PDA

View Full Version : last time ill ask this

VCross007
07/29/2008, 03:55 PM
ok this is the last time ill ask this question, and its simple. is there a muffler out there that wond decrease your gas milage? i was thinking of borla? anyone?

Ldub
07/29/2008, 04:08 PM
I have a Borla "turbo"...& still get pretty poor mileage, but I've committed every other "mileage sin" that there is. (big knobby tires, lifted, roof mounted spare, supercharger, & the list goes on...:rolleyesg)

Also, when first installed, it was a bit too raspy/ricey sounding for my taste in audible exhaust...:sighwgray
After experimenting with a Supertrapp tip (too restrictive) to tone it down, I finally settled on an inverted cone to take some of the rough edges off the exhaust note.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/002rescone.JPG

VCross007
07/29/2008, 09:30 PM
yea borla is known for having a rasp. you should hear it on an ls1 lol. that cone looks awful for air flow but it looks like it does the job. im thinking of going back to stock and dealing with the silence if it means better gas mileage. your truck looks awsome dude.

Ldub
07/30/2008, 05:34 AM
that cone looks awful for air flow but it looks like it does the job. im thinking of going back to stock and dealing with the silence if it means better gas mileage.

Yeah, that's a poor pic of the cone insert, you get no perspective of how long it is. In reality, the length combined with the amount of perforation, is of greater surface area than a straight cross section of the 3" tip. Since the rest of the system is 2 1/4 or 2 1/2" (can't remember), the restriction is there, but minimal.

WormGod
07/30/2008, 07:26 AM
Ya, just about every muffler manufacturer has that line of exhausts that are raspy. Damn shame I cant fit up a Borla Hush to the VX. BEST turboback I have ever had, though, its on my WRX. The Hush coupled with that Boxer engine sounds absolutely awesome. Deep, throaty, and strangely, quiet(-like). Looks totally stock too! I would love to see how that sort of muffler would sound with the VX if it does that well for my Rex.

Interesting Dub. I seriously have never thought of that (not that I need to do it). I am sure my neighbors would like me to when I pull into the garage though, hehe. That PV1 gets such an acoustical boost pulling. :bwgy:

twistedsymphony
07/31/2008, 08:27 AM
subaru's boxer engine sounds naturally awesome...

I had an 02 WRX (http://solid-orange.com/cars/2002-subaru-impreza-wrx) for a number of years and ran a 3.5" HKS turbo-back with a silencer (silencer was removed on track days)... people always used to ask me if I had done a V8 swap because of how throaty it sounded. :bgwg:

circmand
07/31/2008, 09:25 AM
907 Lotus Motor. Its got balls.