PDA

View Full Version : supercharger gas leak?

spitfire5454
07/21/2008, 08:00 PM
so ive basically had my beloved VX in storage for about 3 years. I put a supercharger on it about a year and a half ago. Im finally home and have some time to fix some of the problems ive been having. The main one is that ever since i have put on the S/C, when i get out, i always smell gas! Pretty strong. It runs great with the exception of a few RARE times from taking off from a start after putting it in drive, it will bog down for a sec. then come back to normal. I have yet find a dripping leak, so it could be vapor. Here are the possible culprits.

1) Injector orings - i busted the OEM rings during the install, so used some from autozone that were a fraction smaller. They still made decent contact with the walls and seemed a much better fit than the OEM ones. I have wiped the injectors after driving and smelled the rag hoping that they would smell of gas but no such luck. But i dunno since they arnt OEM spec. Can they be leaking vapors under boost?

2) passenger side fuel line - where the hose meets the pipe and goes to the rail. I must have damaged the inside of the tube while inserting the pipe. I can see some discoloration on the rubber hose where the two join, as if its wet. it has never leaked as far dripping or seeping but it does look like its wet. i have 2 clamps on it but it still wont stay dry. i cant replace the hose without taking off the supercharger:(

3) nozzle under the FPR. Ive had issues sealing here as well. The hose they gave me is a little too big for the nozzle. the nozel is tapered, so if i tighten a clamp around it, it just moves lower on the nozel until it just falls off. how did you guys keep your hose on this thing?

any ways, i know its one of these 3. Any help would be appreciated

Hotsauce
07/22/2008, 02:25 AM
Mine leaked where the reg body bolted to the drivers side fuel rail.

I ended up adding a Stat-o-Seal there. I have a post somewhere with pics showing this.

John C.

Ldub
07/22/2008, 05:30 AM
I missed a day of wheeln' in Moab this spring because of pass side fuel line issues...:sighwgray

You CAN replace the fuel line without removing the S/C, but it's a real pain.
It depends on how big you're hands are, & how much slack you can give yourself by pulling the "Y" connection that the fuel line connects to, up & towards the top of the engine to get access to the hose clamps on the lower end.
Make sure to use fuel line rated for fuel injection, buy good hose clamps & have a few extras on hand, invest in a hose pliers from Harbor Freight...:_wrench:, It's like a long needle nose, with curved ends for gripping fuel line, etc...makes the job a little easier.

If you use your finger to touch the discolored area, does it smell like gas?
Also, the leaker could be one of the injectors under the intake tube, that are harder to see/ touch.

Bottom line is: you should never be able to smell raw fuel under your hood.
I do smell it occaisionally if I overfill the gas tank, but that goes away in a few miles.

Good Luck...:thumbup:

spitfire5454
07/22/2008, 10:21 AM
Bottom line is: you should never be able to smell raw fuel under your hood.
I do smell it occaisionally if I overfill the gas tank, but that goes away in a few miles.

Good Luck...:thumbup:

is there any harm to be done driving it like this while i try to figure it out? Ive only put about 600 miles on it since i put on the supercharger, and seems to run like a champ.

Ldub
07/22/2008, 03:31 PM
is there any harm to be done driving it like this while i try to figure it out? Ive only put about 600 miles on it since i put on the supercharger, and seems to run like a champ.

Remote as it may seem...yeah, the possibility of fire :flame: is always there.
I may be overly paranoid, but it only takes one spark to become a fireball...:sighwgray

Standing by helplessly, while my VX burns, is a situation I'll avoid at all costs.

And yes, I've carried a fire extinguisher in every vehicle I've owned since 1975...:thumbup: