PDA

View Full Version : question and poll regarding abs module

zadam123
10/01/2008, 02:28 PM
I got my second abs module in the mail today and have a question do i have to replace the whole unit or just the plastic part with the connector? can it be seperated? If so does this mean i dont have to bleed the brakes?

Just trying to get around the 125 price tag mechanics want ( i dont know how to bleed brakes )

thanks

also just curious how many people have had this problem. maby we can get a recall. just seems crazy that this will be the second one i replaced in 4 years. that would have cost me 6,000 if i went to the dealer

Hotsauce
10/01/2008, 05:10 PM
Theres a couple of torx screws that will allow you to pull the solenoid assy from the valve body. I would do it that way first. I'm assuming that the coils burn out over time, and the computer senses this.

Bleeding the brakes is easy if you have a helper. I'll give you the info if needed.

John C.

zadam123
10/01/2008, 06:24 PM
so I could just remove the torx screws? should i expect anything to pop out or spring out, fall out, or leak out ( is there any fluid in this part?)i dont want to loose anything and then just screw the new one one with out bleeding the system?

rowhard
10/01/2008, 06:34 PM
I talked about this once before, guess when Dino, aka Bandit was on the board. So will say it again, so,

insert 2 cents

The ABS module ain't much more then a shuttle valve, and if you don't lock them brakes up and use that shuttle valve, it does nothing but sit there and rust up since brake fluid is a big sponge for water.

When ever it rains or snows, I lock um up and get that valve jump'in and I ain't had any problem at all with my VX or other ABS equip't vehicles. I try and do this at least once a month.

remove 2 cents:bwgy:

Hotsauce
10/02/2008, 02:52 AM
Undo the electrical connections, pull the screws, and the coils half can be removed from the valve body.

You can even drive with it off.

John C.

Joe Isuzu
10/02/2008, 07:47 AM
hey, this sounds encouraging, if I don't have to fool with bleeding the brakes then I may try this
First I need to get the ABS module
Thanks for the input on ABS Rowhard, never thought I would consider intentionally engaging the ABS but I guess you're right, weird that I've got my 98 A4 (160k) with ABS and never had an issue and never engaged ABS, if anything, I think I have used ABS once or twice when I got the VX as the thing was so stinking heavy compared to what I had been driving, oh well, it's in need of replacement now regardless....

zadam123
10/02/2008, 03:33 PM
Ok i got the new abs module and can take off the plastic part but on the one in my car its right up against the fender . I am guessing i cant bend the pipes to get the unit streight so does anyone know of a tool that would get into the tight space to unscrew those star screws?

zadam123
10/09/2008, 04:52 PM
Ok I finally took of the plastic computer part of the abs pump ( after 3 days of trying to get a tool for the bottom left screw i just said screw it and broke it off) and installed only the plastic computer part - the screw on the bottem , took of the battery termal to reset the code ( not sure if this actually does anything) and after a day of driving NO MORE ABS LIGHT ;party: this way i dont have to bleed the system

VXNIT
06/30/2009, 02:21 PM
So I have a used ABS Module and wanted to do the same thing, remove plastic side and not bleed brakes. How has this worked for you since you did swap.

etlsport
06/30/2009, 02:39 PM
bleeding the brakes is so easy though.. its a routine scheduled maintenance that should be done every 2 years anyway.. i could easily replace the abs module and bleed all the brakes in under an hour.. or if you dont want to do it yourself, having the brakes bled at a shop should only be like 35-40 bucks imho its worth it to do it or have it done

Triathlete
06/30/2009, 03:30 PM
Brake bleeding is super easy if you get brake bleeders (see Rickshaws gallery). They are easy to install and allow 1 person to do the job easily.

Another way of activating the ABS is off roading. When going down loose rocky/sandy hills with your brakes on you will feel the ABS working!:bwgy:

rickshaw
07/01/2009, 08:58 AM
I replaced my ABS Module last month. It was very easy following etlsport's ABS Module Replacement (How To) (http://www.vehicross.info/modules.php?name=Content&file=viewarticle&op=newarticle&id=50)
Along with Speed Bleeders, took about an hour to do.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/3223/medium/IMG_0772v2sm.jpg
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/3219/medium/IMG_1048v2sm.jpg
Speed Bleeders
SB7100 M7 x 1.0
speedbleeder.com (http://www.speedbleeder.com/)

zadam123
07/04/2009, 04:30 AM
So I have a used ABS Module and wanted to do the same thing, remove plastic side and not bleed brakes. How has this worked for you since you did swap.

been months now and no problems

swift16
07/16/2009, 02:11 AM
What are you guys paying for the replacement module? And where are you getting them? Thanks in advance.

etlsport
07/16/2009, 05:50 AM
i paid 100 for mine.. found a parted vx and bought it from the owner.. it is also identical to the one found in either a trooper or rodeo with 4 wheel discs, just cant remember which year/model

rickshaw
07/16/2009, 11:40 PM
What are you guys paying for the replacement module? And where are you getting them? Thanks in advance.

