PDA

View Full Version : For those that fixed windows

ctp
09/29/2008, 08:38 PM
I am about to do the window fix. Hopefully there are some of the metal brackets available.

I still have an issue though. My windows have been jacked up for a while. A couple of trips to Iraq have had my priorities elsewhere. All of the rubber around my windows needs replaced as well as the plastic holding the glass. The bottom rubber folds down when the window is rolled down, and the side is bent so that the window follows it off the track and the top doesn't seal. How big (and expensive) is this job going to be?

tom4bren
09/30/2008, 08:09 AM
My driver's window was seriously 'jacked' when I bought it. So much so that the rubber weather strip came up with the window & bunched at the top of the front verticle track.

I cut out the rubber from the front track & glued in felt weather stripping available at any hardware store. After trimming, it really doesn't look as bad as you might think. I still need to go back & add another layer to cut down on wind noise (minimal but there is some). There hasn't been any water intrusion in the 1 1/2 years since I did the repair.

BTW, I have the metal brackets but never installed since the felt conversion has the window working fine.

I never took any pix but I'll see if I can snap one tonight.

SBC
09/30/2008, 08:56 AM
I am about to do the window fix. Hopefully there are some of the metal brackets available.

I still have an issue though. My windows have been jacked up for a while. A couple of trips to Iraq have had my priorities elsewhere. All of the rubber around my windows needs replaced as well as the plastic holding the glass. The bottom rubber folds down when the window is rolled down, and the side is bent so that the window follows it off the track and the top doesn't seal. How big (and expensive) is this job going to be?

I do have the metal brackets available on my website.
Ill cover shipping to Hawaii also.........

tom4bren
09/30/2008, 11:01 AM
SBC - sorry, I didn't mean to make it sound like your brackets wouldn't help. I still plan on installing them eventually. It just isn't that high on the priorities anymore. From all I've read here - they're worth their weight in gold (well, maybe silver).

As a matter of fact, Wifey has been after me to install since the passenger window now jumps. Guess I'd better get on it before the rubber on that side goes FUBAR.

LittleBeast
09/30/2008, 11:21 AM
Brackets definitely help and solve most all of the window problems.

See this thread if you have not yet:

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=11541&page=11&highlight=window+fix

ctp
09/30/2008, 11:39 AM
I think I am good for the bracket. I will be ordering tonight. I just don't know how I am going to replace the rubber moulding around the door.

LittleBeast
09/30/2008, 12:13 PM
My rubber was not that bad, silicone spray made mine look like new, don't know what to tell you. Contact Merlin at St Charles Isuzu 1-800-727-8066 he can probably order you some with free shipping.

tom4bren
09/30/2008, 12:18 PM
If the rubber isn't torn (mine was), you should be able to bond it back in place with weather strip adhesive. If it's torn, you should be able to order replacement from Merlin (I didn't 'cause I'm cheap).

crager34
09/30/2008, 01:04 PM
I ordered new rubber from St. Charles... I think it was $8 per side.

SBC
09/30/2008, 01:15 PM
SBC - sorry, I didn't mean to make it sound like your brackets wouldn't help.

No Prob ........It didnt sound like that at all to me.:smilewink

tom4bren
10/01/2008, 05:59 AM
"I think it was $8 per side."

Wow - I'm cheaper than I thought.

"No Prob ........It didnt sound like that at all to me."

Cool - Zeus is the only one I Torque intentionally (well, Bart too from time to time).:):):):):)

Solitude
10/05/2008, 08:50 AM
Being one of the first members to buy these.. and actually had Tim install them.. I am here to say they are worth their weight in gold.. 2 arizona summers and they work as well as the day they were installed.. a very nice innovation..

Thanks again Tim.. it was money well spent..

ctp
10/09/2008, 01:15 PM
Finally ordered window brackets.

SBC
10/10/2008, 09:16 AM
Finally ordered window brackets.
I will be sending these out today.......To San Clemente.
Thanks Chris

ctp
10/21/2008, 11:30 AM
Got a little side tracked with a new baby. The Mrs has certain "priorities:.

Anyway, 1 bracket in and epoxy hardening as I type. If all goes well #2 after I get back from appt.

The brackets are the heat. I also just broke 1 of the plastic pieces on the spare tire cover, so I guess you will be getting another order.

SBC
10/21/2008, 12:27 PM
Got a little side tracked with a new baby. The Mrs has certain "priorities:.

Anyway, 1 bracket in and epoxy hardening as I type. If all goes well #2 after I get back from appt.

The brackets are the heat. I also just broke 1 of the plastic pieces on the spare tire cover, so I guess you will be getting another order.

I will put that on the board to get those made and painted up!

Trudy Carp
11/06/2008, 04:06 PM
I also am a fan of these brackets. During the course of the collision repair to
my VX, I had these installed. I already had a jacked up passenger window and getting hit on that door finished breaking both plastic tabs and made the
window regular guide tabs sloppy. A new regulator (Tynan's Isuzu in Denver stocks both sides, imagine that) and the metal bracket kit did the trick.

