PDA

View Full Version : does this sound like a wheel bearing?

spitfire5454
09/20/2008, 04:17 PM
im fixing my friends car and just wanted some advice. Hes got a tahoe and has had some 22"s on it for about a year. Recently hes been hearing a grinding sound from the drivers side, especially when turning left. its gotten so bad and lound now he doesnt want to drive it. I took the wheel off and when i try to turn the disc it makes the noise hes been hearing. it sounds like a grinding and feels very cluncky. also as im turning it, it sometimes will lock up and require a good deal of force to get it turning again. there is also a tiny bit play. does a bad wheel bearing present like this? Thanks guys

mdwyer
09/20/2008, 05:31 PM
Recently hes been hearing a grinding sound from the drivers side, especially when turning left.

I would think CV-joint, first. Especially since it is more pronounced when turning. I think a failed bearing usually means it would be harder to turn ALL the time. Whereas a failed CV joint would change forces depending on where in the rotation you are.

That assumes a Tahoe is 4WD or FWD, and even has a CV joint there. If so, it is usually pretty obvious. There'll usually be a torn boot, and grease spewed everywhere. I'd also check that the brakes are functioning correctly -- including the e-brake, which might be inside the disc.

When a bearing failed on my Subaru, it presented as a 'roaring'. It just sounded like increased wind/road noise. I never spun the wheel myself, though, so I don't know what it 'felt' like.

Ldub
09/20/2008, 06:06 PM
From your post it sounds like you were rotating the left front wheel, which would take the parking brake out of the picture.
It could be something as simple as a stone wedged between the backing plate (if there is one) & the disc, it happened to Marks VX in Moab a couple yrs. back & makes a nasty grinding noise.
If not that, I would check the U-joint or CV for play, which ever GM uses.
The next suspect would be the bearing...:_wrench:

twistedsymphony
09/26/2008, 05:50 AM
testing for bad bearings is easy...

jack it up then try to wiggle the wheel by pushing the top in towards the car and pulling the bottom out towards you and then switch ... if there is noticeable play then you need a new bearing (or it needs to be re-torqued) ;) if it's got big tires you need to REALLY beat on it (don't be shy, remember it holds the lateral weight of the vehicle going around a corner) it should be rock solid with no noticeable movement.

Testing the brakes is simple too... does the pitch change or go away when you apply the brakes?

if the vehicle has a 2WD mode then it makes the CVs less likely since they shouldn't be turning unless it's engaged... but it's not out of the question.

-----------

Another really cool trick that I use to find the source of noises... if you can easily reproduce the noise with the wheel off then get a rubber hose and an ear plug... shove the plug in one ear, and the rubber hose in the other... you'll only hear noises at the end of the hose so you'll be able to pin point where the noise is coming from :D

this trick also works for engine bay sounds, and getting rid of squeaks and rattles in the cabin.

mdwyer
09/26/2008, 09:47 PM
Another really cool trick that I use to find the source of noises... if you can easily reproduce the noise with the wheel off then get a rubber hose and an ear plug... shove the plug in one ear, and the rubber hose in the other...

I tried that, once... I can't remember what I was using it for, but I was just afraid I'd accidently find a source of high pressure air and blow my brains out all over the engine bay... :)