Hey Frank (swift16),
I got mine here (http://www.automotix.net/usedautoparts/2001-isuzu-trooper-abs_control_modulepump-inventory.html#MCH99203W)
Mine was from a 2001 4x4 Trooper. Paid around $130. The part number was the exactly the same 8971621921.

Frank, when are we going to do Cars & Coffee (http://www.cars-and-coffee.com/index.html)
Gene

VXorado
07/18/2009, 06:12 PM
Just got my VX last week and my ABS is going out. Other than not having ABS, is there any other reason to replace the module? Will it cause any damage to other engine parts? I'll probably fix it eventually regardless if I can get one for $130 <-thats a good deal.

Jon

Gussie2000
07/18/2009, 06:28 PM
Just got my VX last week and my ABS is going out. Other than not having ABS, is there any other reason to replace the module? Will it cause any damage to other engine parts? I'll probably fix it eventually regardless if I can get one for $130 <-thats a good deal.

Jon

Hi jon.

No,it cause no issue to the engine or drive train.

I think many members just get the ABS off drive without it

VXorado
07/18/2009, 07:34 PM
Okay, thats what I thought. I will let it stay broken for the time being. Thanks :yeso:

Hi jon.

No,it cause no issue to the engine or drive train.

I think many members just get the ABS off drive without it

etlsport
07/20/2009, 05:20 AM
yep, i drove around without my ABS for over a year, even passed MD inspection with it broken

VXNIT
07/20/2009, 07:37 PM
Anyone remember Torx size on ABS side plastic piece neede to just remove the half?

VXNIT
07/22/2009, 05:52 AM
Cannot get torx out due to limited space to just replace electrical side any suggestions

etlsport
07/22/2009, 06:02 AM
iirc the only way anyone was able to remove the electrical side of it without removing it from the VX was to break the bottom mounting tabs off.. seriously.. its easier to just replace the whole thing and bleed the brakes

Marlin
09/29/2009, 05:44 PM
I am sure I will get flamed for this, but I know there are some other VXers that run with the ABS fuse pulled. ABS is not really needed. Mine only activated when I am wheeling and brake on a loose surface, just feather the brakes, problem goes away. I am not a big fan of ABS in general. Mine currently works, but if it fails, that fuse goes bye bye.

PK
09/29/2009, 07:30 PM
I have heard a lot of people say that they don't need ABS.

I would like to relate my experience -

A few years ago my son and I attended an Advance Sport driving day.
The day was held at a race track, 8 students, 4 small Alfa Romeos, 4 x experienced racing car drivers as instructors.
We were taught all types of braking techniques including ABS, cadance braking, feathering, and hand brake use for turns etc.
The Alfa's were set up with a dashboard switch that turned on / off the ABS.
A section of track was wet down and we all tried emergency stops from 50MPH with different techniques we had been taught. After trying in the Alfa's, we also tried in our own cars.

No one, including the race car drivers, could stop in less distance without ABS, as they could with ABS.
The different techniques we had learnt certainly made a difference, but the closest anyone got to an ABS stop (without using ABS) was about 2 car lengths.
By all means, drive your vehicle without ABS if you want to, but don't think you can stop as quick. It just ain't gonna happen.

Just thought it worth mentioning.

Of course Marlin doesn't need to stop any more, he can just crash right through.:bgwo::bgwb::bwgy:

PK

VX crazy
09/30/2009, 05:15 AM
I am sure I will get flamed for this, but I know there are some other VXers that run with the ABS fuse pulled. ABS is not really needed. Mine only activated when I am wheeling and brake on a loose surface, just feather the brakes, problem goes away. I am not a big fan of ABS in general. Mine currently works, but if it fails, that fuse goes bye bye.

I agree Marlin, but what benefit is there to pull the fuse? The light will remain on with fuse pulled wont it? I didnt have ABS in the other VX and I dont in the current VX, just want to get the light to go off so inspection is not an issue.

deermagnet
09/30/2009, 09:00 AM
...just want to get the light to go off so inspection is not an issue.

