PDA

View Full Version : Elko, NV Labor Day Camping Meet (Aug 29th-Sept 1st)

nfpgasmask
07/14/2008, 10:53 AM
OK, we've talked about it for a while. So let’s get formal and make it happen.

Elko is about 4 hours from Reno and about 3.5 hours from SLC.

I am thinking of taking a half-day on Friday, August 29th-leaving Reno about 1pm and getting to Elko around 5:30 or so. It would be cool to meet up with everyone somewhere in Elko, gas up for the weekend, and then head south into the wild and find some place to camp on BLM land for the night, and then on Saturday morning, wheel farther south to the Ruby Mountains area and find a nice spot to camp there Saturday and Sunday night.

Official invites:
Ascinder
CrnCnn
Zeus
taylorRichie
Kodiak
crager34
Todd Adams
snowtrooper1966

Of course, anyone else who would like to make the trek is more than welcome, but the above list includes all the Utah people I know, Reno people, and James from Mammoth. The above list is by no means meant to exclude anyone, its just a list of those folks who have talked about making this happen in the past, and those who I know might be interested. James, if you can take off Friday, and free yourself up for the weekend, you could drive up in the morning, chill at my house for a break and then leave with us that afternoon. As for others, I know there are a lot of California people who might want to join us, and the invite to meet at my crib in Reno is open to those who want to make the trip. Also, maybe some Idaho folks? Lets make it big!

The weather out there should be nice toward the end of August, and there is enough open land out that way that I think we will have no problem finding a bit of adventure and a lot of fun.

So let the discussion begin.

Bart

CrnCnn
07/14/2008, 01:18 PM
I will be needing to work on my left side CV, to see if its the problem and I will go from there.

Now though, Cari's Jeep needs a window motor/regulator so naturally that is priority. I will put in for the time off though JIC.

nfpgasmask
07/14/2008, 01:43 PM
I will be needing to work on my left side CV, to see if its the problem and I will go from there.

Now though, Cari's Jeep needs a window motor/regulator so naturally that is priority. I will put in for the time off though JIC.

Do it man! You got 2 months to get your VX up to speed. The three of us need to get together and get things fixed. I know Beau is probably in the same boat.

EDIT: Plus, I would really like to see how the boot removal/repack/replacement is done.

Bart

CrnCnn
07/14/2008, 02:56 PM
Do it man! You got 2 months to get your VX up to speed. The three of us need to get together and get things fixed. I know Beau is probably in the same boat.

EDIT: Plus, I would really like to see how the boot removal/repack/replacement is done.

Bart

Yeah, I do. Its hard now cause the jeep is really down til its fixed so I dont want to tear apart the VX and break something. When I do it I will let you know so you can watch ;)

nfpgasmask
07/14/2008, 04:31 PM
Yeah, I do. Its hard now cause the jeep is really down til its fixed so I dont want to tear apart the VX and break something. When I do it I will let you know so you can watch ;)

Cool, definitely let me know.

Bart

snowtrooper1966
07/14/2008, 07:41 PM
Thanks for the invite!
I'll probably have to do this solo, since SnowtrooperJR is now with his mom on the weekends. I'll plan on heading up Thursday PM and probably do the motel thing for the evening.
It should be a blast to meet the others...
Best,

taylorRichie
07/14/2008, 09:48 PM
I'll bring some Guns and Ammo. ;)

Wonder if I can get an HKs by then.... hmmm... I'll see about borrowing a Socom II also :D

snowtrooper1966
07/14/2008, 10:22 PM
Ah, taylor!
Now you are speaking Bart's lingo! You two should be inseperable, kind of like the Venture bros...Oh wait, that's been done already.
BTW, Taylor, got the PV, now just have to install it.
Thanks again!
Best,

CrnCnn
07/15/2008, 06:24 AM
If I can ever get my dad ship ship up my ruger I will bring it along. I am trying to think positive about making this one.

taylorRichie
07/15/2008, 06:35 AM
Ah, taylor!
Now you are speaking Bart's lingo! You two should be inseperable, kind of like the Venture bros...Oh wait, that's been done already.
BTW, Taylor, got the PV, now just have to install it.
Thanks again!
Best,

You're welcome!

Should be a fun little get together! If anyone wants to save up some .223/5.56 Ammo you're welcome to use my AR HBAR to shoot it. It has a 16X Long Range Leupold Optic on it.

But it doesn't like Wolf Ammo too much, unless it's Brass cased.

CrnCnn
07/15/2008, 06:50 AM
I like guns, I like to shoot guns, but I am not really a "gun guy." Does that make sense? When Beau and Bart start talking guns my eyes glaze over.

That being said, any specific ammo better for a 9 than others? I get the emails from the ammoman website and wonder if its worth buying in bulk and realy dont know the difference anyway.

taylorRichie
07/15/2008, 07:07 AM
For a 9mm I'd just get whatever... Everything should shoot fine. When you're working with most pistol cartridges the only thing that changes are accuracy and ballistics (as far as penetration, lethality etc.) A pistol isn't accurate to begin with so when you're out plinking why pay a premium. (IMO)

I'm also not a gun guy... or I'm a newb... I just have access to guns, so that's why I've started embracing them ;)

I highly recommend you guys buy a couple bricks of 17HMR (~$13 /50 rounds) You're going to want to shoot my HMR.

It won alot of awards this year... Most accurate gun for the price. Most accurate gun at any price.

nfpgasmask
07/15/2008, 08:24 AM
Thanks for the invite!
I'll probably have to do this solo, since SnowtrooperJR is now with his mom on the weekends. I'll plan on heading up Thursday PM and probably do the motel thing for the evening.
It should be a blast to meet the others...
Best,

James, come up Thursday, and stay at my place. You have proven yourself to be a stand up guy, and I have a spare queen sized bed. Save yourself some cash and buy some extra oil and gas for the trip. :)

Bart

nfpgasmask
07/15/2008, 08:25 AM
I'll bring some Guns and Ammo. ;)

Wonder if I can get an HKs by then.... hmmm... I'll see about borrowing a Socom II also :D

No, no, not see, DO BRING a Socom II. :)

Bart

nfpgasmask
07/15/2008, 08:26 AM
If I can ever get my dad ship ship up my ruger I will bring it along. I am trying to think positive about making this one.

