PDA

View Full Version : Can I change Differential Fluid Brands?

tomdietrying
10/07/2008, 11:54 AM
I used Royal Purple to change out my differential fluids 40ks ago. It's time to do it again. If I change over from Royal Purple to the Izusu brand, can this hurt my VX? I think I can save myself about $120 if I use their Izusu fluid.
Thanks.
Tom

tom4bren
10/07/2008, 12:07 PM
As long as you do a good job in draining out the old, it shouldn't be a problem.

tomdietrying
10/07/2008, 12:33 PM
Does that also include the transmission fluid?
Peace.
Tom

tom4bren
10/07/2008, 12:53 PM
Well ... is the Isuzu fluid synthetic? If yes, then it will definitely not be a problem. If no, then it's still OK to do, just make sure to clean everything as best you can before refilling.

Ldub
10/08/2008, 05:37 AM
Tom,

Having never used RP, I'm only familiar with Amsoil.
On the label it says: "compatible with petroleum fluids"

And here is a statement from the RP website: Max ATF is fully compatible and can be mixed with other automatic transmission fluids; however, for the best results drain or flush the current oil and then fill with Max ATF.

Here is a link to the RP site: http://www.royalpurple.com/

A little snoopin' around there, should answer all your questions...:thumbup:

nfpgasmask
10/08/2008, 08:30 AM
Well wait, Tom, you are talking about Diffs or Trans or both? I believe the diffs take their own fluid, with some LSD in the rear. Your trans and transfer case take ATF. I'm running Mobile-1 all around in my diffs and trans/xfer case. Personally, I can't imagine it causing a problem if you were running synth and then just change to a different brand of synth, but then again, I am no expert.

My front diff is still seeping. :(

Bart

tomdietrying
10/08/2008, 05:34 PM
Yeah Bart, I was talking about doing it all since it's been 40k since I changed them.

Thanks Larry for the link.

Peace.
Tom