Lisa, it's so easy and just takes a few minutes to do-
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=12016 (http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=12016)

Open hood, remove ABS module connector, bend over the #16 pin, replace connector, close hood. Two to three minutes tops.

Say goodbye to ABS forever. :) :_beer:

Mark Griffin

VX crazy
09/30/2009, 09:20 AM
Thank you!! I too have no intention of fixing it whatever IT is.....

Anita
10/27/2009, 08:35 PM
Even though I have the parts to fix my ABS I wont. I have had several extremely close calls when it was working. Slammed down on the brakes and it just kept on going and going, stopping just inches from the car in front of me.

Since it stopped working I have never had a close call... my stops have been quicker and in control. Maybe that is just my experience but I would never restore the ABS function while I posess my truck.

deermagnet
10/28/2009, 05:21 PM
Anita, I agree 100%. That is the worst feeling when you hit the brakes and keep going 'cuz the ABS won't let you stop. Lots of other 'Zu owners over at the Planet have the same complaints. This Isuzu ABS system is too sensitive! If you think it's bad on pavement, try it on snow sometime. Holy crap! Very scary stuff.

All the new VX owners should test their ABS on a couple surfaces to see how sensitive it is on their VX so they don't get a big surprise when they need to stop quick. If I buy another ABS vehicle, I'll check it out right away and if it's too sensitive it'll get disabled immediately. Word.

Mark Griffin

don moore
11/08/2009, 11:14 AM
Of course Marlin doesn't need to stop any more, he can just crash right through.:bgwo::bgwb::bwgy:

PK

i like that

don moore
11/08/2009, 11:16 AM
so you pull the fuze and the light goes away....what fuze is it.

Gussie2000
12/08/2009, 01:34 PM
Just wanna share a light

Dave from shelton in CT told me he had his ABS pump swapped with a 2001 trooper equiped with the TOD system.

It's an direct fit;only cost him $ 130 from salvage yard.

dgl82182
12/08/2009, 09:37 PM
hello this is david from shelton ct i have had this pump in for 3 days now and i have tried to abuse it and there has been no problems at all .

mrtew
12/30/2009, 10:44 AM
A section of track was wet down and ...No one, including the race car drivers,[/U][/B] could stop in less distance without ABS, as they could with ABS...

On smooth wet pavement ABS might help but on a bumpy road I bet I could stop at least 50 car lengths shorter now that my abs has gone out. I LOVE my truck twice as much since the light came on! With all the snow now and my new Coopers I just slam on the brakes and slide to quick silent graceful stop every time. No more clattering and shuttering and grinding vibration. So peaceful and reassuring to just have the truck freaking stop when you press down on the pedal. I've almost had a crash at least three times when I slammed on the brakes on bad pavement (always seems to occur where everyone slams on their brakes) and the ABS decided that it was better to keep the wheels spinning than let them lock up. And around here there's more bad pavement than good. I LOVE having no ABS!!!

I finally did get sick of looking at that ABS light though and so I bent the pin like it shows in this thread http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=12016 and it's still on. Then I pulled the fuse and it's still on! Then I replaced the fuse and unhooked the battery for a minute and it's still on!!! What am I missing??? How do I shut off the dash light!

USMCvxOFFROAD
02/15/2010, 10:49 PM
i just took all that crap off i hate ABS when offroad some time you need to be able to jack the brakes and slide a little

mrtew
02/16/2010, 03:07 AM
I wish I could just figure out how to turn off my ABS light. It's getting old.

VX crazy
02/16/2010, 04:49 AM
I wish I could just figure out how to turn off my ABS light. It's getting old.

Do a search, someone posted which terminal to bend off of the ABS relay to make the light go off

VX crazy
02/16/2010, 05:46 AM
Ooops my bad, I see where you tried that and it didnt work.....

johnnyapollo
06/23/2011, 05:44 AM
When we went wheeling at Uhwarrie all the Zu owners pull the fuse so the ABS is cut-out during the tough trail negotiations...

tom4bren
10/11/2011, 11:45 AM
I did the pin bendy thang & the fuse pully thang. Still had the light so I just pulled the dash cluster & removed the bulb. It's about a 20 minute job with just a phillips screwdriver.

mrtew
10/11/2011, 07:33 PM
I did the pin bendy thang & the fuse pully thang. Still had the light so I just pulled the dash cluster & removed the bulb. It's about a 20 minute job with just a phillips screwdriver.