Spell it out for us. Aside from the CV repairs, what else do you need done to come along?

Bart

nfpgasmask
07/15/2008, 08:27 AM
You're welcome!

Should be a fun little get together! If anyone wants to save up some .223/5.56 Ammo you're welcome to use my AR HBAR to shoot it. It has a 16X Long Range Leupold Optic on it.

But it doesn't like Wolf Ammo too much, unless it's Brass cased.

Ahhh, that's too bad. I have 1000 rounds of Wolf .223 sitting here. But that's ok, I will have enough of my own toys....

:evil: Bart

nfpgasmask
07/15/2008, 08:29 AM
What!? Are you saying the VX is not the only SUV to burn up window motors!?

My 2000 Xterra burnt a window motor after about 30k miles! Repaired under warranty and the bill was over $400 for parts and labor, and this was in 2001!

Bart

nfpgasmask
07/15/2008, 08:32 AM
Well I must say, this is shaping up quite nicely. I just need to get the Reno boys on board! :rolleyes:

:) Bart

CrnCnn
07/15/2008, 08:34 AM
What!? Are you saying the VX is not the only SUV to burn up window motors!? :p Something I figured out is that you really may not need to replace the whole window motor... at leaast in the VX. The brushes are what usually give out. If you dig into the door anytime soon, take out the motor and check out the little magnets that are in it - those are all that usually need to be replaced. If any of the magnets remain, you can take that to a Milwaukee, Dewalt, or some other local power tool shop, or maybe a starter repair shop, and compare it to brushes that they have. I recently found the brushes in my electric lawn mower might work as well. The brushes are just so cheap I think it is worth a shot! In the meantime, can you just crank up the window to keep the rain out?

Well I took off the door panel and was trying to figure out what was wrong. It is a cable regulator, which I have never worked on. I determined that the motor was bad or the cables were binding. Turns out the it was the cables. There is a spot where the motor meets the gears that move the cables and one cable came loose and jammed in the gear destroying it. So basically the motor is good. The whole assembly is 100 buck at Kragen so I will just replace the deal.

I have a pair of vice grips holding the window up at the moment. It is sitting at my parents until I can get it fixed. :gring:

CrnCnn
07/15/2008, 08:48 AM
Spell it out for us. Aside from the CV repairs, what else do you need done to come along?

Bart

Well I must say, this is shaping up quite nicely. I just need to get the Reno boys on board! :rolleyes:

Basically it comes down to money.
We are broke and need to fix the Jeep.
We are broke and I have to figure out/fix the VX.
Cari's parents are coming the Aug. 2 until the 9 or 10.
Cari may be going to Tucson to visit family in Sept.

Trust me I want to go.....

nfpgasmask
07/15/2008, 09:23 AM
Basically it comes down to money.
We are broke and need to fix the Jeep.
We are broke and I have to figure out/fix the VX.
Cari's parents are coming the Aug. 2 until the 9 or 10.
Cari may be going to Tucson to visit family in Sept.

Trust me I want to go.....

OK, I hear ya. Just stay positive, we can make it happen!!!

Bart

snowtrooper1966
07/15/2008, 04:19 PM
Thanks for the invite Bart, although I probably will not be standing up the entire time, I would be bumping my head in the Dragon....

taylorRichie
07/15/2008, 04:51 PM
Ahhh, that's too bad. I have 1000 rounds of Wolf .223 sitting here. But that's ok, I will have enough of my own toys....

:evil: Bart

Bring some... I'll give it a good cleaning before we go. If it's 55 grain (which I'm sure it is) Then it'll shoot, It just doesn't cycle well... If I bring a can of Gun oil then we can go through the entire 1000 with probably 20 jams ;)

nfpgasmask
07/16/2008, 09:45 AM
Bring some... I'll give it a good cleaning before we go. If it's 55 grain (which I'm sure it is) Then it'll shoot, It just doesn't cycle well... If I bring a can of Gun oil then we can go through the entire 1000 with probably 20 jams ;)

Will do. I'll bring 50 rounds or so....

Bart

nfpgasmask
07/16/2008, 10:14 AM
I was thinking last night, and I just want to make sure that everyone on the list here knows that this trip may turn out to be several nights of REAL CAMPING.

At minimum, that means:

1) No showers
2) No toilets
3) No water
4) No gas stations for miles

If we camp on BLM land Friday night, and then go south Saturday to the Ruby Mountains area, there may be "Campsites" there. I have not researched it fully, but I will get on that now.

I just want everyone to be prepared. I will be bringing 10 gallons of extra gas, and probably 10-15 gallons of water. Personally, I love being detached from civilization for as long as possible, but I will have the wife with me so I will probably be procuring some sort of camp shower so we can rinse off. I also have a portable crapper now that works pretty good, which is something you guys can consider getting. Or, if you want to use mine, just bring 2-3 WAG BAGs for each day of camping, depending on how much you poop:

http://www.maydayindustries.com/img/sanitary_supplies/pp21a.jpg

REI carries them or you can get them online. Or you can just go the old fashion way. :)

Has anyone ever been to the Ruby Mountains area? I hear it is really beautiful, but I honestly have no idea what to expect. I'll post more info about the area as I find out.

Bart

taylorRichie
07/17/2008, 06:47 AM
I haven't done any other kind of camping for a long time... :D

I'll bring a shovel if the dirt will be provided. And of course plenty of water, and I need to get some decent gas cans and get that system worked out.

Bart can you link me to your buddy in Chicago who does the CO2 kits? I think I'll get a 10# kit in the next couple weeks.

Never been to the Ruby Mountains...

nfpgasmask
07/17/2008, 08:13 AM
Here you go:

http://www.4wheelair.com

Tell him I sent you. His name is Tom.

nfpgasmask
07/21/2008, 02:23 PM
Along with my shotty, I will have the little guns with me too! My childhood silhouette shooter - Ruger Mark I .22 and an air gun :o I just ordered... what can I say, I want to shoot at home! Check it out though... the Russian Baikal IZH-61: http://www.network54.com/Forum/79537/message/1215685124/Scoping+the+IZH+61+(From+a+previous+post)

Damn, that this is pretty sick looking. What does it shoot? Pellets? BBs? Airsoft BBs?

Bart

nfpgasmask
07/21/2008, 02:33 PM
.177 Match pellets - I think at 750 fps.

