/19/2009, 06:00 AM
No i have not yet, it's still 2 hours from my house won't be able to pick her up till this coming weekend. Thanx Ldub, I have always tried to do the change my self but ever time i try to add more fluid, after like 5 min's running i pour some in and barley get 1/5 of a Qt and the fluids starts coming out and more then i put in cuz the old stuff starts to pour out, and i'm forced to plug it and stop with the process, i have to say this is the 1 thing that drives me nuts about the VX. Can you guys give some tips on how this will work and if starets coming out will it drain all of it and just the extra fluid?

If you're following the instructions posted (getting it up to the proper temp., cycling it through the gears, being on level ground, etc), & opening the correct plug (upper fill/check plug), then anything coming out is overfill, & shouldn't be in there anyway.
Look at what is said in the posted instructions (right below where it says "DO NOT OVERFILL") about too much fluid in the system...:_wrench:
If you don't have a thermometer (cheap @ Harbor Freight) lay your hand on the bottom of the pan, it should be warm to the touch, (a bit above body temp) not cool, & not so hot that you can't leave your hand on it.

Diogenes
01/27/2009, 03:34 PM
Looks like I'm having the same problem.. Just drove cross country about 7 weeks ago and the Check Transmission light started blinking in Iowa after I dropped in a quart of oil. Had a local mechanic check the codes and there was nothing mentioned for the Transmission so he reset them and I drove another 1500 miles with no reoccurence.

But then a couple of weeks ago, the damn light started blinking again.. Reset the computer and it stopped blinking until last weekend. So now I'm starting to get a bit worried.

I've only put 15K on the vehicle since I bought it 3 years ago, and had ALL the fluids replaced 2 summers ago, including tranny and differentials. So I have a hard time believing that I'm running low since I'm not seeing any leaks.

As I recall, it's a major hassle to replace the tranny fluid, let alone replace the filter, but might have to do it.

Diogenes

nfpgasmask
01/27/2009, 04:25 PM
As I recall, it's a major hassle to replace the tranny fluid, let alone replace the filter, but might have to do it.

IMO, it is really not that hard to do. That said, it does take the proper know how, and that is why I think you should definitely, at very least, check your trans fluid level using the instructions posted earlier in this thread. Reason being, is that it is very possible that the mech who did your fluid change did not have the aforementioned instructions, and may have not filled your trans with enough fluid. Its very easy to not fill the VX trans properly. Does your VX shift hard/clunk between gears?

Also, imo, simply draining and refilling the trans fluid is not enough. You have to drop the pan and replace the filter. If this has never been done on your VX, it is very possible that your filter is dirty and clogging, and this may cause your check trans light to blink.

Changing the fluid AND filter is a chore, and will take you some time (like a whole Saturday afternoon), but it is really not hard. Its dirty, messy and hot, but not hard. And given the money you will save doing it yourself, it is rather worth it, imo.

Bart