Can you tell me where the screws are and stuff. I drove my VX for the first time since last winter today and the bulb is still on! I can't take it another year.

tom4bren
10/12/2011, 04:48 AM
so you pull the fuze and the light goes away....what fuze is it.

The fuze is labeled on the fuze box cover under the hood. There will be 2 ABS locations (1 fuze & 1 fuzable link). You'll be able to figger it out when you check.

Can you tell me where the screws are and stuff. I drove my VX for the first time since last winter today and the bulb is still on! I can't take it another year.

I can not.

JK, I've been thinking about pulling the TOD check lite anyway. I'll try to take pix of the process this weekend.

subject47
01/14/2012, 07:39 PM
No but since I changed my rotors it has been on.........

Jason
01/16/2012, 09:02 PM
So my issue is a bit different. My ABS Light is on all the time EXCEPT when temperatures are about 10 degrees or below. When the light goes out, the ABS works. After the car warms up or the temperatures warm up, the light comes on and the ABS stops working.

What would that be an indication of?

Thanks

mrtew
01/17/2012, 03:59 AM
JK, I've been thinking about pulling the TOD check lite anyway. I'll try to take pix of the process this weekend.

Hurry, my emissions/safety inspection is coming up soon!

JAMAS
01/17/2012, 04:29 AM
So my issue is a bit different. My ABS Light is on all the time EXCEPT when temperatures are about 10 degrees or below. When the light goes out, the ABS works. After the car warms up or the temperatures warm up, the light comes on and the ABS stops working.

What would that be an indication of?

Thanks

Mine did that too.....it eventually stayed on all the time.

it was a bad "something" in the abs module. I think a pump or something went bad.

replaced it with a junkyard model.....VERY easy to do. The module cost me ~$100

VXorado
01/17/2012, 08:05 AM
replaced it with a junkyard model.....VERY easy to do. The module cost me ~$100

I did the same thing and it was a very quick & easy fix. I just saw to ABS light on again yesterday :mado: and I think I will remove the dash bulb if this module goes out too. I haven't been in a situation yet where I needed the ABS.

JAMAS
01/17/2012, 09:12 AM
I did the same thing and it was a very quick & easy fix. I just saw to ABS light on again yesterday :mado: and I think I will remove the dash bulb if this module goes out too. I haven't been in a situation yet where I needed the ABS.

yeah, I bought 2 modules. My plan was to replace it once for me....then if it goes out again, replace it if I ever sell it.

ALC1717
10/23/2013, 12:41 PM
I Had Purchased A Used ABS Module For My 2001 VX Last Year For $80. I Worked Well For Over 1 Year But Eventually It Went Bad And The ABS Light Was Activated And The Scan Showed A Trouble Code Problem. I Did Some Research Online And Found A Rebuilt ABS Unit By Automotive Scientific In Rogersville Tennessee (423) 921-9085 With A LIFETIME WARRANTY For $229 I Received The Rebuilt ABS Unit But It Was Only The Black Plastic Brain Part. Installation Took 10 Minutes Because I Did Not Have To Bleed The Brakes. The Trouble Code Was Clear And Hopefully The End Of My ABS Issue ! This Was Sept 12Th. So Far So Good! It Is Worth To Spend A Little More For Peace Of Mind. To Install Another Used ABS Module For $100 Did Not Make Sense and Gamble How Long It Will Last !

VX KAT
10/24/2013, 09:42 AM
I Had Purchased A Used ABS Module For My 2001 VX Last Year For $80. I Worked Well For Over 1 Year But Eventually It Went Bad And The ABS Light Was Activated And The Scan Showed A Trouble Code Problem. I Did Some Research Online And Found A Rebuilt ABS Unit By Automotive Scientific In Rogersville Tennessee (423) 921-9085 With A LIFETIME WARRANTY For $229 I Received The Rebuilt ABS Unit But It Was Only The Black Plastic Brain Part. Installation Took 10 Minutes Because I Did Not Have To Bleed The Brakes. The Trouble Code Was Clear And Hopefully The End Of My ABS Issue ! This Was Sept 12Th. So Far So Good! It Is Worth To Spend A Little More For Peace Of Mind. To Install Another Used ABS Module For $100 Did Not Make Sense and Gamble How Long It Will Last !

