PDA

View Full Version : Rear Diff. whine when on the throttle

lasturbo
08/23/2008, 12:14 AM
I have been reading the older threads about if you have verified the noise is coming from inside the rear diff. to replace the ring and pinion. Some of those threads were when the VX's were still under warranty or some type of goodwill back in 2003. Has anyone recently, or when out of the original warranty, have a parts and labor cost to do it? I can pull the 3rd member out and give it to a reputable shop which brings me to the next question. Where? I am in Southern Cali. so maybe someone knows of a reputable diff. shop or "dealer" on the "west side?" FYI, I did try Mobil 1 Syn. GL-5 75w-90 gear oil (for limited slip) and no change and my VX has 133k so I think it is just tired or the previous owner ran it low at one time or another.... Thanks!

etlsport
08/23/2008, 06:13 AM
I have been reading the older threads about if you have verified the noise is coming from inside the rear diff. to replace the ring and pinion. Some of those threads were when the VX's were still under warranty or some type of goodwill back in 2003. Has anyone recently, or when out of the original warranty, have a parts and labor cost to do it? I can pull the 3rd member out and give it to a reputable shop which brings me to the next question. Where? I am in Southern Cali. so maybe someone knows of a reputable diff. shop or "dealer" on the "west side?" FYI, I did try Mobil 1 Syn. GL-5 75w-90 gear oil (for limited slip) and no change and my VX has 133k so I think it is just tired or the previous owner ran it low at one time or another.... Thanks!

i dont know how close you are to this.. but there is a dealership called Monrovia Autocars in Monrovia, CA (626) 932-5675.. the person to talk to there is Dino Picanzo

also. i think that the rear differential calls for 75w -140 and the front for 75w-90

Anita
08/23/2008, 11:18 AM
FYI - the service rep Dino is no longer there. There are several reps (Joanne for one).

If you want to try this dealer route, insist on going when Mike the isuzu master mechanic is there. He has kept my truck in excellent shape since I bought her new and he is always willing to talk at length with the customer. He works on many Vx's on a regular basis.

Joe Isuzu
08/24/2008, 06:01 PM
hey Lasturbo, please keep us in the loop if you do this. I have that same irritating whine and would be happy if I could have one less source of noise for the car. I'd be interested in knowing what exactly was done and how much it cost. Also, what kind of difference it made. Keeping my fingers crossed for ya!

rowhard
08/24/2008, 07:23 PM
I also have the rear diff whine. Fixed mine by installing a sub woofer and turning up the volume

lasturbo
08/25/2008, 11:13 PM
I have a sound system too with a "box" in the rear and I also turn it up to not listen to that annoying whine. If anyone has an east coast contact and how much it ran them, that would be fine too.

Here is member, PBR's, thread/reply from 2003 but it looks like Isuzu took care of it at that time so it was no out of pocket for him/her.
http://vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=1622&highlight=ring+pinion

WILLY
08/26/2008, 10:08 AM
I kinda like the whine!gives su-zu its own distinked sound lol.

Ldub
08/26/2008, 10:53 AM
I once had a nasty whine coming from the passenger side...:sighwgray

The problem went away when I got a new G/F (rimshot)...:smilewink

Wow, what a great audience...Thank You folks, I'll be here all week! :rotate:

4X4 UFO
08/26/2008, 11:33 AM
Okay, Ldub, you started this....Did you hear about the vulture that tried to board an airplane with a dead raccoon under each wing? The flight attendant said, "I'm sorry sir, but we allow only one carrion per passenger."
I apologize to everyone..............

Amnesia
08/26/2008, 12:12 PM
I too have the dreaded whine. It's driving me crazy! I'm looking forward to hearing what this is going to cost if I decided to fix it.

Thanks!

lasturbo
08/26/2008, 03:54 PM
Mr. Larry,
good one !!

etlsport
08/26/2008, 04:05 PM

funny.. i had that whine too.. i just replaced mine with a much nicer sounding one ;Db;

Ldub
08/26/2008, 04:14 PM
Okay, Ldub, you started this....Did you hear about the vulture that tried to board an airplane with a dead raccoon under each wing? The flight attendant said, "I'm sorry sir, but we allow only one carrion per passenger."
I apologize to everyone..............

Mr. Larry,
good one !!

Funny, funny guys...:smilewink....carrion, gotta love it...:razzgray:

In all seriousness...maybe someone :rolleyesg should start a "joke" thread...:naughty:
I just did a couple searches using different parameters & came up "snake eyes"...

spaceCADETzoom
09/01/2009, 07:47 PM
Hey, I've seen these threads for years. I've never heard this whine until today. I just lifted the VX, and I don't know if that's related or if it's just that I"ve never heard it before now...

I hear the whine around 55mph, as I coast, or let off the throttle. Like many, many others. CHecked the service manual and old dusty closed threads here on the site. Doesn't seem anyone ever fixed it. So is this just something that pops up and yall live with? I don't have a problem with that, but the sound is something I never noticed before and it's something that scares me into thinking it will lead to soemthing worse.

(I scratch my head at the service manual. It lists the whine as "gear noise" that happens at those very speeds, but doesn't seem to point to what should be done about it)

So has this gotten worse for anyone? Or does ignoring it just lead to minor annoyance?

unrelated:: what's the average rpm your VX coasts at? I dunno if I am becoming a VX-hypochondriac, but it seems low (I may just be getting symptoms between my ears because I just fixed previous idle issues and am paranoid of my novice mechanic work).

spaceCADETzoom
09/01/2009, 07:58 PM
Oh, I know my symptoms are diff than the OP's in that it whines on coasting, OFF the throttle for me. But the most relevant thread I could post this in is over a year old and closed. Service manual lists such a sound at around 55mph, throttle closed as "gear noise"

Ldub
09/01/2009, 08:48 PM
SCZoom...

It sounds like "driveline harmonics". I remember a thread from the "long ago" on this, but can't find it any more...:_confused

But it's not uncommon in lifted IFS vehicles. I know that Jack (PB Kid) was talking about it in Moab this spring, and I've been noticing it more lately myself.

I'm not gonna lose any sleep over it, unless it gets worse...:eek:

Anita
09/01/2009, 10:09 PM
Oh, I know my symptoms are diff than the OP's in that it whines on coasting, OFF the throttle for me. But the most relevant thread I could post this in is over a year old and closed. Service manual lists such a sound at around 55mph, throttle closed as "gear noise"

Many of us have experienced that whine off the throttle and found it was because one of our tires was low on air. Check your tires air pressure. Also, putting on a new tire amidst 3 older tires (even if they are the same size) can cause a whine. It sounds silly but it is the cheapest fix to look into...

Sprey
09/01/2009, 10:18 PM
After i lifting mine, i had a bit of a whine and a munted noise coming from the drive shaft.

i greased them up twice in a week, thanks to a nice tutorital on here made it very easy!.

and the noise was gone, and same with a small vibration.

been over a month and the slight vibration returned but no noise.

Amnesia
09/02/2009, 06:51 AM
Still have my VX - Still has the whine. I've got 187,000 miles on it and have had a couple of sets of new tires to no avail. I live with it.

Turn the stereo up and the noise goes away. :)

Moncha
09/02/2009, 08:57 AM
Following the VX Workshop Manual (http://www.vehicross.info/misc/vx_manuals/IV00_01.pdf)

Page 323 Explains Diagnosis - For Rear Differential (Section 4A2-3) Look for Gear noise

Page 339 Explains Gear Tooth Contact Pattern Check and Adjustment (Section 4A2-19) A diagram on page 340 shows the patterns of wear that cause noise.

This may help you or your repair person.