Ouch. Those would sting and then some probably. My brother wants me to buy an airsoft gun so we can shoot eachother.

Bart

nfpgasmask
07/21/2008, 03:26 PM
HAHA! Did your brother move to Reno too?

Yeah, he's here...

Bart

Ascinder
07/21/2008, 05:08 PM
My brother wants me to buy an airsoft gun so we can shoot eachother.

So are you going to?

taylorRichie
07/21/2008, 05:14 PM
I have a Baikal DROZD with a long barrel and HPA bulk. I shoot Steel BBs at nearly 800FPS, and I can shoot 1200RPM (30 shots in 1.5 seconds)

:D

I haven't shot it for a long time though :(

nfpgasmask
07/21/2008, 05:44 PM
So are you going to?

My problem is this, I would by an airsoft gun, but I only want quality. And to get quality, I would need to spend $400+/-. And for that kind of money I would rather just buy another real gun. :)

Bart

Ascinder
07/21/2008, 06:20 PM
But then you can only play once:eek: I'm sure you can find a decent servicable gun for way less than 4 bills. I mean it's not something you'll be handing down to your grandkids one day, it only needs to reliably shoot something out with each trigger pull.:bwgy:

snowtrooper1966
07/21/2008, 06:50 PM
I may be out of place on this trip. The only thing I have to shoot off is my mouth;)

Ascinder
07/21/2008, 08:19 PM
Oh, I think there will be tons of extra hardware lying around for you to play with, we should all throw out some lists of what ammo to bring for all the "movie props". I'll start: .308 Winchester(AKA 7.62x54) and .40 cal.

nfpgasmask
07/21/2008, 10:35 PM
Yeah, totally. Anyone who wants to shoot anything I am bringing, just pick up however much ammo you want to blow through. I don't mind giving away a few clips here and there, but ammo is getting pricey. You are all welcome to shoot my .22 all you want though, since $15 will buy you 500 rounds. Everything else is quite a bit more pricey than that.

James, you will want to shoot my Saiga 12. So go to Walmart and pick up one of those boxes of 100 shells, usually about $22-$25. You will enjoy it, trust me.

Other stuff I will bring eats:

9mm
7.62x39
12 guage

That's about it.

Ldub, you are gonna make the drive down to Elko, right? :p

Bart

CrnCnn
07/22/2008, 06:22 AM
I moved my response. Even if I have to go without front CV's installed I am there.

snowtrooper1966
07/22/2008, 07:39 AM
^:jump:
OK Then, you can keep the fob....
Best,

nfpgasmask
07/22/2008, 08:34 AM
I moved my response. Even if I have to go without front CV's installed I am there.

Now that's what I am talking about.

nfpgasmask
07/22/2008, 08:34 AM
OK where is Idaho?

Bart

nfpgasmask
07/28/2008, 03:02 PM
So does anyone have any ideas on where to meet up in Elko? I have never really been there, but I can see if there is like a common landmark where we can all meet up Friday.

Bart

nfpgasmask
07/28/2008, 03:24 PM
How about here: http://www.yelp.com/biz/smiths-food-and-drug-centers-inc-elko

Hey, works for me! Good idea, that way we can stock up on any extra food/ice/water/etc before we head out.

Now, I have been looking online and talking to some people on an Elko 4x4 forum and one of the suggestions was to go north to the "jack creek canyon" area, but I think this is national park land possibly. And with the toys we are bringing I would like to camp on BLM land at least one of the nights, if not all. Sometime this week I will get out my topo maps for Nevada and see what I can see and post back.

Bart

nfpgasmask
07/28/2008, 04:46 PM
Hey everyone,

I have been talking to a couple guys on this forum:

http://www.banginbones.com/forum.shtml

One of the guys seems to know the area pretty well and offered to show us around. I didn't agree to anything yet, as I wanted to get a consensus from everyone who is coming. I have no idea who the dude is, but he seems somewhat keen to meet us and our VXes. I have no opinion either way, so I just wanted to see what you guys think before I reply with a yes or a no on having him give us a tour...

Bart

snowtrooper1966
07/28/2008, 07:14 PM
What does he drive?

nfpgasmask
07/28/2008, 08:41 PM
Since we are going in pretty much blind it might be a good idea to have a... um... good idea... of where we could and/or should go. When he says "tour", I would like to know more about what that means... so color me curious.

I'll reply back and see if I can get a little more info on what/where he would like to take us. Honestly, I would like to see some of the natural areas out there, so maybe it would be a good idea.

What does he drive?

Well, considering his name on that forum, I would say a Hummer. :)

Bart

nfpgasmask
07/29/2008, 08:27 AM
Hummerboy seems to be on his game and jazzed to have some people to chill with. I'm cool with a tour or whatever, I know we are going to have a good time with good pics no matter where we decide to go. How are you going to include a Hummer in your movie tho? :p

Yeah, I will see what I can work out with him. That reminds me, I need to update the movie thread. I drew up a storyboard for the opening. I just haven't had a chance to scan it. I will try to tonight.

Bart

Todd Adams
07/29/2008, 08:27 AM
We are thinking about this. I can't find much info about the area. Jeepers Jamboree does hold an event in the Ruby Mountains every year but no details as to exactly what trails.
Todd

nfpgasmask
07/29/2008, 08:33 AM
We are thinking about this. I can't find much info about the area. Jeepers Jamboree does hold an event in the Ruby Mountains every year but no details as to exactly what trails.
Todd

Cool, Todd!! It would be good to have you along for the fun! I'm gonna keep talking with Hummerboy and see what kind of trails he has in mind.

Bart

Todd Adams
07/29/2008, 09:19 AM
Cool, Todd!! It would be good to have you along for the fun! I'm gonna keep talking with Hummerboy and see what kind of trails he has in mind.

Bart

If we come we may bring the family (3 rigs). I registered on their forum but yet to post. I would like a description of trails (they host the Jeepers Jamboree) since I would want to run some of their more aggressive trails.
Ken mentioned a national park north of Elko. No such thing as far as I know except that I heard some guy is trying to make that happen but I seem to remember Ruby Mountains not where he was talking about. Took 30 years to get Great Basin in as a national park.

nfpgasmask
07/29/2008, 09:30 AM
If we come we may bring the family (3 rigs). I registered on their forum but yet to post. I would like a description of trails (they host the Jeepers Jamboree) since I would want to run some of their more aggressive trails.
Ken mentioned a national park north of Elko. No such thing as far as I know except that I heard some guy is trying to make that happen but I seem to remember Ruby Mountains not where he was talking about. Took 30 years to get Great Basin in as a national park.