I have a new glass run weatherstrip ordered to complete the fix to the right door, but the left one works great now. The right door glass run has a bad spot in the rear vertical that is close enough to the bottom to direct the glass outside of it's channel as it is raised. As long as I don't lower the glass past it, I'm fine. So, BUY THESE BRACKETS! They are really worth every
penny. I am enjoying how smooth my windows work now. Thank you Street Boutique Customs!

Before, every off road trip just made it worse from all the bouncing and jarring. My body guy, CJ, was getting tired of taking my doors apart every Monday. He loves these brackets too.

VX KAT
12/31/2008, 09:43 AM
be kind....I'm a techno idiot when it comes to cars.....well and some other areas too! I'm not embarrassed to say it...I'm a girl and not terribly handy....but I'm eager! Had my VX for 8 days now.....

1) I need some more clarification on the FELT WEATHER STRIPPING idea from tom4bren. I see your picture. Are there 2 strips of felt...one on each side of glass or one strip jammed into the metal channel? My window did JUMP track, starting about 7" above sill & had terrible binding problem all the way up. I've widened the metal channel & bent the bracket forward as PHINNES described. Cleaned rubber track, removed old gooey & dry lubricants completely. Put pure silicone spray on it, now window works normally, but not sure how long it will last. Want to do everything now before something breaks. I'm not sure if I have (had) the "tilting" problem or not, I've read so many posts on the windows that I'm a bit confused. Haven't tried the spacer fix. Any suggestions?

2) Not clear on the nylon arm guides (white nylon tabs on the vertical regulator track). Are these what come loose, or have too much play? LittleBeast posted pics and labeled them "loose plastic tabs". Mine aren't broken, but I'm ordering SBC's metal brackets this week, but I don't see that they involve these white tabs at all. What can be done with them?

3) Vapor Barrier- Mine is long gone, QUESTION- I read how to replace with 4 mil plastic, but is it important? Do CO2 fumes come into cabin?

thx

crager34
12/31/2008, 09:55 AM
With all due respect to tom4bren and his felt stripping. I tried that and for the cost and time it took to try and get that stuff in there (I did try), it was worth it to just get new rubber. Windows slide up and down great now, except for the passanger, but that is because another part failed not associated with our normal fix.

Gussie2000
01/03/2009, 09:02 PM
When i bought my VX the driver's window wouldn't roll down & rolling up was a nightmare.the passenger was even worse.

All i did was remove the door panels & cut a good piece of the rubbers heading down the tracks on both front & rear at both doors.

Then with a pliers i widened the tracks about 1/2 centimeter from the lower end all the way up as much as i can;Then i spray some silicone over the remaining rubber at the lower side & since then never had any issues with the windows. :)

VX KAT
02/05/2009, 04:05 PM
I ordered new rubber from St. Charles... I think it was $8 per side.

Trying to get the vertical rubber window track/ weather striping piece for my '01 from Merlin. This is rubber track the FRONT part of window glass rides up and down in, where we spray silicone. The rubber track itself then fits into the vertical metal track.
We're having a heck of a time identifying this part.

crager34 mentions in post above he bought it from Merlin.

1) Anybody know the part number? or
2) Anybody know if Isuzu CHANGED the design & made the door window frame gasket AND the window front rubber track ONE PIECE?
Look at part #7...at that short vertical piece on left side... appears it could be the visible part we see from sill upward about 6", in front of mirror. Maybe they "cut off" the section that goes down inside the door to relieve the binding?

Merlin & I have been trying to find just the vertical rubber track but this parts diagram just doesn't show it!
Any ideas?
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/image005.jpg

Bulldoggie
02/05/2009, 08:36 PM

it should be one continued piece.

the drawing is not to scale?

tom4bren
02/06/2009, 06:04 AM
Firstest - I don't necessarily recommend my felt weatherstrip replacement unless it's necessary. It worked for me & was easy. I didn't even try to order the OEM part first since I assumed it would be very expensive and hard to get. I was a newby at the time & hadn't even heard about Merlin. I'll eventually order the part from him but it's really just for asthetics now since my mod worked well for me.

Second - if you go that route, don't make it complicated. I just cut the weather strip from the vertical section on the front (ends where the track goes from vertical to an angle). Use contact cement or weatherstrip adhesive to bond a layer of felt to the flat surfaces of the track & trim the excess after the glue has dried. I was going to glue in a layer on the bottom of the 'U' where the edge of the glass rides but I had such a mess of glue on my hands that I decided to wait till later & never got back to it - doesn't seem to need it anyway. I also planned to go back & add a second layer of felt to make sure there wasn't any wind noise but I never got back to that either. After I glued the felt in place, I used wooden wedges (shims for installing double hung doors) to hold the felt in place while the glue dried.

Lastest note then I'll shut up - I only did this because I had to. It was cold and wet outside & my window was stuck open due to the bunched & torn weather stripping. The OEM part is a much better option if Merlin can get it for you.