PDA

View Full Version : Trans leaking at pan area

lasturbo
10/16/2008, 11:34 PM
I bought my VX, as some of you know from my previous threads, with 133k on it and gradually servicing all the points on the vehicle. I already had a small leak from the trans pan area so I figured after I did the trans.service, I would kill 2 birds w/one stone. The first replacement was with the FRAM kit that comes with the filter and cork gasket. Replaced items and a day later, still gettin some pink fluid on the ground from the pan area.(Note: I did change the smaller pan in front of the trans pan with a factory gasket and all OK). All was torqued to book spec and I even snugged them more but leak still present. I decided to buy the factory gasket and still the same result. Pink fluid leak from the pan area and all parts cleaned w/no residue and torqued to book spec. I even snugged these a little more w/the factory gasket and still a leak. Is there any problems with the pan warping or something above the pan area that has a potential to leak that I may be missing or someone has had an issue similar to mine?? Thanks for any feedback, experiences, and/or direction.

kodiak
10/17/2008, 12:58 AM
Make sure it’s not leaking from the drain or fill plugs. If it is, clean the plug washer and hole surfaces with very fine sand paper. If fluid is coming out of the fill plug then more then likely it’s over filled. If you remove the fill plug and fluid starts to come out let it drain entail it stops then it will be at its correct level.

PS: You might need to replace a plug and or washer, if you can’t a light coating of Dow Corning RTV will do the trick.;)

CoastieCosta567
10/17/2008, 12:59 AM
hey there bro, i have the same issue, i nevered leaked but only aroung the mode switch next to the pan area, after a rock i hit offroading, but then i went to get a tranny fluid flush and replace the oil and gasket and it still leaks and i replace the gasket again and still does it, it has been like that for like 8 months now, hope you find the issue, if so let me know. good luck bro, if i find something i'll let you know as well.

I bought my VX, as some of you know from my previous threads, with 133k on it and gradually servicing all the points on the vehicle. I already had a small leak from the trans pan area so I figured after I did the trans.service, I would kill 2 birds w/one stone. The first replacement was with the FRAM kit that comes with the filter and cork gasket. Replaced items and a day later, still gettin some pink fluid on the ground from the pan area.(Note: I did change the smaller pan in front of the trans pan with a factory gasket and all OK). All was torqued to book spec and I even snugged them more but leak still present. I decided to buy the factory gasket and still the same result. Pink fluid leak from the pan area and all parts cleaned w/no residue and torqued to book spec. I even snugged these a little more w/the factory gasket and still a leak. Is there any problems with the pan warping or something above the pan area that has a potential to leak that I may be missing or someone has had an issue similar to mine?? Thanks for any feedback, experiences, and/or direction.

lasturbo
10/17/2008, 10:23 AM
It is definitely above the drain plug area as it is wet where the pan mates to the trans. housing but the pink flud spreads ( I did replace the drain plug gaskets with the factory ones when I did the service). That is why the curiosity came up if the pans are prone to warpage or if there is something above the pan area that can leak that maybe some of you have had or seen. I do want to make sure it stays full until the problem is solved cuz I do not want to burn up a tranny!!:_brickwal

nfpgasmask
10/17/2008, 01:42 PM
I've never heard of the pan warping but maybe it got hit once that was enought to tweak just enough for a slow leak. Also, when you dropped the pan and removed the old gasket, did you clean the old gasket off enough? I have seen the gasket completely rotted and caked onto the pan lip. Maybe there is some residue on the pan or the housing above that is causing a small amount of leakage. Have you considered replacing the pan?

Good luck.