HOLY MOLY Al! We've been talking about and using that company for a few years now, and buying it thru ebay is only $49 with lifetime warranty - - seriously, it's the same company and the same repair and warranty - for $49. I've sent two modules to him so far. And they paying shipping too.

Start reading this thread at about post #44. We've had lots of discussions on the ABS failure, and found a great option - Repair exisiting module with lifetime warranty for $49!!
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=23339&highlight=dodge+abs

Here's the current ebay listing: (Doesn't matter that it says Trooper - he fixes the VX one under this too).
http://www.ebay.com/itm/110784352777?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

JAMAS
10/24/2013, 10:52 AM
that ebay link is not currently active

VX KAT
10/24/2013, 11:03 AM
that ebay link is not currently active

thx Jon, I fixed it.

89Vette
10/24/2013, 10:23 PM
The other link doesn't work either! :p

I was going to read up and see if I could find the exchange hand-off that was started. Wasn't there an extra unit that started a VXInfo supply chain hand-off on this?

Do I recall reading it's undriveable until the module comes back?

dietz99vcross
10/25/2013, 08:06 AM
I know Jamas was great enough to help me with the exchange hand off, but I don't think anyone else jumped in at the time. One issue we had was they want the vin number of the vehicle that the unit is going on, so we did some creative shipping (I filled out the form and had Jamas send it with his unit, then he filled out the form and I sent it with my unit). He was a great help for me and I hope you can find someone else to do the same for you. It has been almost 10 months and I haven't had any sign of an issue since. If you search for ABS module you will see one titled "2005 Durango ABS control module fits" that is the one where we discuss the hand off.

I never tried driving without the unit since I didn't have to remove mine, but since you are disconnecting several lines I would not suggest it.

JAMAS
10/25/2013, 08:59 AM
I know Jamas was great enough to help me with the exchange hand off, but I don't think anyone else jumped in at the time. One issue we had was they want the vin number of the vehicle that the unit is going on, so we did some creative shipping (I filled out the form and had Jamas send it with his unit, then he filled out the form and I sent it with my unit). He was a great help for me and I hope you can find someone else to do the same for you. It has been almost 10 months and I haven't had any sign of an issue since. If you search for ABS module you will see one titled "2005 Durango ABS control module fits" that is the one where we discuss the hand off.

I never tried driving without the unit since I didn't have to remove mine, but since you are disconnecting several lines I would not suggest it.

I agree. That whole "round robin" process seemed to work nicely so no one had to be without an ABS unit while one was getting repaired. I had an extra broken abs unit so I was the start and the finish of the process. I am more than happy to start that process again. However, I must first install the repaired module so that I will have another broken one to send in.

VX KAT
10/25/2013, 09:16 AM
I fixed the vehicross.info link above.
It's the thread where the round robin was discussed.
Here it is again.

Post #69 has the instructions on how to fill out the form and get it started.
Note -you have to fill it out as if it came out of the buyer's VX.
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=23339&highlight=dodge+abs

and here's the ebay link:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/110784352777?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Mile High VX
01/13/2014, 08:36 AM
Ebay price is up to about $69.00.

I called today and they told me since our vehicle was not listed on Ebay it would be $99.

The instructions that they gave me were to fill out the R&R form and send the module to them. Once received they would call me for payment.

Anyone else have an issue like this?

eternal21
01/13/2014, 11:39 AM
Screw that, say you have a Trooper and get in for $69.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/110784352777

AlexVX
01/13/2014, 12:29 PM
I had my ABS rebuilt by by automotive scientific inc (ppl. behind that ebay link) and got to test it last weekend in wet snow / slush up in Tahoe. Works exactly as expected, also looks like brand new. I purchased Trooper listing, but called them up to make sure it was the right thing to do. Payed 69$ and shipping to them, return shipping was free.

JAMAS
01/13/2014, 01:07 PM
Mine looks great, but I have STILL not installed it. I will stop procrastinating tomorrow.

MSHardeman
01/13/2014, 01:19 PM
I think that this has been asked before, but I can't find (or remember) the answer; is it possible to drive the VX without the ABS controller installed? My ABS light has decided to remain on (was intermittent) so I might need to have mine re-built.

bartmanS4
01/13/2014, 02:05 PM
I think that this has been asked before, but I can't find (or remember) the answer; is it possible to drive the VX without the ABS controller installed? My ABS light has decided to remain on (was intermittent) so I might need to have mine re-built.

Yes, brakes work fine without the electronic module installed. Obviously don't remove the mechanical part though.

