PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have experience with Avon Tires?

workmeistr
09/23/2008, 05:22 PM
My rear Toyo Proxes S/T, 255/55R18 109V, are dry-rotted and well-worn on the insides (they are uni-directional and were likely on the front at some point). The fronts are actually in pretty good shape. Since they are 2002 tires and the tread design has been discontinued (The new Proxes S/T 2 are a very different tread), I'm in the market for four 255/55R18 tires, as opposed to the OEM 245/60-18 size (I like the idea of an extra 10mm of tread, and I've never had any problems with rubbing).

I will be running the tires in all weather conditions in Nebraska, 1-hr daily round-trip, and I have read a lot of great reviews about the Avon Tech ST.

They are only $115 from Tire Rack (only 2 in stock close to me, though, and shipping for 4 is $75), or $130 ea ordered from a local distributor.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Avon&tireModel=Tech+ST&partnum=555TR8STXL&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&place=2&speed_rating=S&speed_rating=T&speed_rating=U&speed_rating=H&speed_rating=V&speed_rating=Z&speed_rating=W&speed_rating=Y&speed_rating=(Y)

Has anyone had any experience with Avon tires on the VX or otherwise?

I was actually thinking about running the Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow in all seasons from its positive reviews ($156 ea.), but I have had mixed-experiences with summer and all-terrain Pirelli's ('been good on my Saab, sucked on a past Range Rover).
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Pirelli&tireModel=Scorpion+Ice+%26+Snow&partnum=555HR8SCORISXLV2&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&place=11&speed_rating=S&speed_rating=T&speed_rating=U&speed_rating=H&speed_rating=V&speed_rating=Z&speed_rating=W&speed_rating=Y&speed_rating=(Y)

VehiGAZ
09/24/2008, 06:56 AM
Yup - I used to run summer/performance Avons on my Prelude SH. I don't remember the specific model, but they were some of the best tires out there - I beat the crap out of them, and they held up for 50k miles! Great grip, and excellent feel, even in the rain. When I needed to replace the ones I had, I went into our local tire chain and they told me they no longer carried them, and no one else in the US did either. I had them look through their system anyway and they found 6 of them in Cali somewhere, so I bought four of them.

They only left the US market for a couple of years, and came back with new models, so I'm not sure what the newer ones are like. But if the ones you are looking at for your VX are as good as the sport tires I had on the Prelude, then you will probably be happy.

PS - My local tire shop (Town Fair Tires) matches TireRack prices - you should check to see if your local shop does, too.

Good luck!

workmeistr
09/24/2008, 09:23 AM
Thanks,
I think I'm going to try them out in a couple of weeks. I'll keep the forum posted, as you can't beat the price for replacement 18" tires. I won't get any snow time until December, though.:(