PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Question: Taking the door apart?

Girlybot
07/16/2008, 09:48 AM
Hi, Everyone! I'm a VX owner for 5+ years and love my baby... he's like my boyfriend and my best friend all in one. When he dies, I'll die. But that's not what I'm posting for.

I have read numerous threads about fixing the window, and by god, I'm ready. I've spent the last two years squirting lube into the rubber sliding area and the glass has come loose yet again, pitching forward.

I have tools on standby and I just need to know how to take the door panel apart so I can get a good look at the mechanism. Unfortunately my ex-husband (may he rot!) fixed the window last time by more or less supergluing the glass to the mechanism, and I think it's time for the metal replacement that everyone here has enthusiastically recommended.

However, I'm a little tiny girl (barely five feet) and I have no knowledge of how he got the door apart in the first place. I would love to try and order the part and fix this on my own without giving the guys at the shop down the street $300 to fix it and know that the fix won't stick.

Any suggestions on how to help me do this? Or should I just order the metal kit, take it to the shop down the street and have them do the labor?

thanks in advance for any suggestions! I'm by White Rock Lake in Dallas if there are any other VX diehards nearby... When I found this forum I was so excited. VX lovers are hard to come by because there are so few of us!

LittleBeast
07/16/2008, 10:14 AM
To get door apart:

http://www.vehicross.info/modules.php?name=Content&file=viewarticle&op=newarticle&id=22

To buy metal tab fix:

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=11541
http://www.streetboutiquecustoms.com/vx.htm

Scott Harness
07/16/2008, 10:16 AM
Morning, I live by White Rock Lake.We are having a meeting Saturday 2pm at The Blue Goose on Lower Greenville. Join us. The window fix is easy. Do a search on "window fix" Take care

Scott Harness
07/16/2008, 10:17 AM
Doh! Ryan beat me to it

tom4bren
07/16/2008, 11:44 AM
It's really not hard, well within your capabilities. I think that the last time I took mine apart, I only used a phillips screwdriver & my fingers. If you lack confidence tho, I'm sure one of the manly men in Dallas could walk you through it the first time.

Wasn't there a video of the install being made? Was it ever completed?

LittleBeast
07/16/2008, 11:57 AM
Hey I have the metal tabs and have been wanting to do it soon. Why don't I bring the metal tabs and we can dissect my VX doors to do the mod if we have time. Or we could use my metal tabs on hers and she could reimburse me for the tabs and I will order some for me and do it myself later. I am good with whatever, just let me know. I will bring the tabs for sure though. I totally did not notice that she was local, whoops.

Girlybot
07/16/2008, 12:52 PM
Hey, Y'all! that sounds great... I'll meet up with you guys at 2 at the spot... I'm willing to give cash or whatever to get this done, and it would be awesome to meet some other VX people... I'm gonna be recovering from a bachelorette party so look for the really short hungover girl with black hair, lol.

Girlybot
07/16/2008, 12:55 PM
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e292/girlybot/caligula.jpg

I'm the one on the left. Obviously. Next to Mr. Malcolm McDowell! That way y'all will know what I look like...

VX crazy
07/16/2008, 02:10 PM
Great, now that we know what you look like in case the Vehicross isnt enough of a clue.....LOL

You can click on Dallas/Ft Worth Lunch????? option and get more details if you want, or rsvp.....

Girlybot
07/16/2008, 02:46 PM
Yeah, I guess I should've known... sorry, I figured I'd be looking for people but the VX's are of course the dead giveaway. LOL.

Ldub
07/16/2008, 04:52 PM
First off...WELCOME to the addiction...it ain't easy.:naughty:

I know of only one or two who have ever kicked, & they're still going to meetings to try to stay "clean".:rolleyesg

Also, I noticed that you have what is probably the only BLACK Ironman in existence...all the rest were white...more info. pleez?

LittleBeast
07/16/2008, 11:58 PM
Also, I noticed that you have what is probably the only BLACK Ironman in existence...all the rest were white...more info. pleez?

Lol, only the dubster..... nice catch. I am sure it is either an ebony or an ironman painted black....., or an ebony who someone bought ironman floormats because that is all they could find..... lol

WormGod
07/17/2008, 07:12 AM
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e292/girlybot/caligula.jpg

I'm the one on the left. Obviously. Next to Mr. Malcolm McDowell! That way y'all will know what I look like...

Funny, I just worked with Mr McDowell on Fallout3. EXCELLENT voice work. He does a good old Yankee accent better than most Americans, heh.

Girlybot
07/18/2008, 09:01 AM
Yeah, he's cool and I think he was drunk the whole time I was talking to him. Like, I could smell him at the Frightmare weekend, but boy, were his stories good!!!! Amazing guy.

I thought I had an Ironman but maybe I don't... I bought it secondhand and the guy said it was, but I don't have the book that came with it since I bought it secondhand! I will let you guys look at it and tell me what's up. If so I owe a round of margaritas :o

Girlybot
07/18/2008, 09:21 AM
Okay, after doing a little looking, I'm pretty positive the guy lied to me. No way do I have an Ironman, but again, somebody smarter than me can verify... you'd think I'd be less ignorant, but there you go! So I changed my profile. I still can't wait to meet you guys.

I have noticed for a long time that there's a white VX in Plano, another black one around Highland Park, a yellow one I see occasionally on the tollway... it'll be nice to put some faces and some VX's I've noticed around town together!

tomdietrying
07/18/2008, 11:32 AM
Ohhhhhhhhh,...............I like my maggies frozen with no salt.:)
Peace.
Tom

Girlybot
07/26/2008, 10:34 AM
Ah, I ordered the window fix kit today!!! Thank god for payday (yesterday)... it was so nice to meet everybody, it felt like a little family. Thanks for making me feel so welcome... this door is getting it's you know what kicked next week when the parts get here.