Hey man, the more the merrier. I don't see any issues with that. I'm sure you would have fun.

I think maybe he meant National Forrest and not National Park. I am pretty sure much of that area is Toiyabe National Forest.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r4/htnf/images/H-T-map.gif

If you look at that map, the green area above Elko is probably what he was talking about. I am pretty sure there is some nice scenery in that area.

Bart

nfpgasmask
08/04/2008, 10:38 AM
OK, so this area is north about 1.5 hours from Elko and looks nice. I found this campsite:

http://www.campingguidenevada.com/cgnes/frames/counties/nv/elko/wildhorsecrossing.html

They have vault toilets there. So for the ladies going along, can you guys handle this? I looked at all the other campsites in this area and none of them seem to have running water or showers.

http://www.campingguidenevada.com/cgnes/frames/usfs/humboldt-toiyabe/mountaincityjarbidgerd.html

Then there is the Ruby Lake area south of Elko, I think this area is about 2 hours south, and here we have piped water and vault crappers.

http://www.campingguidenevada.com/cgnes/frames/counties/nv/elko/rubymarsh.html

This one also looks nice:

http://www.campingguidenevada.com/cgnes/maps/Sections/b7.html

Personally, I would not mind camping 2 nights at one site, and then moving to another site for the 3rd night so we can see more of the area. I have absolutely no idea how crowded it will be there, but I will try to get an idea from HummerBoy.

I am trying to find spots where my wife will be more comfortable so she can come along.

Bart

snowtrooper1966
08/04/2008, 05:29 PM
Thanks for the hard work, Bart!
I am not too sure about the first campsite. No trees and it says it's very bust during hunting season.
I would prefer to stay @ one site so as not to spend too much of the limited vacation time setting up and breaking camp.....

nfpgasmask
08/04/2008, 07:27 PM
Thanks for the hard work, Bart!
I am not too sure about the first campsite. No trees and it says it's very bust during hunting season.
I would prefer to stay @ one site so as not to spend too much of the limited vacation time setting up and breaking camp.....

Yeah, I suppose, with a tent like yours I don't blame you!! ;) That's fine with me. This one is the one I would like to stay at:

http://www.campingguidenevada.com/cgnes/listingALLnophoto.asp?campcode=NVELKTHO

Its supposed to be one of the most scenic campsites in Nevada. I looked at all the sites and they are all first come-first served so I am trying to see if maybe HummerBoy can help out.

Bart

snowtrooper1966
08/04/2008, 08:04 PM
Yea, that tent is big!
Too funny, going through all the sites earlier, that is the one I liked best!
Must be the one.
Now we have ROM, the Dark Knight and the Thomas Canyon campground;)
Best,

nfpgasmask
08/04/2008, 08:52 PM
Yea, that tent is big!
Too funny, going through all the sites earlier, that is the one I liked best!
Must be the one.
Now we have ROM, the Dark Knight and the Thomas Canyon campground;)
Best,

Does your VX still have the tape deck? I'll bring the Rom tape. :) They really need to bring Rom to the silver screen and make it cool and dark like Batman, oh that would be great!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktFvrEQKdjw

:)
Bart

snowtrooper1966
08/04/2008, 10:46 PM
Tape deck, what's that?;)
Yes, that cassette is a must bring item!
I remember seeing that commercial way back, thanks for the flashback!

ROM: the Dark Spaceknight

Has much potential!

Best,

nfpgasmask
08/06/2008, 09:25 AM
OK guys, I just got off the phone with the recreation.gov people about campsites out there.

This spot has openings:

It looks pretty nice. The Thomas Canyon site is completely booked, and there may or may not be any sites left for first come, first serve. The Ruby Marsh site looks nice, and I can book it. The problem is, according to them, we would need 4 sites, since you can only have 2 vehicles per site (:mad:). The sites are $12/night. So if we got 4 sites to accomodate 7-8 vehicles, that would be $144. I am willing to book these spots for us, so long as everyone is willing to divvy up the cost. It won't be that much if we all chip in.

So let's hear back from you guys asap so I can reserve a spot. If no one wants to go this route, we can always take our chances on a first come, first serve basis, or just find something out on BLM land. Its all up to you guys. I would be down with camping outside the actual campsites, but the wife isn't. I know Cari and Megan will probably appreciate a semi-real toilet as well. Richie, is Brittney coming as well?

Also, I need to find out about dogs, but I am sure we will be ok. CeCe will be with us and I am guessing Menace and another Doberman as well?

Bart

nfpgasmask
08/06/2008, 01:15 PM
You lead, I follow. I'll pay up my share for what you find. I think Menace will be staying at home this time around. Too many guns around and I don't know what he'd do. Thanks for everything you are doing, Bartman! :bwgy:

OK, one down, hopefully I will hear from the rest of the group by the end of today so I can decide what to do. If everyone is down I will book the site tomorrow. This was, we have a destination and a little bit of a plan.

Thanks- Bart

snowtrooper1966
08/06/2008, 02:42 PM
Book'em Barto!

CrnCnn
08/06/2008, 03:37 PM
We are down for whatever. Gracie may not come, but its still a possibility, my parents can watch her. CeCe could probly stay with them too.

taylorRichie
08/06/2008, 04:24 PM
Brittany Will be coming... But I'm having issues right now...

I Found out Monday I have a Tumor in my foot, the doc wants to take it out ASAP, but I'm trying to push it until Late Sept/oct. When I have the surgery I'll be out for 4 weeks. As in, no driving a vehicle (right foot).

So, it's going to interfere with my summer no matter what :(

The campground sounds great to me, but there's that chance I won't make the trip :cryy:

edit: and Bender won't be joining us.

nfpgasmask
08/06/2008, 07:41 PM
Brittany Will be coming... But I'm having issues right now...

I Found out Monday I have a Tumor in my foot, the doc wants to take it out ASAP, but I'm trying to push it until Late Sept/oct. When I have the surgery I'll be out for 4 weeks. As in, no driving a vehicle (right foot).