VX KAT
01/13/2014, 04:34 PM
Here's the link we're we discussed all this in much more detail.
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=23339&highlight=durango+abs

Since I talked to the guy several times, I'll make contact with him and explain it's the VX group again, and see if I can get him to the $69.

Earl, hold on until I can reach him, and remind him of our several emails AND his confirmation that the charge was the same for the Trooper OR the VX.

Mile High VX
01/13/2014, 04:53 PM
Thanks Sue.

For anyone who has removed the electronics, but not the mechanics:

How did you get enough slack in the brake lines to get the units apart without bending the lines?

Love to do it this way so I won't need to bleed the brakes.

bartmanS4
01/13/2014, 05:00 PM
How did you get enough slack in the brake lines to get the units apart without bending the lines?

It was very difficult but I was eventually able to move things around enough to get the lower left screw out. When putting it back together I left out that screw. I used a 1/4" bit with a ratcheting handle.

VX KAT
01/14/2014, 07:38 AM
OK, talked to the guy at ASI, he'll honor the Trooper price for the VX. You can just purchase the Trooper listing and it will all work out fine. :thumbup:

Dear purple.kat1,

Hello,

Yes we will honor the ebay price. Please purchase through ebay to insure your get that special price. Thank you for your business.

ASI

- ate1234

http://www.ebay.com/itm/110784352777?item=110784352777&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME:X:RTQ:MOTORS:1123&vxp=mtr

Scott Larson
01/14/2014, 07:52 AM
As always, YOU ROCK SUE!! :_beer:

VX KAT
01/14/2014, 07:58 AM

thank you good sir! :mbrasd:

Mile High VX
01/14/2014, 08:12 AM

x like a bazillion...

tom4bren
01/14/2014, 08:52 AM
Just in case you'd like to remove your ABS bulb whilst waiting for the new control module, here's a simple write up I did on the process.

Scott Larson
01/14/2014, 08:57 AM
T4B to the rescue! Anybody wonder what makes this forum so great?? :dance: :_steering

Mile High VX
01/14/2014, 12:23 PM
Removed and shipped today...:bwgy::smilewink:bgwo::bgwb:

Thanks for all of the collective help...gotta love this forum!

Mile High VX
01/24/2014, 06:33 PM
Received the part back today...

Hooked it up and NO MORE LIGHT and the ABS works as it should. We got a few inches of snow this week and the shady part of my neighborhood was a great testing spot.

I would recommend the service discussed in this thread to anyone wanting to get their ABS groove back on...:bwgy::smilewink:bgwo::bgwb:

Also as a note I did drive the VX with the electronic portion of the ABS removed and it was awful. Brakes locked up on tight turns ( think in/out of a parking space and riding the brake) and was very jerky...:(

bartmanS4
01/27/2014, 05:22 PM
Also as a note I did drive the VX with the electronic portion of the ABS removed and it was awful. Brakes locked up on tight turns ( think in/out of a parking space and riding the brake) and was very jerky...:(

This is really strange to me. Shouldn't the braking performance be the same with a non-functioning ABS controller and no controller? They way I think it works is you apply force to the brake pedal providing hydraulic pressure to all four brake calipers. When wheel slippage is detected the ABS controller rapidly opens and closes the solenoid associated with that wheel effectively pulsing the hydraulic pressure to that caliper. Having the ABS controller removed should provide normal non-abs braking. Right? Could there be another issue with the brakes that M H VX is experiencing?

AlexVX
02/18/2014, 04:48 PM
OK so about one month later and two weekends in conditions where ABS is actually helpful (snow / slush / ice) up at Tahoe ABS module repaired by ASI went bad again. I am sure they will fix it for me free but it takes time / money to pull it out and esoecially reinstall since I need to bleed brakes. Is there a way to pull black part of it without touching break lines?

Mile High VX
02/18/2014, 04:58 PM
OK so about one month later and two weekends in conditions where ABS is actually helpful (snow / slush / ice) up at Tahoe ABS module repaired by ASI went bad again. I am sure they will fix it for me free but it takes time / money to pull it out and esoecially reinstall since I need to bleed brakes. Is there a way to pull black part of it without touching break lines?

Yes, this is what I did.

Just loosen it from the bracket and loosen the brakelines mounted on the fender well and the firewall. Be careful or you will break the plastic retainers that hold the brake lines in place.

Gently move it up, so as not to crimp any brake lines and remove the six torx screws and the black module. You would have already removed the two electrical connections. Mount the silver box back into the bracket.

