PDA

View Full Version : fill bolt leaky...

KING FROG
07/20/2008, 06:35 PM
If I had to replace it, can I get em at autoparts store?

Does the teflon tape work on the threads?

:o

Triathlete
07/20/2008, 10:16 PM
Which fill/drain bolt? Trans., oil, Diff?
They should be easily found in most auto parts stores. Just make sure to get the right size for the application. Also pick up some new copper seal washers (that could be you problem and you won't even need the bolt). The washers are like $2.50 for 3.

KING FROG
07/21/2008, 06:15 AM
sorry. tranny fill bolt.

Triathlete
07/21/2008, 09:48 AM
Yep, try a new copper washer. If that don't work, they should have the bolts at the local auto parts store. They are a common part...just be sure to get the proper size. (look near the oil/oil accessaries)

nfpgasmask
07/21/2008, 11:04 AM
Also make sure the threads on the old bolt were not cross threaded. I did that once, got lucky, but it was pretty ugly. I bought new nylon washers and they work good.

Bart

deermagnet
07/22/2008, 05:41 AM
The proper way to fix this problem is to use a bolt with a captive, recessed o-ring. Just pick one up at your local Honda dealer for about $9.

http://www.drivehq.com/file/df.aspx/publish/mgpa/kaats/transoilpanleak.gif

Mark Griffin

KING FROG
07/22/2008, 09:45 AM
cool....yeh, I have seen that TSB. I did not think of trying the honda dealer though...there certainly is no Isuzu dealer here.

yes, the recessed o-ring bolt would be nice if I can find it. Stupid bolt keeps dripping and I only get small window of time to work on the car everyday...so I keep trying little bits every day but the drip won't stop yet.

So, from what I have read, If the car is on a flat surface and the temp of the fluid is proper, I should be able to open the fill bolt and keep the car running...and only a tiny bit of fluid should come out, right?

I read the tranny fill instructions...I am just checking my theory.

could I use a meat thermometer to check my fluid temp? Just a thought.

KING FROG
07/23/2008, 09:53 AM
yeh...no....thermometer wont work.....

but, seriously, when I take that fill bolt most of the way out...fluid comes pouring out! so...and thats with car stopped...cold...well, the outside temp is about 90f...but the car has been sitting. so is that not right??

KING FROG
07/23/2008, 11:33 AM
nevermind. I took it into a shop for piece of mind. that makes three opinions that it was over full....probably by about a quart or so. I just thought I was doing something wrong.

last question then i will be quite again...is there any reason someone would over fill a tranny on purpose? would it mask an existing problem?

tom4bren
07/23/2008, 11:58 AM
Prolly not - I'm not even sure how you would do it since the VX doesn't have a tranny dip stick.

Maybe the PO parked it nose down on a slope when he topped it off.

etlsport
07/23/2008, 06:44 PM
yeh...no....thermometer wont work.....

but, seriously, when I take that fill bolt most of the way out...fluid comes pouring out! so...and thats with car stopped...cold...well, the outside temp is about 90f...but the car has been sitting. so is that not right??

did you read the instructions posted? it says DO NOT OPEN THE OVERFILL PLUG WITH THE ENGINE OFF

I assume with the engine running a lot of that fluid is sucked through the transmission.. so it may not have been overfilled to begin with

tom4bren
07/24/2008, 06:12 AM
"did you read the instructions"

Of course not - I'm an ENGINEER.

KING FROG
07/24/2008, 06:44 AM
It also poured out with the engine on.

engine off was the second try.

I will check all this again in a few days when my good mechanic gets back in town.

in fact, when the engine was ON it came out much more violently.

I don't know how sensative that tranny is, but, it sure seems fickle and a pain in the arse.

YES, I did read the instructions. I also am here asking questions...

Joe Isuzu
07/24/2008, 01:05 PM
good luck with it King Frog, hope it's nothing serious
It may be a 2000 Dragon issue, I had my own saga with replacing transmission fluid recently.......

KING FROG
07/25/2008, 09:58 AM
I don't think it is....I simply wanted to look at the fluid to see if it was dis-colored and it looked good. just the bolt leaked for 'bout a week and then I was worried I was low...then I had a couple people say it was too full...and now the leak has been stopped...i just gotta make sure the fluid level is ok now.

but the fluid looked ok. in fact, i was suprised at how new the fluid looks.

which makes me wonder.

but thanks for those who did try to help.