So, it's going to interfere with my summer no matter what :(

The campground sounds great to me, but there's that chance I won't make the trip :cryy:

edit: and Bender won't be joining us.

That sucks, well, if you drop out and Todd does not come then we only need 3 sites. When I call tomorrow I will see if I can book 4 sites with the possibility of cancelling the 4th site if you don't come. When do you think you will know? A tumor in your foot? I have never heard of such a thing! :confused: Do what you gotta do to take care of that foot, but I still hope you can make it.

Bart

taylorRichie
08/06/2008, 09:21 PM
Yeah freakin' weird...

Went to the doctor (podiatrist) on the 26th, because I had some pain and swelling on my right foot, great toe. He took a look at it (30 seconds) said this is really weird. It's a soft tissue something or other, Like a cyst or a tumor. Let's get some X-rays to be safe. X-rays showed nothing wrong with the bones just a little wear from where the soft tissue mass was rubbing.

He scheduled an MRI for the 31st, I got the MRI, went back the 4th for the results, and it turns out it's a Giant Cell Tumor.

He said This is an extremely bizarre case (not that I wanted to be a bizzarre case, his words)

So he wants to get it out ASAP, he's confident it's benign, only 5% of GCT are malignant and 5% can progress to become malignant.

3 days off the foot after surgery, 2 weeks in a hard cast, and 2 weeks in a soft cast.

:( Pretty lame.

I'll let you know as soon as I know. But I'm Planning on going still.

nfpgasmask
08/06/2008, 10:18 PM
Yeah freakin' weird...

Went to the doctor (podiatrist) on the 26th, because I had some pain and swelling on my right foot, great toe. He took a look at it (30 seconds) said this is really weird. It's a soft tissue something or other, Like a cyst or a tumor. Let's get some X-rays to be safe. X-rays showed nothing wrong with the bones just a little wear from where the soft tissue mass was rubbing.

He scheduled an MRI for the 31st, I got the MRI, went back the 4th for the results, and it turns out it's a Giant Cell Tumor.

He said This is an extremely bizarre case (not that I wanted to be a bizzarre case, his words)

So he wants to get it out ASAP, he's confident it's benign, only 5% of GCT are malignant and 5% can progress to become malignant.

3 days off the foot after surgery, 2 weeks in a hard cast, and 2 weeks in a soft cast.

:( Pretty lame.

I'll let you know as soon as I know. But I'm Planning on going still.

Yeah, its only your foot, its not that important! :eek: :rolleyes: :)

Bart

nfpgasmask
08/07/2008, 09:38 AM
OK!

I just got off the phone with the reservations people. I booked 3 sites at the South Ruby Campground. Sites 22, 23, and 24.

She said we do not need a fourth site, since there is an overflow parking area for sites that have more than 2 vehicles, but I am sure we can get away with 3 little VXes in one site without much hassle.

The total cost to reserve with all the BS fees and what not comes to $138 for all three sites, for three nights. It breaks down like so:

3 sites at $12 per night plus a $10 reservation fee per site = $138.

So I figure we can just split up the cost bewtween all of us and it will be pretty cheap that way.

So the plan is:

Meet at Smiths in Elko (1740 Mountain City Hwy) between 5-6pm on Friday, August 29th. Once everyone is together and ready to head out, we will drive south to the campsite and setup camp, hopefully getting down to the campsite no later than 7:30pm. I have reservation numbers for each site. There are toilets at this site and piped water. We should all fill up with gas in Elko since that is the closest station to the campsite.

See you all in a couple weeks!

Bart

nfpgasmask
08/07/2008, 01:40 PM
Nice work, Capt'n!

Thanks, son!

snowtrooper1966
08/11/2008, 05:57 PM
You da man, thanks!

taylorRichie
08/12/2008, 07:34 AM
Thanks Bart... Still planning on going...

Just trying to figure out how to buy enough Ammo... an MRI of my foot was $2,200!!! You know what I could buy with that? I could have Line-x'd my entire VX :(

Lame...

nfpgasmask
08/12/2008, 08:28 AM
Thanks Bart... Still planning on going...

Just trying to figure out how to buy enough Ammo... an MRI of my foot was $2,200!!! You know what I could buy with that? I could have Line-x'd my entire VX :(

Lame...

Ummm, don't you have health insurance through work or anything? :confused: Ouch! That sucks. Yeah, you could have bought like10,000 rounds of 7.62 or something. I wouldn't worry too much about ammo. I think I am going to bring my Saiga 12, my P22 and my AK. That should be fun enough. As for ammo, .22 and 12 guage is relatively cheap. I'd say I will bring 300-400 rounds of 7.62 and hopefully have some left when we are done!

EDIT: By the way, what news do you have about your foot? Everything ok or is it serious?

taylorRichie
08/12/2008, 05:47 PM
I have bad insurance... :D I've never used insurance in my life, and this is the first time... Looks like I'm going to be paying $650 for the MRI and first visit, and probably ~$200 for the surgery, so not too bad.

As for the foot, I don't think it's serious, the doctor isn't "worried" but won't know for certain until it's removed, and looked at under the microscope if it's malignant (only 5% are) I'm more worried that it's going to screw up my summer/fall ;)

As for guns, I'll be bringing my AR15, 17HMR, and Brit will bring her 22lr. And I'll see about getting a SocomII

So you should bring some 5.56, Even if it's wolf 55, just may need to unclear it every so often, or I may just give it a REALLY good cleaning.

HMR ammo is ~$15 per 50 rounds and I highly recommend you all buy atleast one brick, it's the funnest, most accurate gun for the money bar none :D

circmand
08/13/2008, 08:34 AM
I just read in the paper this morning that Elko has the highest gas prices in Nevada. Where everyone else has come down 40 cents a gallon recently Elko has come down a nickel. And I thought Searchlight was bad.

nfpgasmask
08/13/2008, 09:30 AM
I just read in the paper this morning that Elko has the highest gas prices in Nevada. Where everyone else has come down 40 cents a gallon recently Elko has come down a nickel. And I thought Searchlight was bad.

Yeah, all of the "remote" areas of Nevada have stupid high gas prices. I figure we don't have a choice. I was going to bring 10 gallons of gas with, but since we will most likely be within 100 miles of Elko the whole time, as long as we fill up before we leave town we should be fine.

