PDA

View Full Version : Horn going off when cold

ferralpj
10/07/2008, 05:55 AM
When there is cold weather after the car sits, the horn goes off. Usually under 50 degrees. If I pull the horn fuze, I can park the car overnight or when I travel some place. The dealer said it was the horn part inside the steering wheel assembly inside the vehicle. After 9 months of ordering 4 times the steering wheel assembly (they said it was in stock), the dealer then claimed the part is no longer made and not in stock. Any suggestions? Any place to get a black/grey steering wheel assembly? Any other means to fix the problem besides taking out the horn fuze during cold weather?
Thanks

Ldub
10/07/2008, 06:10 AM
You could get in touch with Tone Monday, (search members list, or find him in right sidebar under "accessories") he used to have a red/black in his inventory, that you could have the dealer transfer the "innards" from...:luck:

ferralpj
10/07/2008, 06:34 AM
Thanks...already tried Tone Monday...they don't have them either

tom4bren
10/07/2008, 07:57 AM
The guy in this thread is parting his out:

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?threadid=14211

Someone already has dibs on the steering wheel but you may be able to beg for it since your need is greater.

Or you could PM member idgaf27. He ownes a boneyard & has been very helpful in locating parts.

ferralpj
10/07/2008, 09:09 AM
Thanks for the info

tom4bren
10/07/2008, 01:01 PM
Just remember that there's an airbag in there so be REEEEEEAL careful when you mess with that thang.

twistedsymphony
10/08/2008, 10:02 AM
just be sure to dis-connect the battery before you start and you should be fine.

I've seen this happen on 3 different cars before and and all 3 times it was the horn itself not the switch...

just something to keep in mind.

you can of course test this by finding the electrical harness that goes to the steering wheel and disconnecting it. it will be separate from the airbag harness and you might end up disconnecting all of the steering column parts as well... so while you wont want to drive it like this, it would be a-ok for leaving it like that over night to see if the horn goes off in the morning... :D

WormGod
10/09/2008, 07:32 AM
Disable that horn and get some Supertones. Other drivers will thank you for it (especially when you beep at THEM ;) ).

ferralpj
10/09/2008, 09:21 AM
Thanks... that is why I think the complete wheel assembly is the best way to go

ferralpj
10/09/2008, 09:23 AM
Great tip...didn't even think it could be the horn itself...thought it was the switch inside the steering wheel....as did the dealer. Thanks

twistedsymphony
10/09/2008, 02:42 PM
Disable that horn and get some Supertones. Other drivers will thank you for it (especially when you beep at THEM ;) ).

Supertones are awesome... and cheap

and they look super mean mounted behind your grill :evil2:

rowhard
10/09/2008, 07:15 PM
So what are supertones? When I google it, i get lyrics, mp3 downloads, tickets for concerts, what have you.

JoFotoz
10/09/2008, 07:46 PM
Just thinking out loud...BUT

Could it be ,that in the cold a metal contact in the wheel is shrinking/warping and completing the circuit...

...as it warms , it expands and breaks contact?

Unlikely to be the horn itself IMO...

...as it doesn't get power until contact is made via the wheel "switch".

MMMMmmmm... perhaps careful disassembly of the wheel to check contacts?

jo

ferralpj
10/10/2008, 03:43 AM
Yea....that is what I think...the wheel contracting when it is cold and it hits the connections. I think you are right. Since the steering wheel assembly isn't available any longer, I'll have to ask the dealer if they can open it and check the switch contacts. I doubt they can since they told me before a new steering wheel assembly was required. Thanks for the comment.

Just thinking out loud...BUT

Could it be ,that in the cold a metal contact in the wheel is shrinking/warping and completing the circuit...

...as it warms , it expands and breaks contact?

Unlikely to be the horn itself IMO...

...as it doesn't get power until contact is made via the wheel "switch".

MMMMmmmm... perhaps careful disassembly of the wheel to check contacts?

jo

twistedsymphony
10/10/2008, 07:32 PM
taking apart the steering wheel shouldn't be too difficult if you've got the tools...

typically there are small bolt covers on the left and right of the center portion with a large security torx bit , unscrewing that will let you remove the air bag, at that point you should be able to easily access the horn crap.

at least that's how ever other steering wheel I've ever taken apart has looked.

as for "supertones" it's a model of horn made by Hella... you might have better luck searching for "Hella Supertones"

they're really popular with the Subaru crowd, they're big and red and for some reason Impreza owners love to stick them in the grill...

check this out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7VH-6158RI

I actually have a set, uninstalled, don't let the video fool you they are LOUD!

They're pretty cheap too. I, picked mine up new for $45 a few years back, they might not look bad centered behind the tusks on a VX :cool:

kpaske
10/12/2008, 11:09 AM
The same thing happens to mine occassionally, but only when it gets REALLY cold. I always thought it was due to some moisture somewhere freezing and completing an electrical circuit, but i suppose the expansion hypothesis might be a little more plausible, given that it only happens only the very coldest of nights. I've got some Hellas that need to be installed - maybe if I get around to it sometime soon we'll see if that solves my issue...

WormGod
04/06/2009, 09:05 PM
as for "supertones" it's a model of horn made by Hella... you might have better luck searching for "Hella Supertones"

they're really popular with the Subaru crowd, they're big and red and for some reason Impreza owners love to stick them in the grill...

check this out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7VH-6158RI

I actually have a set, uninstalled, don't let the video fool you they are LOUD!

They're pretty cheap too. I, picked mine up new for $45 a few years back, they might not look bad centered behind the tusks on a VX :cool:

Back to this supertones topic for a sec....

I FINALLY got around to installing mine in the VX tonight (like you said.... us Subie guys have strange fetishes.... the VX just HAD to match my WRX ;) ). Well, not so much. Simply put, the supertones don't fit between the grill and the radiator. THE SUCK! The grill is quite concave and sits back quite a bit. More than I actually imagined. I am pretty bummed about this. I REALLY wanted them to work. For now, I have one installed in place of the OEM horn, but it just isn't the same. :(

etlsport
04/07/2009, 01:57 AM
try removing the front bumper... lotsa room there.. i managed to get an 18" trumpet in there.. and while youre in there you can pull the second factory horn (under passenger headlight)

WormGod
04/07/2009, 07:48 AM
Well, there are many options, but I was trying to go with the traditional "Subie fanatic" mount as mentioned above, heh.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1206/825209848_fe1526ec4e.jpg?v=0

(not mine pictured, but mounted in the same manner on my WRX)

Oh well.... :(

don moore
04/07/2009, 08:56 AM
looks kool ..might have to do it to mine.....add some window washer sprayer in there:p pointing forward..and you can spit on things..

pbkid
04/08/2009, 12:41 PM
damn, i was getting ready to order mine...there is no way to get them to fit in behind the center grill??? even with a little cutting and a little bracket making?

Gussie2000
04/08/2009, 01:19 PM
I need not two but four of those supertones honks so when i'm 20 cars behind the 1rst car at the traffic light the ahole can hear me honking at him\she to make them keep moving when traffic light turns green instead of texting or watching videos on their Iphones here in NYC.

Damn it,I really hate to drive in this hell of a city

WormGod
04/09/2009, 08:21 AM
I have found no way to do it. On the pass. side with the fan, totally not. The driver's side, looks like something might work, but the grill ribs sink in far enough that there is not enough room in that sammich for more meat. The only 2 places I found that I would use are just behind the headlights. I am weighing against doing it at all now though. Really wanted the red eyes peeking through the grill. ;)

don moore
04/10/2009, 08:20 AM
how about behind the slots in the bumper in front??