Bart

lasturbo
10/18/2008, 02:55 PM
I am blessed to work at a dealer where we have a lift so we do not have to crawl under the car to perform this. We cleaned the pan very good and all residue and even with a factory gasket (on the second go-around), it leaks. Is there a component(s) above the tranny or on the side of the tranny that can leak or anyone has replaced besides a tranny gasket? I guess it is back on a lift and troubleshoot.

psychos2
10/19/2008, 04:49 AM
Did you use anything on the gasket ? If not I would try silicone on both sides of the gasket. First I would use some engine cleaner on the tranny so it is clean .Then look for the leak. It will make it easier to find. If it is the pan use silicone To make a better seal. And do not over tighten the bolts , that is how the sealing surface on the pan gets bent and then it will not seal properly. shawn

lasturbo
10/24/2008, 09:42 AM
Did you use anything on the gasket ? If not I would try silicone on both sides of the gasket. First I would use some engine cleaner on the tranny so it is clean .Then look for the leak. It will make it easier to find. If it is the pan use silicone To make a better seal. And do not over tighten the bolts , that is how the sealing surface on the pan gets bent and then it will not seal properly. shawn

It is not recommended to use any sealant cuz if even the tiny piece of silicone/sealant gets into the trans. side, it could get tangled in the intricate parts of the tranny and cause issues. I need to clean the whole area again and run it to pinpoint because that pink fluid spreads so easily especially when it is warm. Will follow-up again once I get some time to get back under there! Thanks for the feedback gang!

lasturbo
11/17/2008, 11:33 PM
Finally got the car back in the shop with one of my Porsche Techs and we cleaned the area and took a peek. Cleaned the whole trans and found fluid leaking at the left side pan area and spreading. The only other seal in that area is above the pan gasket called the selector shaft seal. We pulled the mode switch housing off and low and behold found a very aged and brittle seal. We cleaned the old seal out, which fell apart upon contact, cleaned area, inserted new selector shaft seal, remount mode switch, top up fluid and run it. No leaks. 2nd day now and still no leaks. Selector shaft seal part #8-08644-709-0 and less than 6 bucks! What a relief and no more pink fluid all over the garage catch pan! :thumbup:

kodiak
11/18/2008, 05:05 AM
Thanks!! This is some really good info, I can see this helping a lot of members.:thumbup:

Finally got the car back in the shop with one of my Porsche Techs and we cleaned the area and took a peek. Cleaned the whole trans and found fluid leaking at the left side pan area and spreading. The only other seal in that area is above the pan gasket called the selector shaft seal. We pulled the mode switch housing off and low and behold found a very aged and brittle seal. We cleaned the old seal out, which fell apart upon contact, cleaned area, inserted new selector shaft seal, remount mode switch, top up fluid and run it. No leaks. 2nd day now and still no leaks. Selector shaft seal part #8-08644-709-0 and less than 6 bucks! What a relief and no more pink fluid all over the garage catch pan! :thumbup:

SoTxVx
03/18/2009, 02:35 PM
So my shaft selector seal is also leaking but it does not crumble upon impact and there is very limited space to get the old seal out. Any tips on how to remove the old seal? Do I have to remove the shaft?

Thanks

lasturbo
03/18/2009, 05:50 PM
As far as I know the shaft does not come out unless the trans is taken apart. We fished out the seal peaces with a fine pick (dentist tool) being very careful not to damage the seal housing. We then cleaned the area and pressed in the seal and remounted the mode switch and performed the trans. fluid check procedure per the shop manual. I believe the dealer charges 1.5 hours of labor to replace it if it becomes an issue. The part was about 6 bucks.

pbkid
03/18/2009, 06:21 PM
holy old thread rival...but a valid question...so i commend you SoTxVx

nfpgasmask
06/06/2011, 08:21 AM
Hey Larry, so is your tranny still leak free?

Bart

SoTxVx
06/06/2011, 06:12 PM
I never posted an update on this one.

Leaking seal behind the mode selector switch can be replaced without tearing apart the trans. Local trans shop had a small tool that worked itself between the shaft and seal face and extracted the old seal. Cleaned the area and pressed in the new seal. No leaking trans fluid since.

nfpgasmask
06/06/2011, 06:15 PM
John, you're talking the selector shaft seal, right? I think mine might be leaking from there still and the pan. All that is getting replaced soon. I'm crossing my fingers.

Bartr

SoTxVx
06/06/2011, 07:14 PM
Yes. Small round seal around the gear selector shaft on the drivers side of the transmission.