Bart

nfpgasmask
08/20/2008, 09:50 AM
So, getting close, my friends. I've been thinking about gas. The campsite is about 60 miles south of Elko, which is where the nearest service station is. Now that's fine, but if we decide to take day trip out for wheeling, shooting, etc, we may run into some issues, especially those of us who get 200-240 per tank. What do you guys think? Are we all going to bring auxillery gas cans?

Bart

nfpgasmask
08/20/2008, 03:42 PM
I guess I will bring an extra container of fuel, just to be safe. Bart, can I just buy some ammo off you to use? I don't know where to look for that stuff around these parts and you can probably buy it cheaper than I could anyway. Is that cool? Gas and ammo together... sounds like the Hershey squirts!

Sure, I mean, we can all share a little. I usually mail order all my ammo from ammoman.com. He has pretty good prices and free shipping. But if you could, go to Walmart and buy as many boxes of 12guage as you want. They usually sell the 100 shell boxes of 8 or 7.5 shot for like $22. I would pic up 2 boxes of that because you will want to shoot the Saiga 12 as much as possible. I think I am going to bring my AK, SKS, Saiga 12 and my .22 pistol. So the only expensive ammo I will have with me is 7.62x39.

Bart

nfpgasmask
08/20/2008, 03:54 PM
BTW - does anyone have a clay pigeon thrower?

Bart

nfpgasmask
08/20/2008, 04:08 PM
Oh, my ammo is covered, I just mean ammo for your guns!

Well, like I said, I will have 12 guage, .22lr and 7.62x39. .22lr is dirt cheap, and 12 guage ain't too bad either. Just bring enough 12 for your own gun, and how ever much you wan to shoot out of this:

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/admin/images/content/tromix12green.jpg

Trust me, you will enjoy it. I just don't need to be hauling 4 extra ammo cans full of 12 guage, that stuff is heavy!

snowtrooper1966
08/20/2008, 04:36 PM
Getting close!
I will be bringing the family, and heading up to Reno on Thursday night. Do you have any recommendations for a hotel/motel near you?
Best,
James

nfpgasmask
08/20/2008, 04:46 PM
Getting close!
I will be bringing the family, and heading up to Reno on Thursday night. Do you have any recommendations for a hotel/motel near you?
Best,
James

Hey, so the boy is coming? How many people in "the family"? We have a queen sized bed, but its up to you. I have never stayed in a hotel here but once, and it was the Holiday Inn and it was kinda crappy. I would imagine all the Casinos have decent rooms. Try Atlantis, the Peppermill, etc. I am always kinda partial to Hampton Inns as well. They are usually clean and not to expensive.

CrnCnn/Ascinder: You guys ready?

We'll see.

Bart

taylorRichie
08/20/2008, 06:12 PM
Things are looking NOT GOOD!! :( :( :(

I have 2 deadlines to meet by September 15th, one is 250 hours, and one is 80 hours...

so I'm scrambling... trying to get everyone at the office in on them. I'll keep you posted

CrnCnn
08/20/2008, 06:13 PM
Right now, I don't even know if Linda is coming. She is not happy about 3 straight days of "real" camping (no shower, no sink, etc)

We'll see.

Bart

Megan is going, and she can handle it than so can Linda.....

I guess we are ready. Finally got my gun and shot it, Cari is better than me BTW....:_confused ... But I was more unloading than aiming.... thats my story and im sticking to it.

I will be three wheel drive, unless we have some extra money and the axles from the trooper fit. I hope it wont hurt to drive that far without an axle in the right side...

nfpgasmask
08/20/2008, 07:21 PM

I guess we are ready. Finally got my gun and shot it, Cari is better than me BTW....:_confused ... But I was more unloading than aiming.... thats my story and im sticking to it.

I will be three wheel drive, unless we have some extra money and the axles from the trooper fit. I hope it wont hurt to drive that far without an axle in the right side...

Have you heard from Beau or Megan? Good news on the pistol!!!

I think your VX should be fine. But do you think maybe you should take them both out? I don't know how it would effect the TOD, if at all. Maybe this question warrants a new thread?

Bart

nfpgasmask
08/20/2008, 07:22 PM
Things are looking NOT GOOD!! :( :( :(

I have 2 deadlines to meet by September 15th, one is 250 hours, and one is 80 hours...

so I'm scrambling... trying to get everyone at the office in on them. I'll keep you posted

So what you are saying is you might have to work on Labor Day weekend?

Bart

taylorRichie
08/20/2008, 07:55 PM
Yeah... pretty lame eh... I guess when you work for a small business... and in a deadline driven industry :( that's what can happen...

But it'll be the entire weekend... not just labor day... Unless I can get enough done this week(end) and next before Thurs.

nfpgasmask
08/20/2008, 07:58 PM
Unless I can get enough done this week(end) and next before Thurs.

DO IT!

CrnCnn
08/20/2008, 08:01 PM
Have you heard from Beau or Megan? Good news on the pistol!!!

I think your VX should be fine. But do you think maybe you should take them both out? I don't know how it would effect the TOD, if at all. Maybe this question warrants a new thread?

Bart

Cari talked to Megan. I have called beau a while ago but heard nothing back. But that happened with another VX owner recently too so I figured it was nothing new...;)

I may start a thread about the CV's or add on to one of my old ones.

nfpgasmask
08/20/2008, 09:13 PM
Cari talked to Megan. I have called beau a while ago but heard nothing back. But that happened with another VX owner recently too so I figured it was nothing new...;)

I may start a thread about the CV's or add on to one of my old ones.

I'll give him a call tomorrow and see what he is up to.

Bart

Todd Adams
08/21/2008, 06:13 AM

You won't have 3 wheel drive. Without both front axles you will only have rear wheel drive no matter what. The only way you would have 3 wheel drive is with a front locker and I don't remember you having that.
Todd

CrnCnn
08/21/2008, 07:36 AM
You won't have 3 wheel drive. Without both front axles you will only have rear wheel drive no matter what. The only way you would have 3 wheel drive is with a front locker and I don't remember you having that.
Todd

I figured that, I was just kinda stating that one axle is removed. No locker for me... So do you think it will hurt anything?

nfpgasmask
08/21/2008, 08:18 AM
Got it, 22's and 12's - I can locate that easy enough... already have 'em! I was hoping I would have my Ruger Mark I .22 pistol with me too but it's a no go. Love that plinker! That is one crazy looking 12 you got there kid! How much was that?

Too much. :)

Bart

snowtrooper1966
08/21/2008, 04:39 PM
Hey, so the boy is coming? How many people in "the family"? We have a queen sized bed, but its up to you. I have never stayed in a hotel here but once, and it was the Holiday Inn and it was kinda crappy. I would imagine all the Casinos have decent rooms. Try Atlantis, the Peppermill, etc. I am always kinda partial to Hampton Inns as well. They are usually clean and not to expensive.

Right now, I don't even know if Linda is coming. She is not happy about 3 straight days of "real" camping (no shower, no sink, etc)

We'll see.

Bart

Yes, the boy and his mom.
I'll look into the Hampton. I appreciate the offer, Bart, but the fam is high maintenance, even just for one night;)
Best,

CrnCnn
08/21/2008, 10:48 PM
Yes, the boy and his mom.
I'll look into the Hampton. I appreciate the offer, Bart, but the fam is high maintenance, even just for one night;)
Best,

Apperently the peppermill is reasonable. I have never stayed there though so I couldnt speak to the quality. There are some on Bart's and mine side of town but they are pricy I think. One is brand spankin new, only been open a few months.

Found this, thought you might enjoy it....
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f180/Jimmylongwong/Gifs/22427964op6.gif

snowtrooper1966
08/22/2008, 03:34 PM
Peppermill looks good, thanks!
Thx for the dancing Yoda too! Needed to squirt soda out of my nose;)
Best,

CrnCnn
08/23/2008, 09:40 AM
Peppermill looks good, thanks!
Thx for the dancing Yoda too! Needed to squirt soda out of my nose;)
Best,

Sure. Here one of Darth you might like
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f180/Jimmylongwong/Gifs/86yyhdx.gif

CrnCnn
08/23/2008, 03:02 PM
Well we were trying but it looks like we are out. We are still trying to catch up from Moab so its not smart for us to go.

Sorry.

nfpgasmask
08/23/2008, 04:03 PM
Well, who is left now?

I need to know since I already fronted up money to reserve the campsites and now I am gonna be out that money or at least a cancellation fee for the sites. Please RSVP with your absolute response so I can call on Monday and see if I can cancel 1 or 2 of the sites.

Thanks - Bart

CrnCnn
08/23/2008, 11:32 PM
Well, who is left now?

I need to know since I already fronted up money to reserve the campsites and now I am gonna be out that money or at least a cancellation fee for the sites. Please RSVP with your absolute response so I can call on Monday and see if I can cancel 1 or 2 of the sites.

Thanks - Bart

if your going to be out money because of us let us know how much and we will work it out.

nfpgasmask
08/24/2008, 11:25 AM
OK everyone, we have had three people drop from the list (Ascinder has not replied yet, but he told me he is not going cause he has to work).

At this point, I am ready to cancel the whole thing. My wife doesn't wanna go, Richard, Clint and Beau are out. I know Richie said he might have to work which leave me, Justin and James. Not that I don't wanna go but I am a little discouraged at this point.

Bart

CrnCnn
08/25/2008, 08:06 AM
The person who is best prepared ahead of time is the person who gets punished the worse when those he depends on flake out. Speaking of getting burned

So I am a flake? OK, well how many on this thread or anywhere feel that way so I know where I stand.

nfpgasmask
08/25/2008, 08:07 AM
Yeah, at this point, I am cancelling the trip alltogether. Maybe we can try for another weekend.

Sorry fellas, I guess it didn't work out. Hopefully I can cancel the reservations still and not get dinged to hard. I know there is a cancellation fee, but hopefully they will be nice and not hit me for all three sites. I hope I have enough time to cancel.

Justin, come over to Reno in your new Jeep and we can run the Rubi or the Fordyce Creek Trail. Seriously, anytime, bro. We got 2 spare beds.

Bart

nfpgasmask
08/25/2008, 08:11 AM
Clint, don't overreact, buddy. The only problem I have is that people should have said "maybe" instead of "yes". Like I said, hopefully I won't get dinged on the $138 worth of campsites I booked.

Bart

CrnCnn
08/25/2008, 08:14 AM
Clint, don't overreact, buddy. The only problem I have is that people should have said "maybe" instead of "yes". Like I said, hopefully I won't get dinged on the $138 worth of campsites I booked.

Bart

Im not over reacting. I dont know why im being called a flake. Life happens and unfortunately I cant afford it. I said Yes instead of Maybe because we WERE going.

and like i said if out money I will help with what I can.

CrnCnn
08/25/2008, 08:45 AM
Well whatever I am, I am sorry, I appear to have been the one who broke the Camels back.

nfpgasmask
08/25/2008, 09:07 AM
Clint, not really, it just seemed like everyone cancelled on the trip at the same time all of a sudden. I saw you and Cari on Friday night and everything seemed cool, and then Saturday it was a no go for half the crew. Its really not a big deal.

I called and cancelled. I will be charged a total of $60 ($10 fee per site, plus my $10 non-refundable reservation fee). For those who cancelled, don't worry about the money, just kick in a little to the forum for me. :)

Bart

nfpgasmask
08/25/2008, 09:08 AM
***THIS MEET IS OFFICIALLY CANCELLED***

taylorRichie
08/25/2008, 10:56 AM
GRRRRR!!!!

Just got the message :_crying::_crying::_crying:

I worked extra hard this weekend!! :(

No worries though I'll still be able to make use of my weekend.

Let me know where to paypal you... I love supporting this site, and will continue to support it... but If you don't mind I'd like to send the money to you this time ;)

nfpgasmask
08/25/2008, 11:02 AM
GRRRRR!!!!

Just got the message :_crying::_crying::_crying:

I worked extra hard this weekend!! :(

No worries though I'll still be able to make use of my weekend.

Let me know where to paypal you... I love supporting this site, and will continue to support it... but If you don't mind I'd like to send the money to you this time ;)

Thanks, but don't worry about, seriously. Not a big deal. We will make it happen another time.

Bart

cyronman
08/25/2008, 01:35 PM
Damn,

I've kept my eye on this thread with a realistically slight chance of even coming this weekend.
Never said anything just for the fact that I didn't think it would work out (for me).

