PDA

View Full Version : Muffler mayhem

VCross007
07/28/2008, 10:39 AM
ok so it's been a long time since I've been on here, and hello all again. I've had the flowmaster super 40 on my car since mid may and my gas mileage is deplorable. my 380 hp 02 corvette gets better gas mileage than this thing. So I'm thinking of switching mufflers. Can anyone tell me what kind of mileage gains/drops their muffler got them? ldub with borla? anyone with the pv? or even a different flowmaster? I've been reduced to driving my mom's car back and forth from work for the time being. oh and its for sale too if anyone is interested.

circmand
07/28/2008, 12:34 PM
that your fiberglass car thats weighs over 2000 pounds less gets better mpg I am not sure what improvement you can get from a muffler. Try a PVC valve and a new fuel filter to start.

VCross007
07/28/2008, 01:41 PM
actually the corvette is only 700lbs less then the vehicross. the vehicross is very very light for being an suv, or puv for its own category. and there's more to it then just that. it's the bigger injectors, two more cylinders, manual gearbox, and nearly twice the amount of hp. so it has all of that yet still better than the vx on gas

twistedsymphony
07/28/2008, 01:51 PM
The LS series motors are exceptionally efficient. ... not to mention the T-56 transmission is setup for fuel economy as well. it's an exceptional motor and transmission combo in terms of MPG...

the VX's 3.5L is horribly inefficient when compared to other motors of it's size... you're comparing an motor that is way above average for MPG and pitting it agains a motor that is way below average for MPG, it's really a bad comparison.

the VX is heavy... but it's not THAT bad, really the lack of fuel economy comes from just a poorly designed motor attached to an abysmal automatic transmission.

the AWD system attached to tall, wide, and heavy mud tires isn't doing you any favors either. :rolleyes:

blacksambo
07/28/2008, 07:47 PM
Your modified VX is suffering from the classic performance=lower mileage syndrome. Anything you do to boost performance eats away at OEM equipped mileage. My wife and I drive stock VX '99's daily and get 20mpg aveage, no problem inspite of 10 % ethanoyl. Yes, we use Lucas gas treatment to compensate for the ethanoyl mileage penalty. Go OEM and your problem will be alleviated, it's that simple.

VCross007
07/29/2008, 08:34 AM
looks like im going to have to do that. I'll miss the growl of the motor, and the guy's gonna charge me like $80 to replace the muffler with the oem. oh well, it was fun while it lasted. Anyone intrested in buying an 01 kaiser?