I drove mine with the black box removed and it drove terrible when braking and turning in tight places like parking spots or getting into my garage.

Just be careful and you'll be fine...:bgwb::bwgy::smilewink:bgwo:

Bill Brown
11/14/2014, 12:51 PM
Yes, this is what I did.

Just loosen it from the bracket and loosen the brakelines mounted on the fender well and the firewall. Be careful or you will break the plastic retainers that hold the brake lines in place.

Gently move it up, so as not to crimp any brake lines and remove the six torx screws and the black module. You would have already removed the two electrical connections...How do you disconnect the electrical plug under the harness connector? I was advised to press the pin that keeps the plug in place with a flat head screwdriver. However, can't seem to find by feel the release pin. I don't want to break the plug or anything else. I have not been able to see enough of the plug to figure out how to release a pin or whatever.

Anyone know of a link to an image of the plug?

Mile High VX, when you said "loosen" the brake lines what did you do?

TIA.

Mile High VX
11/14/2014, 01:39 PM
The lines are held in place on the firewall and fender by a plastic holder that the lines snap into. You need to get them free. These plastic pieces will break easily. Spray them down with WD-40 and be gentle. Once free from the holder you'll have enough slack to pull the assembly up to remove the electronic piece from the brake module.

Bill Brown
11/15/2014, 11:14 AM
Shortened a T20 torque screwdriver to reach the "hidden" 6th torque screw. It worked to loosen that near impossible to reach spot. All 6 screws are ready to be removed. However, still haven't managed to remove that electrical plug. I expect I'm going to be embarrassed when I eventually see how easy it should have been to unplug. The wire to the plug has no play so I cannot disconnect the module and access the plug even by loosening the brake lines.

Alltech said they could remove the module in less than 30 minutes, but they would not release my VX back to me until they installed the repaired module due to liability concerns. If I haven't figured out how to unplug that electrical plug by the end of tomorrow I will concede defeat, yet again, on another VX DIY project.:mado:

Mile High VX
11/15/2014, 12:54 PM
However, still haven't managed to remove that electrical plug.

On the right side of the plug you should see a T-handle. Pull that to the right, towards the engine, about 2". If it's stuck just wiggle it up and down (no comments from PK on this phrase is necessary...:smilewink:bgwo:) while pulling to the right. Once it's all the way out the plug will pop out easily.

Bill Brown
11/15/2014, 02:34 PM
On the right side of the plug you should see a T-handle. Pull that to the right, towards the engine, about 2".That sounds like the harness connector, which was the easiest thing to disconnect. The small plug under the harness connection receptacle is the one that has me stumped. Pretty sure there is nothing 2" long associated with that small plug (circled in red).
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c279/billbrown2010/Vehicross/ABSpowerplugcircled_zpsae2897cd.jpg (http://s29.photobucket.com/user/billbrown2010/media/Vehicross/ABSpowerplugcircled_zpsae2897cd.jpg.html)
Here's a side view from the engine of the small plug under the module:
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c279/billbrown2010/Vehicross/100_4344_zps7490a638.jpg (http://s29.photobucket.com/user/billbrown2010/media/Vehicross/100_4344_zps7490a638.jpg.html)
Was going to see how difficult it would be to disconnect the wire bundle from the fender in order to get better access to the under side of the module and that pesky plug.

Thanks for your suggestions, Mile High VX.

Mile High VX
11/15/2014, 03:14 PM
Mine had enough slack to move the unit up and then disconnect on the way out. Not enough to pull all the way out before disconnecting, but enough slack to move and disconnect.

Bill Brown
11/15/2014, 03:23 PM
I was told to use a flat head screwdriver to depress a pin that would release the plug. Did you have to press a pin? Please describe where that pin is located. Was it near the top of the plug? Did you need a screwdriver and did you hold the screwdriver blade horizontally?

I seem so close to resolving this issue without resorting to the sledgehammer nuclear option.

Mile High VX
11/15/2014, 04:01 PM
Not sure exactly...just don't remember it being that hard.

Shop manual doesn't even mention that connection.

Bill Brown
11/15/2014, 04:07 PM
Well, I may just have to actually resort to Alltech to handle an easy fix that was too much for me, yet again. Good to know I'll be helping a tech's kids enjoy a bit merrier Christmas.