You guys can plan for Billy's camping meet in AZ in a couple months.
Longer drive for yous guys and no guns (I don't think), but should be a great time.

Cy

snowtrooper1966
08/25/2008, 02:08 PM
Gggrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!

snowtrooper1966
08/25/2008, 02:09 PM
Anyone down for spending the time in Mammoth?

nfpgasmask
08/25/2008, 02:50 PM
Anyone down for spending the time in Mammoth?

You know, I thought about that for a minute. I'm not sure yet. Perhaps. There were a lot of other trails down there that looked tasty. I just don't know yet. I might just camp around here a little. Not sure.

Sorry James.

Bart

Ldub
08/25/2008, 02:56 PM
Apperently the peppermill is reasonable. I have never stayed there though so I couldnt speak to the quality. There are some on Bart's and mine side of town but they are pricy I think. One is brand spankin new, only been open a few months.

Found this, thought you might enjoy it....
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f180/Jimmylongwong/Gifs/22427964op6.gif

Sure. Here one of Darth you might like
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f180/Jimmylongwong/Gifs/86yyhdx.gif

Well whatever I am, I am sorry, I appear to have been the one who broke the Camels back.

***THIS MEET IS OFFICIALLY CANCELLED***

I think it was all the star wars imagery that was the deal breaker...:razzgray:
I've been lurking this thread, and everything was coming together nicely, until yoda & darth appeared...then the feces started to hit the proverbial fan...:smilewink

Don't feel too bad Clint, as you said, life happens & rarely goes as planned.

Ldub
08/25/2008, 03:19 PM
Damn Jedis ruin everything!

Guess the "force" wasn't strong in favor of this meet...look at the bright side, it most likely came undone for reasons never to be seen by mere mortals...:cool:
Like maybe to prevent a nasty firearms incedent, or a not too pretty trail mishap...:sighwgray

Ya just never know, but everything does, or doesn't, happen for a reason...:naughty:

nfpgasmask
08/25/2008, 03:28 PM
Ya just never know, but everything does, or doesn't, happen for a reason.

You are exactly right, and none of us on here need to be involved in a nasty firearms incident, which would have most likely been Justin's fault! :laughing:

Bart

Ldub
08/25/2008, 03:42 PM
You are exactly right, and none of us on here need to be involved in a nasty firearms incident, which would have most likely been Justin's fault! :laughing:

Bart

:laughgray...:rolleyesg...:laughgray

kodiak
08/25/2008, 05:15 PM
A Crap! I don’t start this cascade of cancelations did I?:confused: Sorry I didn’t say something sooner. I didn’t know if I was going to need to cancel entail 3 days ago. I was really looking foreword to this trip. I even setup and full editing studio on my laptop for the movie. Life can really suck sometimes. Thanks again Bart for setting this all up for us and if you won’t take money then it’s going to Scott.:(

nfpgasmask
08/26/2008, 08:16 AM
Yeah, if there is anyone to blame its probably me. I was excited when we had a big crew coming, and then when people started dropping off I got discouraged. No biggie. We will reshedule the trip for sheezey.

That said, lets all make the best of the weekend and try to take some cool VX pictures no matter what!

Bart

CrnCnn
08/26/2008, 10:35 AM
We might make a day trip out to a lake so I can finally get in my canoe. My check engine came on though, so who knows.

nfpgasmask
08/26/2008, 11:09 AM
My check engine came on though, so who knows.

Hmmm, anything running weird? If it doesn't go out, let me know. We can attach my scanguage and retrieve the code.

Bart

snowtrooper1966
08/26/2008, 04:17 PM
I think it was all the star wars imagery that was the deal breaker...:razzgray:
I've been lurking this thread, and everything was coming together nicely, until yoda & darth appeared...then the feces started to hit the proverbial fan...:smilewink

OK, dub..
As if it wasn't bad enough the trip fell through, now you have to start jabbing your pointy "finger 'O death" and blaming Jedi:(

Seriously, it must not have been meant to be...It was starting to sound like a firearms accident waiting to happen;)

Surprisingly, my girl is more bummed than me I think. She was really looking forward to meeting you all and seeing the VX squadron!

Guess I can just save the dough to put in the Moab fund!

Have a great weekend, all!

Best,

taylorRichie
08/26/2008, 05:22 PM
Well I've got a nice backup planned now...

Motorcycle Trip Route (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&saddr=12th+St%2FUT-39+%4041.244300,+-111.969960&daddr=42.000325,-111.398621+to:WY-22+%4043.480550,+-110.815370+to:US-212+%4045.155710,+-109.270520+to:S+27th+St%2FMT-3+N+%4045.775050,+-108.496910+to:US-20+%4043.258920,+-108.110650+to:I-80+W+%4041.602800,+-109.150830+to:US-191+%4040.878580,+-109.462600+to:I-15+S+%4040.516060,+-111.891290&hl=en&geocode=5515558025108860402,41.244300,-111.969960%3B%3B16281433569339727116,43.480550,-110.815370%3B7655918064149882523,45.155710,-109.270520%3B17055625210853777947,45.775050,-108.496910%3B17511745013685674684,43.258920,-108.110650%3B10328881883765385578,41.602800,-109.150830%3B12483420859809353507,40.878580,-109.462600%3B9069595288677950531,40.516060,-111.891290&mra=dpe&mrcr=0&mrsp=1&sz=9&via=1,3,5,7&sll=42.149151,-111.717224&sspn=1.853034,2.39502&ie=UTF8&ll=42.149151,-111.717224&spn=14.817075,19.160156&z=6)

Hope it goes well... it'll be ~6 hour per day for 4 days straight... :D

Ldub
08/26/2008, 06:05 PM
OK, dub..
As if it wasn't bad enough the trip fell through, now you have to start jabbing your pointy "finger 'O death" and blaming Jedi:(

Of course you know where it will be pointing NEXT....Muwahahahahaha...:naughty:

Lol...yeah, it's all my fault, I'll take the blame...:rolleyesg

Lindberg Baby???...yep, me again...:rolleyesg

Heavens Gate?...me

High gas prices?...I did it

Hey, a guy's gotta have some hobbies...:smilewink

kodiak
08/26/2008, 08:58 PM
Regardless, on the next trip the 22lr is on me.