PDA

View Full Version : To buy or not?

Toad80t
10/23/2008, 02:17 PM
Should I buy the "Certificates for Free Replacement" on the new nittos I'm getting? It is an additional $76 Bucks. Just want opinions. I'm just unsure if it is worth it.

It would be from Discount tire.

circmand
10/23/2008, 02:28 PM
Read the paperwork and make sure they do not void if you put them on your vehicle. Check if it is replacement or reduced price to cover the wear and tear you already got.

etlsport
10/23/2008, 02:34 PM
also check to see if it covers off-road use.. a lot of things like that are voided instantly when you take the tires offroad

ZEUS
10/23/2008, 03:39 PM
I have had 2 sets of BFG M/T's from Discount with the lifetime replacement program. My experience with them has been VERY positive! I had to replace one brand new tire after running over a fork that stabbed the sidewall somehow in a KFC drive thru - no problem, free tire, just had to buy a new warranty for the new tire. My dad recently replaced 2 of our first BFG's - they were purchased in 2000 by someone else and mounted on a Jeep. We swapped them onto a different Jeep that is mostly offroaded, and driven on road with 20 psi mostly. Both tires were well used and had sidewall damage - both were replaced, but one particular Discount shop was a little more strict than the other 2 we have visited - still replaced the tire though. No experience with Nittos from Discount, however...

Solitude
10/24/2008, 07:59 AM
I also have the "certificates" .. after running over a curb, and blowing tire and ruining rim.. I questioned the reason I got them since i had to buy another certificate with the "free" replacement, but after running over a 16 penny nail and not being able to patch (corner tread/sidewall)..

I was happy`to buy another certificate with the "free replacement". At 140 a piece without certificates..

I think the total bill was 730 dollars for the original 4 with tax and all the rest of the BS. but I am pretty sure that 6 x 140 plus tax is a bit more then that..

good luck

mdwyer
10/24/2008, 08:17 AM
I suppose they make sense for the first couple of thousand miles, but after the tires have worn somewhat, the AWD system demands that your tires be the same size, within a suprisingly small variance.

So, if you lose one tire, you've got to replace all four... and they're only going to cover one of them.

ISCE
10/24/2008, 12:23 PM
I suppose they make sense for the first couple of thousand miles, but after the tires have worn somewhat, the AWD system demands that your tires be the same size, within a suprisingly small variance.

So, if you lose one tire, you've got to replace all four... and they're only going to cover one of them.

That's exactly what I was thinking. I have the Terra Grapplers and they are great tires. I would say my opinion is to NOT get the extra.

tom4bren
10/24/2008, 12:39 PM
" ... the AWD system demands that your tires be the same size, within a suprisingly small variance"

Rotate tires often - 3X/year is not too often.

MSHardeman
10/24/2008, 04:49 PM
I have had my Terra Grapplers for three years now. I've run over some crazy stuff and wheeled them in Moab for those same past three years. Either they are some pretty tough tires, or I'm very lucky (or maybe a little of both). I've never had a problem with them and don't think that you will either.

That's just my two cents.

mdwyer
10/27/2008, 09:25 AM
Rotate tires often - 3X/year is not too often.

I don't rotate mine often enough. I lost my tires on the Subaru because of it, too. I ruined the alignment in rutted streets, then ate the tires. It ate the inside of the rear tires, where I never saw it. The dealership brought it to my attention.

So, that was an expensive mistake. I should know better now, but... The VX is still overdue for a rotation. :(