PDA

View Full Version : Water on Passenger’s Floorboard – FIXED!

PitViper
09/07/2008, 03:09 PM
I woke up to a puddle of water on the passenger’s side floorboard Saturday. Luckily the thick rubber floor mats that I use collected 99% of it keeping the carpet dry! Took the VX down to my buddy shop where we proceeded to disassemble until we found the culprit. After finding water IN the AC/heat blower motor behind the glove box we took off the wiper arms and removed the cowl below the windshield to find that there was a tear in the gasket that the cabin air vent housing sits on. I piled some RTV in there with a stick and let it dry. Problem solved! I just figured that I’d pass it along as my initial searches here turned up some water issues but nothing identical.

VCrossfan
09/08/2008, 11:10 AM
Thanks Pit...Great info...

tomdietrying
09/08/2008, 03:46 PM
Thanks! I haven't had this issue yet, but you never know.
Peace.
Tom

Marlin
04/07/2009, 12:01 PM
Weird, I had the same problem 2 weeks ago. Turned out while prressure washing, I had forced some pine needles under the gasket, and voila, water behind the blower, under the dash and floor was soaked. I cleaned out the needles and resealed the gasket, problem solved. I was worried it was the heater core or something...but good thing it wasn't.

djvx
06/26/2010, 09:50 PM
I have this same issue. I get water dripping from the passenger under dash area WHEN I RUN THE AIR CONDITIONER I am wondering if anyone has pictures I could see to understand where and what I'm looking for to fix this.

Ldub
06/26/2010, 10:18 PM
I have this same issue. I get water dripping from the passenger under dash area WHEN I RUN THE AIR CONDITIONER I am wondering if anyone has pictures I could see to understand where and what I'm looking for to fix this.

Since it's only when you run the AC, it sounds like a possible clogged/disconnected drain hose.
I've never had it apart, so I don't know the exact location, but there is a drain that is supposed to evacuate the moisture (condensation) created by the AC system.
That's why there is always a wet spot on the ground when you park after using the AC.

djvx
06/26/2010, 11:21 PM
Thanks Ldub, I private messeged you some more info.

Gussie2000
06/27/2010, 12:14 AM
Yes,i also have that same issue.

When it rains i can see some water under the floor mats.

Thought it may be something related to what you explained.

vt_maverick
06/27/2010, 05:48 AM
Yes,i also have that same issue.

When it rains i can see some water under the floor mats.

Thought it may be something related to what you explained.

I had this exact same issue after I had my windshield replaced. Somehow the glue the guy used on the gasket on the passenger-side bottom of the glass had separated, letting water in and draining it to the floorboard.

Try pushing gently on the rubber gasket all the way around the windshield to see if it wiggles anywhere. If so, use a little glass epoxy to stick and seal it back.

Ldub
06/27/2010, 08:49 AM
I am wondering if anyone has pictures I could see to understand where and what I'm looking for to fix this.

Here ya go.

Where condensation collects (passenger footwell)

Where the tube passes through the footwell

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/DSC00190rc.JPG

The tube in question under hood

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/DSC00159r.jpg

The final destination

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/DSC00171r.jpg

I hope y'all can appreciate my MAD fotoshop skillz & almost ZENLIKE command of windows paint...:yesgray:

Not just anyone could make that arrow look like it was cut out of cardboard...:smilewink

djvx
06/27/2010, 10:53 AM
THANKS LDUB GREAT PICS, IM GONNA GO TWIST:nuke: MY WAY IN THERE AND CHECK IT OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbup:

IRONVIKING
06/27/2010, 12:35 PM
Nice pics. I havent had the problem yet as my A/C dosent work but Im gonna look at the vents around the wipers. I get a new windshield tomorrow so its the perfect time to look.

djvx
06/27/2010, 01:36 PM
Well I tried to get the plastic cover under the dash(ty Ldub:) for pic) off, the one that covers the drain tube, but that isnt happenning. It looks like the whole dash would have to come out. So I went from reverse and located the outside drain tube(ty Ldub:) for pic). I made sure that was clear by pushing a small diameter rod in it. All clear, I also blasted air through it. Obviously I didnt want to shoot debri back in towards the inside but I did it any way. Water was dribbling out the outside tube before I even started messin with it and I don't think it was plugged. It's very hot and humid so I tested out my AC for a while and it pours out nicely outside the vehicle and no dripping inside.
I have windshield seal issues on the passenger side so I fixed that right away. I think it was rainwater that ended up in the drain shroud and then when I cranked the AC it couldn't handle all the water. Or it was slightly plugged and blowing out the drain hose did the trick. I'll have to see.:?:

Thanks for the help:thumbup:

PA-99
07/01/2013, 11:07 AM
PitViper or Marlin, is this the gasket you are referring to that need filled in. Having a similar issue, and took these pictures in a feeble attempt to see the condition. Looks to me to be a weld though. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place?

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/medium/Vehicross9.jpg

Marlin
07/01/2013, 12:37 PM
I thought I had mine fixed, it started doing it again some time later. I just removed all of the carpet, herculined the floorboards of the entire truck, now I don't care:) I will say, that since I LineXed the truck, I have less water, so kind of indicates a windshield seal issue?
I even went so far as to buy a can of flex seal in white, will take the dash apart as much as practical and see if I can hose don the body seam from the inside. Haven't done it yet, on my long list of projects.

Leon R
07/01/2013, 10:37 PM
Does anyone have the missing photos?

PA-99
07/03/2013, 09:00 AM
Yeah, this is such a crazy issue. My neighbor probably think I'm nuts, because I will park my VX up our sloped yard, spray water on/in/at for hours, then turn it down the slope and start all over. I CANNOT get the water to come in. But leave it on the top level of my work parking garage in the rain for a couple hours, and the floor map is soaked.

Here's what I found. My water is coming right into my blower motor housing. My blower motor seal was damaged and attempted to be repaired by someone along the line. Enough plastic is broke off that it allows the water to come in onto the floor board. Makes me wonder how bad my blower motor would be if the water didn't drain. I want to replace the blower motor, but then I would have a mini swimming pool. Maybe my solution is to install a drain from the new blower motor to the AC drain already down there. I'm at a loss.