PDA

View Full Version : leaks

tuppz
10/19/2008, 07:02 PM
Help Reno VX owners,

I was recently told that I had a RF axle seal leak and T-case leak

800.00 bucks!! This seems a bit steep for about 80.00 bucks for parts.

Anywhere I can take it to other than the dealer?

T.

nfpgasmask
10/20/2008, 11:07 AM
Hey,

Well, we can certainly take a look for you and give you our "professional" opinion. :) Do you know where the leak is coming from? Is it from the fill or drain bolt? Or maybe from the seal? When was the last time you had a trans service performed? Give us your details.

Where have you been? Is this the first time you are on the forum? We are always looking for new members to join us here in Reno. Maybe you would be interested in meeting up with the group sometime for lunch or dinner and we could take a look at your truck.

Bart

tuppz
10/20/2008, 12:18 PM
Yo, This is my first time on the forum. I didnt event know it existed until I met

a VX owner in Sand City Ca. He gave me the scoop about the forum. He had a

2001 Firefox. A real beauty compared to my beater. Anyway I just took to it

Izuzu lithia where I always take it. I was told of the problem after an oil change

and coolant flush.

nfpgasmask
10/20/2008, 12:31 PM
Welcome to the forum!!! You will find lots of useful info here as well as good company! Are you the one with the ski/board racks up top? I have seen a few silver VXes around town, one used to be parked all the time at the Men's Warehouse, and one in NW Reno I used to see a lot with ski gear up top.

Anyway, the trans/xfer case service is important. Have you ever had a full trans service done? This would mean dropping the pan and changing out the filter and putting a new gasket in place, as well as draining and refilling all fluids. I have done mine twice, and its not hard, just a little messy and I would designate a full afternoon to get it done. A would imagine a shop would charge around $800 for this service because it does take some time. If you have never done this, I would imagine you may have some rotting around the gasket that could cause a leak, or possibly a bad fill/drain bolt.

Another thing to think about, is if you have had your fluid drained and filled, the shop may have not done it properly. The trans is easy to over/under fill if you do not do it right. Both scenrios can be bad for your trans. How is shifting gears? Clunky or ok?

Bart

nfpgasmask
10/20/2008, 12:41 PM
So was it Bren who you met in California?

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=14133

Bart

workmeistr
10/20/2008, 02:34 PM
It's about time you showed up, Tom. :bwgy:

Welcome to the forum and I envy you being in the good hands of the Reno VX crowd up there.

Good luck with your project. It does sound like something you can do yourself with some beer and guidance. Take care, Bren.

tuppz
10/20/2008, 03:26 PM
Hey Bren, and everyone else on the forum. I guess I will get work done soon

before it cost me a lot more. Its funny that it took Bren to inform me about this

forum since I live in reno and have been honking and waving to all VX owners I

see. I live in Double Diamond and have a neighbor behind me that owns a dark

green VX. I've seen just about every VX in Reno There is someone out there

that has a double of mine. 99 silver with a yakima rack. Then there is the silver

lift with big *** tires. Never had the chance to actually talk to anyone

except Bren. But Im sure that will change now. One more thing. I have

always noticed when I stop at a light or whatever there's a kind of clunk

sound. Since this has been going on for years I assumed its normal....Is it?

Everything else is good other than the windows and oil consumption.

BTW- could the clunking sound possiby be the TOD engaging and

disengaging?

T Upp

PS I have a right door motor assembly for sell never used. Bought it thinking that was the problem. make offer.

nfpgasmask
10/20/2008, 03:35 PM
Hey Tom,

Cool, you live down by me and CrnCnn. I live in south Reno also. We should meet up at the new Bully's sometime soon. I know the other guys will be down for dinner and few brewskies.

The clunk is normal for the most part, except it can be better or worse. To me, it sounds like you need a trans service, which I am sure we can help you with, that is, if you wanna save some money, get a little dirty and spend some quality time with the other VXers in town. It's actually an easy job when you have a couple helpers. After my first trans service, my shifting and clunking was WAY better. This is part of the VX that I think gets let go too long and too often, and mainly because our trans is a closed system and requires more work to get at.

I bet the Dragon you live by belongs to the lady who works at the post office off Mccabe Dr. I met her a few weeks ago. She has less than 20k on her clock!!! :cool:

We get together pretty often, and it would be really cool to add another VXer to the pack. I've been working on David (oldguywithgoodtaste) for a while too, he also has an Astral...

A 5 member meet-up would be sooooo sweet. :)

Bart

kodiak
10/20/2008, 03:50 PM
Welcome to the family, if you ever get stuck in the desert the VX rescue brigade is always a call away. Right Bart?...And it will only cost you a round of beer and pizza.

Does it clunk as you accelerate from a stop?

nfpgasmask
10/20/2008, 03:53 PM
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Welcome to the family, if you ever get stuck in the desert the VX rescue brigade is always a call away. Right Bart?

Absolutely! With such a rare vehicle, and such a following, VXers are always stronger in numbers. :)

Bart

tuppz
10/20/2008, 09:15 PM
yep it clunks at start up. But after hearing about all the 99 engine failures I'm pretty lucky.....so far. 73K

nfpgasmask
10/20/2008, 09:32 PM
yep it clunks at start up. But after hearing about all the 99 engine failures I'm pretty lucky.....so far. 73K

Just keep checkin that oil!

:) Bart

kodiak
10/21/2008, 02:12 PM
Ya, get your transition flushed.

tuppz
10/31/2008, 12:40 AM
Yes, and so far so good.

nfpgasmask
10/31/2008, 02:46 PM
Yes, and so far so good.

So your VX is all good? No more leaking?

Bart

Solitude
10/31/2008, 04:33 PM
If its the clunk you hear when you stop.. and then let up on the brake.. or when you ready to take off between brake and gas.. That is normal.. TSB says its normal and mine has done it since it was new.