I do okay when components are readily visible, but DIY projects requiring me to feel my way around are costly: minor scrapes, cuts, back strain, etc., plus lots and lots of wasted time. Really aggravating to be so close, but to get stumped by a simple plug. Had a similar experience replacing my stock flasher with a LED compatible one. Wasted lots of time, strained my back, etc., then ended up taking the VX to Alltech.

Update: Sunday, 16 Nov 2014

2:30 p.m. - Removed the small plug, undamaged, and removed 4 of the 6 screws. The lower left 2 are proving to be more challenging than anticipated. I can see where having the right tools would have made this task a breeze, such as appropriate length T20 screwdrivers/bits with a small ratchet wrench.

soggybottomboyz
11/17/2014, 12:56 PM
How did you get the plug out?

Bill Brown
11/17/2014, 02:21 PM
How did you get the plug out?After successfully removing the plug I wondered how I could explain the simple action required. Used an angled flathead screwdriver that came with a furniture item I had assembled. Placed the blade horizontally inside the top of the plug receptacle. With very minimal light pressure, used the blade to push the top of the (plastic?) retaining clip outward, which immediately released the plug. Gravity dropped the plug from the receptacle. Very easy to do once you've done it.:winko:

AlexVX
11/25/2014, 10:31 AM
An update on my ASI rebuild - they askeed me to send it back and with Mile High VX's heolp i got it out and sent it back. They took a whole week to thoroughly testes and fond a malfuntione they overlooked first time. Right now its working as exepected! So ASI stad by tey warrantly which is good to know. I did have to pay shipping (bummer) but not repairs.

Daly
12/12/2014, 10:42 AM
Just got my abs module back for second time from rebuilder, no luck still not working.
It looks like I need to get another unit.
I have a bosch but i hear that vehicross also has kelsey hays units. I could use a part number if anybody has it. I could also use a place to find another unit bosch or kelsey hayes if anyone knows a place.

Daly
12/30/2014, 11:24 AM
Got a used abs module (came with pump) for a 1998 Trooper, put it inot, everything works fine

Bill Brown
12/30/2014, 11:48 AM
Got a used abs module (came with pump) for a 1998 Trooper, put it inot, everything works fineGood to know. Thanks for the info. Where and how did you find it? What did it cost you?

disasterlady
02/06/2015, 02:04 PM
So my ABS module went out and I am wanting to do the ASI repair but after reading all of the posts... I'm confused. Is the car drivable and you don't have to bleed the brakes IF I JUST REMOVE the black electrical module and send that off to them?
thanks guys

Mile High VX
02/06/2015, 02:28 PM
So my ABS module went out and I am wanting to do the ASI repair but after reading all of the posts... I'm confused. Is the car drivable and you don't have to bleed the brakes IF I JUST REMOVE the black electrical module and send that off to them?
thanks guys

Yes that is the case.

This is how I did mine.

disasterlady
02/06/2015, 02:51 PM
Thanks Mile high.... I now have to see if I can tackle that removal! Looks daunting from the posts.

tom4bren
02/10/2015, 01:04 PM
Yah, it has to be that way. In case the ABS fails, your brakes still need to work.

Bill Brown
02/18/2015, 09:16 AM
Just for laughs from folks that possess magical under-the-hood abilities, I estimate it took me many hours to finally remove that one screw. Five of the six screws were no problem, but the one in the lower left side (nearest the passenger side wheel well) was a heck of a challenge. All kidding aside, reaching that "hidden" screw caused me to contort myself into ways that resulted in painful back strains. Power to the VXers that were able to remove their ABS module within minutes. As far as I'm concerned those folks must possess superhuman abilities.

I will permanently affix a 2" extension to the head of that one screw to eliminate that access problem in the future.

Makocross
02/18/2015, 01:56 PM
I just changed mine out. At first I thought it would be hard to get at that torx screw, but I just unscrewed the two nuts on either side of the ABS module and it pulled up enough to put the torx driver directly on that last screw. It also made it easier to put it back on(5 minutes), and attach the plugs.
Mike

Bill Brown
02/18/2015, 02:12 PM
...but I just unscrewed the two nuts on either side of the ABS module and...I chickened out after loosening those 2 nuts, because it felt like the brake lines might be damaged. A post recommended spraying the brake line plastic clamps with WD-40. Almost immediately, a small piece of a clamp snapped off when I tried to remove a brake line from that clamp.

Non-vehicle related shortcuts seem to work like a charm for me, but shortcuts related to a motor vehicle turn into grueling nightmares.:upsetgray